Doctor Who

Guest JadeIsRad

I was so bummed out reading tweets from Karen, Arthur, and the Doctor Who production team today. It's weird cause I know they're done with Doctor Who now, but we won't see their last episodes until this Fall, so they're gone but they're not. I'm gonna cry like a baby!! :P

I hope Jenna's character will challenge the Doctor too. Maybe she'll even be an alien (or a regeneration of his daughter, Susan, from the first ever season of Doctor Who, perhaps?). I've thought about it several times... what if her character doesn't even look human and we just assume she will because of how we see her now? Although, even past non-human companions that the Doctor traveled with always looked like humans, haha.

I know. I'm sad now, and I'm going to be sad later!

So, I was watching "The Hungry Earth" yesterday, and they were in Wales the year of 2020.

The beginning of the episode, future Rory and Amy are seen waving down at the present Rory and Amy.

But knowing what we know now, how will this fit in with their apparent deaths?

Did they make a wrong turn in time, or are they dying later than 2020 after making a pit stop in Wales?

I hope they fit that in this season.

I was also thinking of the alien possibility. It would be cool to have her from another planet.

The daughter possibility would be cool as well...

Well, technically, they could travel to 2020 at any time, wave to themselves and then go back to 2012 and die. That's the tricky thing about time travel. :P I do hope they resolve that though. That's the one thing I especially love about Doctor Who. They always go back and reference the past.

Also, if they're making their last stand against the weeping angels--who I'm guessing will send them back in time to "live to death"--why couldn't the Doctor go find them in the past and rescue them? I've always wondered that.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point.

Maybe the Doctor will be in one of those "time can't be rewritten" moods when it happens.

Or they leave no clues for him to find them. The writers will have some excuse for him!

Did you see Matt on Top Gear last night?

I would have loved to see David, Chris, and Billy drive; I'll have to hunt down those episodes later.

Doctor Who, Torchwood, and the Sarah Jane Adventures all have been nominated for several TV Choice Awards:

Doctor Who and the Sarah Jane Adventures - Best Family Drama

Torchwood: Miracle Day - Best Drama

Matt Smith - Best Actor

Karen Gillan - Best Actress

Vote here. Polls close June 15th.

You're probably right. He'll pull one of his old "That's the curse of the Time Lords, [new companion whose name we don't know yet]... I can't go back and get them!!" moods. :P

Haha, I have seen Matt on Top Gear. All of the cast members who've been on have been hilarious (and I looked them all up, just in case you haven't had a chance to look for them yet):

Billie

- "Listen, Billie's very charming. I've been on the receiving end of her eyelid fluttering. It butters many parsnips." :rotfl:

I'll have to vote for all those awards. I really wish Doctor Who could be up for some awards in the US. It's definitely worthy of some.

Also, just thought I'd say it cause I'm thinking it, Tumblr fangirls are really annoying. Whenever I try to do Doctor Who searches there, all I get are whiney posts and snarky, uninformed comments about various aspects of the show. I like it here much better. :)

They have an explanation for everything.

Thank you for the links! I placed a hold on a Doctor Who Confidential DVD that my local library has, but I have not been able to pick it up yet. :P

Doctor Who is getting slightly more popular here in the States. I live in the middle of nowhere, but a couple of stores recently stocked up on Doctor Who items. Maybe someday we will be able to vote for the show in American award shows.

Yes, them Tumblr hipsters. I don't blame you! I see a lot of people on there complaining about companions and casting decisions.

The writers do a fantastic job with the show and there really isn't anything to complain about!

So, Matt carried the torch for the Olympics through Cardiff this weekend!

tumblr_m4mm9uttCq1qfcw6fo1_r1_1280.jpg

Sweet! Let me know how that Doctor Who Confidential DVD is. My library, unfortunately, has nothing Doctor Who related. I wish they did though.

I've looked up some info on various American awards, and one reason DW can't be nominated is because it's produced in the UK and has no American links except for a couple shoots here. :(

Yup, that's the same sort of thing I see on Tumblr! Of course everyone has their opinions and favorites, but the people on Tumblr are just a little over the top. The best part about Doctor Who is the change. If you can't appreciate that, then why watch the show? Also, there's just too much weird fanfic and hormonal girls for my liking, lol. I prefer news and discussions, haha.

I was awake when Matt was going to run with the torch, and I was so excited!... and then they didn't show him running, lol. I guess the street was too narrow for the camera car to drive down, so the BBC crew had to record it and upload it later. Part of me is still hoping that they'll let David Tennant light the Olympic flame as the Doctor. :P

I will let you know! The library hasn't given it to me yet. I did get to check out Remembrance of the Daleks.That was the first time I've watched anything older than Chris Eccleston. The show has definitely developed a lot since then!

This is when they need to develop a new category to include international/foreign TV shows.

That sucks. There was a website that streamed live footage of the torch's progress, but I don't know if they got anything either. I was hoping they would do that as well! The whole fandom probably was. I don't know how many Ten GIFs I saw on Tumblr that day. :lol:

Yay! Maybe she will come from the past.

Here are a few more photos that have come out this week:

doctor-who-series-7-matt-smith-jenna-ep11.jpg

Click the photo to see more.

I've watched a few classic Who episodes here and there, and you're right. The show's come a LONG way since 1963! I appreciate them, but I'm not a huge fan of how slow they are (or just older TV in general). The only one I really loved was The Time Warrior, Sarah Jane's first series. I planned on watching it over a week, but ended up watching the whole thing in a night, haha. I definitely recommend it.

That'd be really cool if she came from the past. Call me a nerd, but I often think about what it would be like if someone from the past saw what technology is like now and how they would react, so I think that would be a great story to tell on Doctor Who.

Looking at the photos, is Jenna just there observing? Cause otherwise why would the Doctor be in Victorian dress to match the time period and she wouldn't be? :P

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry that I haven't posted in awhile!

I have to agree. It's not that the older series are bad, they are just slow in comparison to the latest series. I feel like the writers and actors were still trying to figure out who the Doctor is and what the show is really about. I will check out The Time Warrior sometime. Sarah Jane is really interesting to me.

I wasn't thinking so much as the Victorian time period for the new companion. I didn't think to space my comment with the pictures. :???: But you have a good question. Perhaps he felt a bit festive and prepared this time around and she wasn't aware of their destination?

I would love to see a reaction like that as well! I don't think it's nerdy at all. Even the reverse happening, where a companion from the future came to the past would be interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Jenna's character will be from the past, though. :sad: Moffat let some information out about Jenna's character, like how she is a human from contemporary Earth. But her importance and influence on the Doctor is still an interesting topic of debate.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen the latest photos from the episode they're currently shooting? Episode 9, I think. Oh my god, Jenna's HAIR! lol

I like that they're dressing the characters to match the times they're traveling to again. They haven't done that pretty much since Rose and Nine.

Also, David and Billie will be guests at a Doctor Who convention in December. They will be taking photos with fans (together AND solo) and doing autographs... and of course it's in Birmingham, UK. Just my luck. :P

Oh my gosh, that poor girl! She was probably in hair and makeup for three hours just for them curls.

But I'm pretty excited about the returning characters in that episode. Something crazy is going to happen.

I love that, too. I'm one of those people who find it logical for the characters to blend in.

It's too weird for a 21st century character to be walking around in jeans in the 1800s and etc. and no one notices them!

Ugh, I hate when that happens. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong country. :lol:

It would be so cool to meet them and just hang out with other Doctor Who fans for a day.

She probably fell asleep in hair and makeup, lol. I'm pretty excited for that episode. Besides the returning characters, what's been heard of the plot sounds pretty awesome. Also, I keep hearing about how depressing Amy and Rory's last episode is going to be, and I'm not ready for it. :(

Hahaha, my favorite case of a companion not dressing for the time period was Rose in "Tooth and Claw" because they obviously noticed (granted, she thought they were going to 1979, not 1879). "I've been chasing this wee naked child over hill and over dale!" Later on, Martha went to visit Shakespeare in jeans and a leather jacket and not a single person thought that was weird... wtf?

Still praying that at least one of them gets asked to New York Comic Con. I'd love to meet Matt and Karen, who are at Comic Con International this weekend, and David Tennant, but Billie Piper's the one I really, really want to meet. I messaged the Doctor Who Tumblr about NYCC, and they said that they are thinking about a fan meet-up there as well, since BBC America is based in New York. I already plan on going to NYCC, so if they do a Doctor Who meet-up, I'm there!

It sounds like it's going to be a great season! I'm getting really anxious.

I'm so not ready for their last episode. I will be a wreck for weeks.

That was a great episode. "Bet you five quid I can get her to say it." XD

I hope you get to meet someone at the NYCC. That would be awesome!

I saw the Tumblr post for the last meet-up. I wish I could do something like that as well.

Karen and "the babes" did a photoshoot for Entertainment Weekly:

normal_Comicconshootpic001.jpg

An un-watermarked version is floating around on Tumblr. It is now my wallpaper. :)

Same here! I think about it and it bums me out a little, but when this season starts, I'm going to get so worried and anxious for the Ponds' last episode.

Karen and the Babes should be a real band... a real Peruvian folk band. :P

I hope they do a Doctor Who Tumblr meet-up at NYCC. The one they just had seemed awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody needs to get on that and make it happen! I would buy their albums. :)

I'm already impatient for Series 7 to start, but it appears we will be waiting even longer for Series 8.

There is supposed to be multiple anniversary specials, but the regular episodes do not air until 2014.

Matt stated in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine that the Moffat hasn't begun writing yet.

He asked Matt, "Are you ready to cry?" :???:

Source.

Writing for Series 7 is still in progress. Here is an update on how everything's going so far.

Karen and Arthur have also been teasing about whether their characters will ever return.

Ugh. These people know how to break my heart.

Oh man, so we're going to have a repeat of David Tennant's last year, where there wasn't an actual series, just a bunch of specials? That's gonna be tough, but I'm sure the specials are going to be really, really cool. At least we'll get the second half of series 7 in 2013 too. And no, Moff, I am NOT ready to cry (again), lol.

Haha, knowing Moffat, even if he kills off the Ponds, he'll still find a way to bring them back if he feels like it.

Also, I will be going to the store when I get paid on Friday to get this...

tumblr_m7q5p2kuTV1qd4rf5o1_500.jpg

SO STOKED!!

So apparently, there was a 30-minute segment that was cut from the Olympic opening ceremony tonight that featured Doctor Who and some other things. The TARDIS landing noise made an appearance though, and so did some very wonderful Whovians wearing their 3D glasses. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=993puhW1Vs8

I had just come here to post that! :willy_nilly:

Thank you for the HQ version of it, though.

It is now my screensaver, which I cannot stop looking at (which is bad, because I cry every time I peek at it).

I have yet to buy the EW magazine, as I have not been to the store yet.

And I actually heard the TARDIS during the Opening Ceremony!

I spazzed out and had a fangirl moment, but my family didn't hear it so they made fun of me the rest of the night.

But then I read on the internet that it really was the TARDIS, so I rubbed it in their faces.

It's too bad they cut out so much stuff, though.

And here is the Series 7 Fall Season Launch Trailer!

And here are my reactions to said Trailer!

MOFFAT = EVIL. He has seriously stomped on my heart with what is going to happen. I am crying...

And I think he's bringing the Master back. Because the Doctor talks about honoring the victims, including "the Master's."

The new photo and trailer are completely EPIC, and I can't wait for series 7. You're welcome for the HQ version. It's my laptop wallpaper now. :D

Well the photo and scene in the trailer are from Asylum of the Daleks, so we know it's probably not Amy's death, since she's in more episodes in the series. I do like the added "Who do you think?" at the end cause it looks like that was added just for the trailer and isn't in the actual episode. I just keep thinking how amazing it would be if somehow through space and time, all the Daleks die in that episode at the same moment that Rose has become the Bad Wolf and kills all the Daleks in Series 1. "Who killed all the Daleks?" "... Rose Tyler."

I think Rory would have reacted differently if Amy was dead then.

But the whole cherub Weeping Angel thing totally freaks me out because that's the start of real trouble for Rory.

It is interesting that that line was only included in the trailer.

Maybe it is a hint to us that the Bad Wolf indeed reached through time and space.

I'm really excited that we get to meet Rory's dad (Mark Williams).

It should provide some comic relief along with the random dinosaurs.

There are new pictures and videos from the set of "The Crimson Horror."

This episode should prove to be a good mystery.

Jack Lothian has been added to the list of writers working on the second half of Series 7.

Also, it has been announced that Richard E. Grant will be playing a villain for the Christmas special.

So I guess there's a pre-screening of Asylum of the Daleks tonight in the UK somewhere. The bloggers I follow have promised a spoiler-free review and I'm looking forward to it.

Any thoughts on when we'll finally get Series 7? For a while, rumors were saying the end of August, but I think it's too late to start advertising for a date that's so close. I want to see it now, but I'd be okay with waiting a little longer, just so we don't have to wait long between episode 5 and the Christmas special.

The cherub weeping angel is SUPER creepy! The scariest part is that they're implying that not all weeping angels look like the ones we're familiar with. Totally waiting for the Statue of Liberty to be one too. :P

Haha, I seriously cannot wait for the dinosaur episode. Doctor Who and dinosaurs... two of my favorite things ever!

BBC AMERICA is proud to present the U.S. premiere screening of the new season of DOCTOR WHO Saturday' date=' August 25, 2012 at 6:00pm in New York City[/b']. The screening will be immediately followed by a live Q&A with stars Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and executive producer Caroline Skinner.

Don’t miss your chance to be among the first to see “ASYLUM OF THE DALEKS,†the season premiere of the all-new series, before the premiere on BBC AMERICA’S Supernatural Saturday, coming this Fall.

Tickets cost 11¢ (with a $1 surcharge) in honor of the Eleventh Doctor.

We will announce the venue and ticket information tomorrow afternoon. Tickets go on sale TOMORROW Thursday, August 16 and will be made availableexclusively through a link shared by the @BBCAmerica Twitter handle. Tickets will sell out fast so follow @BBCAmerica to be informed of the link as soon as it goes live!

11¢. This is why I love BBC America. Too bad I can't go, though. :(

I haven't heard anything new, but I think we're getting close to the air date.

They posted the official titles of the first five episodes:

1 – Asylum of the Daleks (by Steve Moffat)

2 – Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (by Chris Chibnall)

3 – A Town Called Mercy (by Toby Whithouse)

4 – The Power of Three (by Chris Chibnall)

5 – The Angels Take Manhattan (by Steven Moffat)

And we have a new picture:

tumblr_m8t3ag2IGp1qhap1n.jpg

Click for a REALLY HUGE version.

Plus, poster art for Episode 1:

tumblr_m8r9bmjxfG1qijoeyo1_500.jpg

Also click for a larger version.

Apparently, the names River, Rory, Amelia, and Matt have increased in popularity in Wales since Series 5.

I was thinking, "Hey, if I ever have a daughter I want to name her River." Well I guess everyone else does, too.