The Covers Thread

Jorgi

^Definite no no if you're gonna record using Audacity lol.

I've running Ableton Live 8 Suite, which is basically a professional level program up there with Pro Tools and Cubase etc.

You're probably hyper jealous and all, but to be fair I'm not rich at all, I am just lucky that my sister lives in Germany and literally works for Ableton, so I saved myself 1300 AUD.

I've had this damn program since April this year and two months later it's still confusing at times, it's just so ridiculously feature packed and complex.

If it's any consolation, I don't even own a guitar amp (I run a second hand Line 6 POD X3 Live into studio monitors, which is reasonable I guess since studio monitors are useful for mixing) and I bought my 7 string (mind you, it's used guitar too) and POD out of my own money (from back in the days when I had a job, I'm a jobless bum now:mrgreen:)

Send me a few bass tracks for shits and giggles, nothing more hilarious than stuff recording via a PC microphone going into freeware like Audacity:mrgreen:

I might just have to torrent that program then :D But I'll see what I can do.

Also, in no way am I jealous at all. I get free software too (my dad has an msdn account and I get free microsoft software like any operating system). A question about that software you mentioned: would it sound semi decent if I used my super-spectacular pc mic, or would I need to get direct input?

Also, there is nothing wrong with buying used equipment. I am currently on the hunt for a used Stingray 5, and boy is it going to be difficult because I am picky as ever (HAS to be a maple neck and HAS to be a light color ie: either white or natural)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like you haven't heard Kezia, and you need to fix that right away. If I'll cover a song from Fortress, it will be Bloodmeat. No doubt about it.

Oh no, I've got A Calculated Use of Sound and Kezia too, don't worry about that, I listen to PTH at least 3 days a week.

I'm just saying if it's off Fortress, it would be super awesome because that's my favorite work from the band thus so far.

Cover Blindfolds Aside too! Someone has to quickly hand you an acoustic guitar for the last section lol.

I might just have to torrent that program then :D But I'll see what I can do.

Also, in no way am I jealous at all. I get free software too (my dad has an msdn account and I get free microsoft software like any operating system). A question about that software you mentioned: would it sound semi decent if I used my super-spectacular pc mic, or would I need to get direct input?

Also, there is nothing wrong with buying used equipment. I am currently on the hunt for a used Stingray 5, and boy is it going to be difficult because I am picky as ever (HAS to be a maple neck and HAS to be a light color ie: either white or natural)

I really wouldn't torrent Ableton. It's an absolutely massive program.

What you can download, legally and for free however, is Reaper. If you like the program you can buy it eventually if you're a good hearted man:P but yeah, it has full functionality without needing to pay a cent.

There are plenty of guys getting truly world class professional results with Reaper, so I recommend you give it a spin.

If I wasn't using Ableton and had no money, I would have been using Reaper.

For recording bass, I could say just wait 'til you win the lottery, buy uber expensive cables, bass amp heads/cabinets etc and go to a pro studio.

But I wont (but sadly I already did).

Well okay, so here's how it is (time for lots of text):

Basically, you need a certain level of gear and software before you can get stuff that sounds pretty damn good.

You're covered on the software side of things with Reaper fortunately.

Also fortunately, in today's day and age there is tons of VST plugs in meaning you no longer have to go out and buy outboard physical hardware compressors, limiters, reverb units etc etc.

In Audio Engineering terms, this approach of recording using solely digital plug ins with no outboard gear is called doing it "In The Box" (ITB).

Due to me being poor and jobless and the fact there is so many amazing high quality VST plugs in that are totally free to download, I do all my stuff ITB.

And there is nothing wrong with that at all, because nowadays even world class producers/engineers are using this approach, Andy Sneap coming to mind (you might be familiar with his productions if you're into a fair bit of modern metal, stuff made from the late 90s onwards).

He's done Arch Enemy stuff, 2 Killswitch albums, the last two Megadeth albums (well, as in United Abominations and the one that is coming out soonish),3 Nevermore albums, Opeth's "Deliverance album", some Exodus.

Basically listen to that stuff for awesome production values:mrgreen:

Anyway, back to what I was saying.

Hardware wise, for getting a good quality result your PC mic is about as useful as a helicopter ejector seat. It just cannot be done.

My advice is to just save up a decent wad of cash and buy a high quality recording interface and also possible a Direct injection box too.

Assuming you've got a good and fairly fast computer that is all you really need to achieve high quality recorded bass tones recording. You don't need to spend 10s of thousands of dollars luckily.

The rest is really knowing how to use the software and hardware once you have it and of course, having a good ear for good tone is absolutely essential.

I can't say my stuff sounds amazing yet, production wise since I am only basically just in the beginning stages of learning audio engineering, but hopefully what I do know so far can help other people anyway.

Feel free to ask more questions now or later down the track.

• 1 month later...
Time is neither a motive nor a boundary when art is being created. SUCK IT UP.

You've had well over a month bitch:twisted:

You learning it by ear or something rather than taking the easy way out with tabs?

I tend to go by ear for when I learn stuff, feels more rewarding that way.

I only resort to tabs when I absolutely cannot pick out particular parts by ear.

That month was spent on other things, though... But, I've had a few days of peace now so I learned the song and recorded it.

Bloodmeat

I had to pick up a few parts by ear since the tab was totally off (mostly the shreddy stuff), but other than that, I learned everything from the tab.

Of course this isn't perfect, but I simply can't invest my time in it any longer, and this should keep Harry's mouth shut for a few weeks. :razz:

I'll give that a solid 4/5 Pekka. I'm ignoring the sound quality since I don't expect it to sound wonderful and just going by the playing.

I can't really say much that you don't already know, like some of it is a bit sloppy at times. Which is fair, since Protest The Hero play some pretty super technical stuff anyway and to be honest I couldn't do any better than you did.

Hell you did a good job on the sweep picking bit in that last second last section, articulated the notes fairly well, so respect for that man.

There are some better covers than yours, but yours is still a fair bit better than many of them too, hence the 4/5.

I guess it's up to me to post a cover of my stuff. I don't have any excuse not to anymore that my dad has a digital video camera.

Thanks! Even I can admit that playing super technical stuff is a lame excuse for sloppy playing, though :lol: I don't know if it's the guitar or me, but I really have to HAMMER the notes down with force if I want to have any sound out of the tapping parts. My poor middle finger is screaming for mercy...

You are the one with the 7 stringer, so I'd say do Dance Of Eternity or Glass Prison. :)

Thanks! Even I can admit that playing super technical stuff is a lame excuse for sloppy playing, though :lol: I don't know if it's the guitar or me, but I really have to HAMMER the notes down with force if I want to have any sound out of the tapping parts. My poor middle finger is screaming for mercy...

You are the one with the 7 stringer, so I'd say do Dance Of Eternity or Glass Prison. :)

Lack of gain maybe? I imagine your guitar isn't hard to play, so that strikes me as odd with the excessive force needed to tap.

Only things I can think of is you need a touch more compression/gain, otherwise no idea dude. I never have that problem with my guitars, so I dunno.

Glass Prison, FUCK THAT, lol, Petrucci can't even play the alt picked arpeggios live, so I don't stand a chance lol.

And I don't even like Dance of Eternity to be honest, so that's out.

I've got stuff in the works, but I ain't gonna ruin the surprise and tell what it is/what they are yet.

Stay tuned over the next few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Rearrangements, I like that shit. You're a thinking man, which is good. Whenever I cover stuff that has a lot of space to breathe guitar wise (like Paramore for an obvious example) I always like rearranging things and/or adding things in so I can show off some of my own style too.

Yeah, definitely! Paramore's a gold mine for that!

...I'm starting to think that the C#m7add13- was my own invention now that you mentioned adding your own stuff. :willy_nilly:

As is the G5dim I use in Ignorance as a "passing chord" between G and Bm to bring the tension to the boiling point. >=)

I learned Ignorance and BBBB to take my mind off the fact that I'm determined not to listen to the full album just yet:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2jdgl6g&s=4

I can't be bothered to dig up my electric guitar. :)

BBBB is coming once it's uploaded.

I think I'll record Ignorance again rearranged later this week... I want to figure out a way to play both guitars at the same time now and make some minor tweaks on the voice leading.

BBBB

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=73m9ap&s=4

Yo! When I have time, I'll definately learn them to play. No doubt about it. Probably in the fall break I'll have so much time...

Anyways great covers, and you just learnt them by ear I think. I would have never done that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgI90haI3o

Okay, this needs to be redone, but I decided to put it up anyway for now.

I had not played this song in about 2 weeks before today, hence why it isn't as good as it could have been.

I also recorded it too late in the day (at like, 5pm) hence the less than perfect lightning conditions.

I'll redo it tomorrow hopefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgI90haI3o

Okay, this needs to be redone, but I decided to put it up anyway for now.

I had not played this song in about 2 weeks before today, hence why it isn't as good as it could have been.

I also recorded it too late in the day (at like, 5pm) hence the less than perfect lightning conditions.

I'll redo it tomorrow hopefully.

You and your 7 string guitar look awesome together. :P

Anyways I loved the end of the song. You gave that a little metal.