What Song Are You Learning?

Ahh just though I'd do this. Considering we all do something here be it sing, Play guitar or piano etc.

Right now I'm slaying "Lights in the Sky" by Nine Inch Nails.

I reccomend it, It's real easy and it's a good mello song to play at night when you're sitting in the dark.

I've been learning Drifting by Andy McKee and I pretty much have it under my fingers now. It's hard to practice it though, because I don't usually do tapping with my index finger and definitely not on a steel-string acoustic, so it starts to hurt like hell after a while. The only thing left now is to iron out the little kinks and build up my index finger into the tapping machine it was destined to be. The open Dsus4 tuning has made playing other songs a bit harder, but I guess it's sort of fun to rearrange stuff for that tuning. :shifty:

Another song is Recuerdos De La Alhambra. I've been playing it to work on my tremolo picking which has been in a really bad shape ever since the trip to the army in the beginning of 2008 and I've never really made the effort to get it back in shape. It's coming together...

Never heard that particular NIN song before, but I do remember Limelight and that has a really good guitar solo in it! Are you learning that as well, Cheyenne?

Are we talking about the acoustic or studio version of My Heart here? o.o

Either way it's pretty easy.

From the album "The Slip".

To be honest I kinda of feel repetition in that album...with the exception of a few....umwell you'll see what I mean.

Year Zero is an album where I can say I like all songs.

Some cool songs here folks.

Never heard that NIN song either nor the entire The Slip album at all, I'll be sure to check it out, because I was a big fan of The Fragile.

Admittedly I can't stomach Geddy Lee's vocals anymore, but otherwise Moving Pictures is a great album. I used to know how to play "YYZ" (which I can still listen to because there is no vocals) but I haven't practiced it since 2008, so I'd be super rusty now.

Andy Mckee......too much for me. Woot that rhymed:p Seriously though, that acoustic shit goes way over my head. Great song though.

Recuerdos De La Alhambra is a great piece, Tárrega was definitely a master.

Never heard that song from The Living End. Must be off one of the new albums, as I'm stuck in the dark ages and only listen to their first two EPs and their debut album.

I'm learning my heart, because Erin told me to.

So would you eat solid blocks of frozen urine if Erin told you too?

:P

Ah it's all cool. Get someone to film you playing it. I know you mentioned your camera is shit, why not borrow one off someone or get someone to film you playing it?

It's a cool song, I love improvising a guitar solo from 3:23 until the end of the song.

^ I dunno if any of my friends have a good camera, I'll have to ask them. Hahaha, and no guitar solos from me, I'm not very good at guitar solos lol :')

And when you put it like that, I would not eat solid blocks of frozen urine if Erin told me too xD

I am actually not learning any "Prog/Thrash", much to Jorgi's disappointment:p I don't really have the patience to learn 10+ minute songs.

After seeing the amount of instrumental shred guitarists who seem to have killer leads (and hell, some of them don't, half the time it's mindless wanking away) but seem to be totally lacking in the riff department, I've well and truly given up on trying to the fastest lead player on the block and I'm really trying to the most well rounded rock guitarist I can be, by learning to play killer riffs as well as solos.

Very gay youtube quality of course, playing the fucking thing in mono.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlojzlR5cHc

This song is from Soilwork's more "commercial/mainstream alternative metal" period and you can probably tell from the song, but nonetheless it's a fairly challenging song to play. I think the song is played on a 6 string guitar tuned down to B standard, but I just play it on my 7 string.

Their "commercial/mainstream alternative metal" period or not, I really dig this song and the album that it's from, Stabbing the Drama and couldn't give two fucks about the "metalheads" that tell me it isn't "tr00 metul".

The chorus is groovy as fuck, I fucking love playing that chorus riff. Also pretty catchy chorus if I might say so. Cool, melodic guitar solo too.

Also learning some Killswitch Engage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wG6pSfgdec

Again, pretty groovy shit. Great riffage, cool song (IMO). One of the biggest challenges in this song is not the actual riffs themselves, but the silence.

Both guitarists from Killswitch Engage are pretty much world class rhythm guitarists and have some serious technique down, so it's a challenge to nail all those stops and to keep the strings muted absolutely perfect as you go into the sliding octave chords.

I actually play this song one semi tone down from the original by using some software to alter the pitch, which allows me to play it on my 7 string without fucking with the tuning of my guitar (KSE play in drop C)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INLOntmIIbA

I'm not learning this version, (I'm learning the studio version of Breathe Life), but yeah it's from the same album as the song End of Heartache and I think that was a good performance of the song.

Great thrash metal influenced riffing going on and although KSE aren't known for guitar solos, it has a killer, melodic and surprisingly hard to play guitar solo.

Again, much like the Soilwork song and The End of Heartache, this song focuses on rhythm guitar chops and just getting that muting technique down well.

Also, I play this song one semi tone down, like the other KSE, so it's playable on my 7 string.

Pretty much just learning NIN songs.

Another version of the truth, Lights in the sky and-oh geez that's it really. I got the biggest ego boost today when I looked for some "time to pretend" tabs and found out the way I play by ear is the way it's played on a 5 star tab 8-)

except isntead of

---------------------------

-----------------------------

-----------------------12-----

10-10-10-10-10-10-10----

I go :

---------------------------------------

---0-0-0-0-0-0-0--7----------------------------

---5-5-5-5-5-5-5--0---------------------------

I've been coming up with a lot of my own stuff lately, so I haven't been trying to learn anything much. But I did attempt to learn The Crimson by Atreyu by ear, I'm thinking about continuing on it.

I can't learn a full song by ear...There's just way too much clutter. Especially in Chinese Democracy(The entire album), There's so many little effects and it's just a gigant big epic clutterfuck.

I'm learning me some more songs in a few.

I'm currently practicing this:

|--------------------------|

|----------3-0---5-6p5----|

|--0-0-3-4----3--------5--|

|--0-0---------------------|

Then I start from with same two open strings again, but then I start from the fifth fret instead of the 3rd.

Something I came up with, its simple, but I keep messing up. Gotta keep practicin' it.

I'm learning all the songs I posted on the previous page by ear actually. I tend to feel more rewarded doing it that way if it's possible, rather than resorting to tabs.

There's a few riffs in "Breathe Life" that are kicking my ears ass though, so I'm gonna need to use my recording software to slow the song down so I can hear the notes.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a thumb pick and started to learn

. I actually had to take a day off from practicing because my fretting fingers were totally dead after playing it for one day.

I'm also looking at some Jerry Reed stuff, but that's coming along a bit slower since I can't do that country-style fingerpicking quite like he does it. Yet.