Dan4872

Dan, he may have written those songs, but PARAMORE must have helped as well, otherwise they wouldn't have put Hayley's and Taylor's names on Pandora as the writers of the song. It would just be false information. Hayley and Josh used to write all of the songs. Now it is Hayley and Taylor. Maybe they needed help. After all, this is the first album since the departure of Josh and Zac. This is just my opinion. Welcome to the boards. We are friendly people. Have fun.

I know Gregg Alexander's work well (I loved that New Radicals album and loved hearing about any time he cowrote with other people) and have never heard his and Paramore's names in the same sentence before this moment. You say you have proof through research, so could you please provide that? Paramore is not the kind of band to leave out co-writing credits, and he's not listed as having written for them on ASCAP or BMI either. If he really was involved and went through that much trouble to keep his name out of it, why bring it up now? I also don't think there's any mystery surrounding those songs.

If he did have some involvement that no one is aware of, cool. He's a great songwriter. I just think a statement like "Gregg Alexander is responsible for Paramore's new songs," warrants a little more information than you're providing, is all.

You really can’t trust Wikipedia with much of anything. It’s a public site that anyone can edit. Who’s to say someone didn’t write that to get Gregg some free publicity (not realizing that he really doesn’t like it)? It wouldn't be the first time something like that had been done.

I think you’re reading a little too much into things, if I’m honest. The lyrics are 100% Hayley’s writing style (Still Into You is about her boyfriend Chad and Ain’t It Fun was written by Hayley and Taylor at an airport, I believe) and this album actually displays each member’s individual influences for once. They went through a HUGE change when they lost their principal songwriter and Taylor had to step up to the plate. They also used a producer (Justin Meldal-Johnson) who had worked on albums very different from anything they'd ever done. However, anyone who has been a fan for years will tell you that they really weren't surprised by what's on this album. If anything, it was more like, "Finally!!"

I don’t think Paramore needs a ghost writer, and I don’t think they would ever be embarrassed to admit that they needed some help writing after losing two key members. JMJ helped write several songs and he is not only credited on the album but talked-up pretty much any time they’re asked about their music because they respect him so much.

As far as that last tweet from Hayley - it's obvious that she doesn't know who Gregg is and anyone I know who's closer with the band than I am doesn't either. That sucks cause he is a great songwriter, but to me, it also means he had nothing to do with this album (and hey - if he secretly did and didn't want to be mentioned, let's respect his wishes). I do have an email out to their manager for further confirmation though.

You seem really into his work though, which is awesome, and I would love for you to post about him more in the Other Music forum. He's written some incredible songs, and more people should know about him. :)

You're definitely right that you can't trust Wikipedia. It's also great to hear you're a Gregg fan too.

The only Paramore song I knew prior to all this investigating was misery business, and I probably would've forgotten the name of it. I'm 19, so it was pretty popular in my day. But that shows how ignorant I am regarding Paramore's history. I don't know how a song like 'still into you' fares with their other work, so it's good that you enlightened me on how it fits in. There is the chance Gregg had absolutely nothing to do with the album or song, and if he didn't, well hey, I found some new songs to listen to, because the album seems to have some nice work. 

I'm glad to hear you e-mailed their manager, but if Gregg was a ghostwriter for them, he probably wouldn't be able to spread the word to us.

I think when someone is very familiar with someone's work, and you make connections to other artists/bands/etc., it can be easy to think that there had to be some sort of influence or help writing. I think about that all the time when I hear artists on the radio that have lyrics that sound so similar in style to writers I know of. But I think our familiarity with them can sometimes mislead us to believe it is them.

I was unsure of whether this may be true or not with songs on the new album, but seeing Hayley's tweet kinda cements it for me. I don't think they used Gregg as a ghost writer. It just seems very un-Hayley to lie about that sort of thing. Paramore has always given credit where it is due, especially with fellow artists/musicians (and close friends in particular!).

And a song writing credit in the album notes would be so easy for them, it would be more effort than it's worth to cover it up like some kind of secret. So for now I don't think Gregg had anything to do with the song. But of course, I'm just speculating. So don't quote me, haha. I don't know for sure, but that's the feeling I get in my gut. 

And I highly recommend checking out Paramore's music catalog. I think you'll find some gems you really like! :)

We aren't really the kind of people to bash, but the kind of people who anti-bash. If anyone says anything remotely bashful, I say something. Everyone and anyone is welcome here. I was glad that there was no age restriction when I joined.

With the whole "Ghost Writer" ordeal, I agree with Dustin. Hayley would have to have a lot of guts to lie to millions of people on twitter. From a lot of time of watching things on PARAMORE on YouTube, I can tell that she is a sweet girl. She is amazing. It's always funny to see videos where she makes mistakes live. It shows that she is a normal and ordinary human being like all of us. I need to stop talking now before this gets off topic. :) :) :) :) Again, welcome to PF.com. Oh, and I didn't even know who Gregg was until this thread was started. Why wouldn't he want to be known about?

...wouldn't the whole point of him being a ghost writer mean keeping it anonymous though?

not saying that really means anything because i have no idea whether any allegations are true or not and i'm in no position to come up with any sort of conclusion, but some of the thinking i've seen so far saying they'd admit it if he was involved doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me if he was supposedly a 'ghost writer'

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

^^ It's just that he does a lot of writing and co-writing, sometimes under different aliases, but always credited (his credit list on BMI's website is pages long). So why all of a sudden would he be writing under a veil of secrecy? It's not like Paramore would have asked him to because they've always been great with listing co-writers. lol

Also, any mention of him ghost-writing for anybody has been removed from his Wikipedia page. Either it wasn't true or he really did want to remain anonymous. I guess we'll never know. :P

Do you really think that Hayley would lie about something that big? I'm sure that she was really embarrassed to be asked that. She said she doesn't even know who Gregg is. She is a good person. She doesn't drink, do drugs, or anything else. Her mom even said that she was very proud of that. If Hayley doesn't do that, then why would she lie about this? I don't know, but it doesn't sound like PARAMORE.

Do you really think that Hayley would lie about something that big? I'm sure that she was really embarrassed to be asked that. She said she doesn't even know who Gregg is. She is a good person. She doesn't drink, do drugs, or anything else. Her mom even said that she was very proud of that. If Hayley doesn't do that, then why would she lie about this? I don't know, but it doesn't sound like PARAMORE.

being a good person or 'lying' isn't the point though

being a ghost writer literally means no one knows you did it, he wouldn't be a ghost writer anymore if they came out and said he wrote with them

it's just speculation