Parahoy!

Caitlyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=paYSOxPBrJo

Paramore just announced that they will be doing a 4 day cruise this Spring on the Norwegian Pearl, called Parahoy! The cruise takes place from March 7-11, kicking off in Miami and stopping on a private island in the Bahamas. For more details on the cruise and to sign up for pre-sale, click here.

You may have also gotten an email about it from Fueled By Ramen.

^I'm going to start saving up for this. I'll be flying in from California so ugh the round trip ticket from california to miami is going to cost me just as much as the cruise itself. But totally worth it. I cannot miss this. It just sounds so fun. Granted I've never been on a ship before so not sure how i'll do with sea sickness but I will do it for Paramore. If you still need a roommate, I'd be happy to be yours. As none of my friends love paramore enough to travel all that way for this. 

I'm absoultely trying to go to this. I'm saving up ASAP. This is one of the coolest things a band could do I think. A bunch of my Paramore friends are going so it should be fun. The only problem is getting to Miami might be the make it or break it price for me.

I hear that the more people are assigned to a room the cheaper the cost is. Im looking for at least three other roommates that way my cost will go down and that money can go toward my flight there. Although they just relaxed the age policy so my sis might be able to go. Not sure if she will be able to afford it though.i just have to see how those payment plans are. I really need to go to this. I wonder what other bands will be going

I hear that the more people are assigned to a room the cheaper the cost is. Im looking for at least three other roommates that way my cost will go down and that money can go toward my flight there. Although they just relaxed the age policy so my sis might be able to go. Not sure if she will be able to afford it though.i just have to see how those payment plans are. I really need to go to this. I wonder what other bands will be going

Cruises operate on a double occupancy concept. What this means is that the first two people pay for the full cost of a room. Then any additional people pay half.

For example, if you want a family balcony stateroom, it's roughly $1400. So if two people book it, they each only pat $700.

With me so far?

But if you want 4 people in the room (which by the way, is no fun. It's more cramped than you can imagine, but you don't spend much time in your room other than sleeping, so it's tolerable), the first two people pay $700 each, and then any additional people pay half of what one person pays.

So it looks like this:

Person 1: $700

Person 2: $700

Person 3: $350

Person 4: $350

and so on...

So it's cheaper to have multiple people in one room, but I wouldn't recommend more than 3-4 per room. Unless you want to get to know your friends in a much closer way than you ever imagined haha. NCL has extremely tiny rooms. The smallest I've seen. And I've never done more than 4 people in a family stateroom, and that was no fun. 

So just keep that in mind :)

EDIT: Oh, and forgot to say, I'll be going. Any other PFers joining me?

Yeah I hear a lot of warnings about having 4 people to a room but if it can save me money Ill do it. Lol Depending on how much i can save up for this I may just go with just one other roommate. I just need it to be september already so the website can be up and i can figure it all out. I HAVE to go.

You could do a balcony stateroom with 4 people, or do a much smaller studio room for 2 people that will cost less anyway. The cost would probably be about the same. It all depends on preference. 

I just about live in a closet anyways, so it cannot get any worse. What airline is everyone using? The one I'm a member of doesn't fly to Miami. 

I'm applying to jobs like there is no tomorrow. I just found out that my school will be closing a handful of dorms next fall, so I really need to find an apartment as well. :P

I was thinking realistically I don't know if I can go I have sorority dues and expenses for cheerleading. I have to sit down and figured out  if this is realistic or not. I'd probably go with a 4 person room if it's uncomfortable that's okay I'd probably barely be in the room anyway it's not a big deal to me.

I just want to know if food and drinks are included in the price.

I just about live in a closet anyways, so it cannot get any worse. What airline is everyone using? The one I'm a member of doesn't fly to Miami. 

I'm applying to jobs like there is no tomorrow. I just found out that my school will be closing a handful of dorms next fall, so I really need to find an apartment as well. :P

No idea what airline I'm taking yet. I'm waiting until after I officially purchase for the cruise to look into that.

I was thinking realistically I don't know if I can go I have sorority dues and expenses for cheerleading. I have to sit down and figured out  if this is realistic or not. I'd probably go with a 4 person room if it's uncomfortable that's okay I'd probably barely be in the room anyway it's not a big deal to me.

I just want to know if food and drinks are included in the price.

I can answer that for you, Catie. Food and drinks ARE included, but not everything is free. For example, soda and alcohol cost money (which is billed to a credit card through your room key). This is how cruises make a bulk of their money. All meals are also included for free, except if you want to dine at a specialty restaurant.

There's usually 2 main dining restaurants on the ship for dinner (think semi-formal, classy). There's also a buffet that does breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I think a midnight snack. Then there's also a 24 hour diner-like comfort food restaurant. Those are all free. Oh, and free popcorn and ice cream in various places around the ship. The specialty restaurants, like hibachi (teppanyaki as well as other asian cuisines), steakhouse, french, brazilian, and other exotic, ethnic restaurants are all separate and are paid for individually (through your room key, as always).

Hope that answers your question! It's a really good deal, if you're wondering. Which is why everyone jokes about gaining 10 pounds after going on a cruise. The amount of free unlimited food is great. All amazing quality as well. Fantastic chefs. NCL has my approval for food. The specialty restaurants as well. Worth the money and not overpriced. But if you just want free food, it's all amazing quality. No skimping on good service and food in any restaurant, free or paid.

• Like 1

^^ hah, I wonder if they'll make that much on alcohol on this cruise, though. :)  Not as much as their other ones like Kid Rock and Skynyrd!

I put together a small post about the rock cruises, based on conversations I've had with friends who have done them:  http://parentsguidetoconcerts.tumblr.com/post/59208881789/parahoy-should-you-do-a-rock-cruise

(@Dustin feel free to send corrections if you have gone on one of the music cruises!)

Sweet! Thanks Martin for all of the links and info. :)

I was reading through all of the comments on LJ and I guess I would have to get a passport as well. I wanted to get one over the summer but I kind of forgot about it. What's everyone's experience with that?

^^ hah, I wonder if they'll make that much on alcohol on this cruise, though. :)  Not as much as their other ones like Kid Rock and Skynyrd!

I put together a small post about the rock cruises, based on conversations I've had with friends who have done them:  http://parentsguidetoconcerts.tumblr.com/post/59208881789/parahoy-should-you-do-a-rock-cruise

(@Dustin feel free to send corrections if you have gone on one of the music cruises!)

The majority of profit made by cruise lines is on booze. I'd be extremely surprised if there isn't any alcohol on the ship. The Pearl has so many bars, anyway, gotta put them to use.

Unless they decide to just automatically charge a much higher rate for the rooms or something instead? But I can't imagine cruising without alcohol. 

I'm an avid cruiser, but never did a band cruise before. So all my advice and expertise is only based on traditional cruising. Any tips for band cruises would be greatly appreciated around here to cover anything I'm not familiar with!

• Like 1

The majority of profit made by cruise lines is on booze. I'd be extremely surprised if there isn't any alcohol on the ship. The Pearl has so many bars, anyway, gotta put them to use.

Unless they decide to just automatically charge a much higher rate for the rooms or something instead? But I can't imagine cruising without alcohol. 

I'm an avid cruiser, but never did a band cruise before. So all my advice and expertise is only based on traditional cruising. Any tips for band cruises would be greatly appreciated around here to cover anything I'm not familiar with!

Yeah, I'm sure all the bars will be open! I was just meaning that, compared to a lot of other bands' fans, Paramore and T&S fans aren't known as super-heavy drinkers.  I go to a lot of different shows on land, and I can tell you the KISS or Lynryd Skynyrd fans (and especially country fans) drink a lot more than the typical Paramore crowd (even those >21).  So I would expect the cruises to be the same.

Coincidentally, I was at a ZZ Top / Kid Rock show a couple of weeks ago, and one of the people I was sitting with had been on the Kid Rock cruise two years ago.  He was telling me that Uncle Kracker (one of the performers on board) was so hung over that he had to sit on the floor to do his show. And it sounded likea lot of people on that cruise were heavy partiers (to the point where he said he was exhausted at the end).  I just don't see that happening as much on this cruise, especially because these aren't bands that encourage debauchery AND a some parents will be on the cruise with their families.  Also, at the risk of generalizing, I'll say that Paramore fans are much more into more and different music, so I am expecting they really will be more into the concerts and interactions with the bands, vs getting blotto and treating the music as a backdrop.  So I think/hope that will keep things a bit more subdued.

Caveat: My cruise experience includes several voyages with the Disney Cruise, and I can tell you it's possible to overimbide even on that squeaky clean tour, 'cause our daughter did and had a terrible hangover one day. Not recommended though.  Also, if you get sick please don't throw up on my shoes.   :)

Sweet! Thanks Martin for all of the links and info.  :)

I was reading through all of the comments on LJ and I guess I would have to get a passport as well. I wanted to get one over the summer but I kind of forgot about it. What's everyone's experience with that?

I think the Sixthman site says a passport is not required, but they recommend having one just in case.  So, you probably don't have to have one.  But, you should have time to get it and it's a cool thing to have.

BTW, I notice the Sixthman folks have a mod who answers a lot of questions on the cruise Facebook page. This would be a good question to confirm there.

• Like 1

Ah, Disney is one of the cruise lines I haven't been on yet. I'd love to go on Disney, though. Not just a huge Disney fan, but also a fan of the amazing horn sounds on their ships haha.

As for passports, last time I went on NCL on a similar route and went to this specific island, I needed a passport as a caution because we will be going through international waters. But there are no other planned stops, so I suppose we wouldn't need it, but in case of emergency and having to dock at an island owned by another country, passports would be needed.

Even cruising in Hawaii, I needed my passport, and that only goes between islands within Hawaii, which is (of course) part of the United States. So it varies, but always handy to have. But then again, it might be a requirement, but every cruise is different for whether you need it or not.

One of the Sixthman people posted on the Facebook group that if you don't have a passport, you need a verified birth certificate. It sounds like getting a passport might be almost as easy.

The Disney cruise is amazing.  We kind of huge Disney fans in our family, but even if you're not the level of service, adult dining, etc is excellent.

P.S. I updated my Tumblr post on the ParAhoy! cruise with a bit more on cost examples...

http://parentsguidetoconcerts.tumblr.com/post/59208881789/parahoy-should-you-do-a-rock-cruise

One of the Sixthman people posted on the Facebook group that if you don't have a passport, you need a verified birth certificate. It sounds like getting a passport might be almost as easy.

The Disney cruise is amazing.  We kind of huge Disney fans in our family, but even if you're not the level of service, adult dining, etc is excellent.

P.S. I updated my Tumblr post on the ParAhoy! cruise with a bit more on cost examples...

http://parentsguidetoconcerts.tumblr.com/post/59208881789/parahoy-should-you-do-a-rock-cruise

Glad to hear that. I'm a massive Disney fan as well. Can't get enough of the parks. Always wanted to go on their cruise line, but was worried if it catered too much towards children and not enough to adults. 

as someone who travels a lot and has been through the bahamas i'd highly highly recommend getting a passport

even if you don't need one specifically to board the cruise or whatever it does go through international waters, if anything happens and you're stuck in a foreign country without a valid passport that could be big trouble and not worth the hassle imo

also a birth certificate isn't photo ID, photo ID would be handy in a lot of situations and personally i'd rather carry a passport that's good for everything rather than having to carry multiple types of ID

plus then you have a passport if you ever want to travel again ;)

as a canadian i don't have experience with US passports specifically but i assume the process of getting one isn't all that different

applications are pretty straight forward and i had mine renewed and ready to go in like three days just a month ago

having a passport in general is a huge advantage

• Like 1

Glad to hear that. I'm a massive Disney fan as well. Can't get enough of the parks. Always wanted to go on their cruise line, but was worried if it catered too much towards children and not enough to adults. 

I'm an admirer of the Disney customer service ethic and overall attention to detail.  The Disney Cruise Line is pretty much like staying at one of their resort hotels in the parks, but afloat.  There's a restaurant that caters to 18+ called Palo, which is really kind of a 5 star restaurant but the fee is only something like $10 for dinner (well, plus drinks). Really top notch service and food and wine list.  The waiters got to know us there and would actually have custom-made appetizers like gourmet truffle and wild mushroom pizzas waiting for us when we came in.

We went with Disney to the Western Mediteranean and they themed everything according to the port. So, when we were off Rome, they had Goofy and Donald outfitted in traditional Italian costumes, and they invited an opera singer on board to sing some arias.  When were were in Tunis, Mickey was in local garb. Same with France.  A lot of the really young kids are in daytime activities in a kind of kids' club, so it isn't as inundated the 5-10 year olds as you might expect. (Just stay away from the kids' pool! -- but they have 3 different pools including and 18+ pool.)

The day we were at Corsica (Napolean's birthplace), it was Napolean's birthday and the governor invited the ship to stay late so we could watch the celebratory Napoleon birthday fireworks from deck.

So, a lot of magical moments. It's expensive but worth looking into.

as someone who travels a lot and has been through the bahamas i'd highly highly recommend getting a passport

even if you don't need one specifically to board the cruise or whatever it does go through international waters, if anything happens and you're stuck in a foreign country without a valid passport that could be big trouble and not worth the hassle imo

also a birth certificate isn't photo ID, photo ID would be handy in a lot of situations and personally i'd rather carry a passport that's good for everything rather than having to carry multiple types of ID

plus then you have a passport if you ever want to travel again ;)

as a canadian i don't have experience with US passports specifically but i assume the process of getting one isn't all that different

applications are pretty straight forward and i had mine renewed and ready to go in like three days just a month ago

having a passport in general is a huge advantage

I definitely agree with this.  Plus, when you travel and check into a country, they usually stamp your passport with exotic emblems from different countries in many different languages, which make a great souvenir. Mine have stamps in Arabic (Dubai), Hinidi (India), Trad Chinese (Hong Kong), Indonesian, German, French, Spanish (Spain, Mexico, Costa Rica, Colombia), and English (UK, Kenya, Tanzania, Canada, Australia, Singapore, etc). It's realy fun to look back at these.