The Official Post Your Gear Thread

The Drummer

Yeah mg series, but i needed a cheap, loud amp for gigging so it was the best i could get, but tyhrough my new blackstar pedal it sounds like a valve amp! Nah the ibanez is just poor all round, dunno what model it is, i bought it cause it looked cool, never making that mistake again! Your spot on with the pedal board, its different now though. With the blackstar pedal, another digital delay ( i need two haha) a chorus and a phaser! I never mention the acoustic either, its an ibanez acoustic and its quality. The playability is great, sometimes its like playing an electric!

^Yeah, you definitely picked an Indonesian made Ibanez by the sounds of it.

They are so hit and miss, it's ridiculous. Some of them are good, but some of the Indo made guitars I've played have had garbage fretwork, don't resonant well etc etc, all sorts of problems.

Pretty much nothing Ibanez has made since about 2001/2002 has been really good and hasn't really interested me, they've gone way downhill.

So yeah, everyone must know what a guitar nerd I am now, having guessed the contents of your pedalboard correctly lol.

The Ibanez acoustic looks cool, I dig that finish.

• 3 weeks later...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOk what arrived today for the 7 string!:hyper:

Well okay, for those of you who don't actually know, they are new guitar pickups.

As you can see they are called Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They're active pickups with balanced inputs unlike EMGs which use unbalanced outputs.

What that means in technical terms, I don't honestly know, but I do know that it translate to less hum.

I haven't put them in the guitar yet, I have to wait at least a week, but these badboys are QUIET according to pretty much everyone I've spoke to how has them. They are extremely effective with dealing with high gain hum, no passive pickup can match how quiet these are. Pekka, these pickups are for you (albeit in 6 string form for the time being:mrgreen:) As In I wont give them too you but they would suit your high gain stylings when required.

Quite high output too, more than most passive pickups you can buy.

SeymourDuncanBlackouts7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My dad got a new guitar recently, his first new guitar in over 20 years.

SANY0011.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

SANY0010.jpg

I'm not sure of the exact model.

It is however a Maton guitar, made in Australia.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's an EBG808Cl.

This thing sounds amazing and plays so well.

The only bad part about it is that it's my dad's and not mine:p

Mmm, I would sure like to have a semi-acoustic guitar as well... I tried those out when I was looking for a steel stringed acoustic, but all of them lacked the final "oomph" in the sound department so I settled for a normal acoustic guitar. Semi acoustic does open up some new possibilities though, like Rodrigo Y Gabriela demonstrated on TV a few nights ago.

Still, your father can say goodbye to Tarrega and Villa-Lobos with that one :lol: So, does he still play classical guitar at all?

It's an acoustic-electric.

Semi acoustic guitars are electric guitars (like Gretsch White Falcons, and although it has that center block thing, a Gibson ES 335 is one to)

My dad is keeping the Yamaha classical. Seeing my dad play acoustic has inspired me to play acoustic more lately........which is great except my parents are moving tomorrow so I wont be able to play either the classical or the acoustic electric until they come down to visit me for my birthday in about a month.

I showed my dad Tears In the Rain (Satch of course) and told him by the time he comes back he has to have mastered it.

Admittedly, since electric guitar is my first instrument, then bass guitar is my second, I actually have trouble with that song at certain sections lol.

He's been playing a whole bunch of traditional folkish pieces (In fact I don't really know if it's folk at all:shifty:) and all sorts of finger style stuff.

You might recognize this

Although I think my father plays the Bert Jansch rendition of it, since the song is a jazz standard anyway and gets interpreted a number of different ways.

I guess I'll find out in about a month if my dad starts playing more classical stuff too.

Looks spiffy! Dunno, I have always had a bit of a negative predisposition towards black guitars for some reason, but hey, it's Ibanez! How does it play?

Dunno why i love black guitars :)

it plays really well :) guess since i am a beginner it works good for me :)

and yeah IBANEZ damn:mrgreen:

I still havent came across any bigger problem during all this time i have it. I my fingertips hurt and i have little calluses on them but it is no big deal :)

i have size 12 strings... i know i could go and buy size 11 or even 10 so it would probablly hurt less. but i wont do that :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

^Nice guitars man.

What are the specs of each guitar?

And man, when you get a DSL, you will shit yourself, they are so much better than an AVT it's not funny.

I've never liked the AVT personally. Well, the clean tone is good, and reasonable crunch tone, but as a metal guitarist I could never jive with the OD-2 channel at all. It seems to just sound thin no matter what you do.

Dial in more bass, it just becomes muddy without actually thickening up, dial in more mids, and you get this weird honk.

DSLs, on the other hand, are fucking tonal heaven, although I do prefer the Marshall JVM, I think it's the best amp Marshall have made since the 6100 30th Anniversary head.

I did post more pictures on page 2, but realized I actually didn't post all that much about the guitar itself, other than how nicely it plays haha.

Pickups are all Seymour Duncan, a TB-4 JB bridge model in the bridge, A Alnico II Pro flat APS-2 single coil middle, and Alnico II Pro APH-1 neck.

You can coil split both bridge and neck pickups, which gives me access to 9 different pickup configuration.

Mahogany Body, quilted maple top, 15 inch fretboard radius, 6105 fretwire, Sperzel Locking tuners (gold plated) , gold plated 2 point knife edge trem.

Rosewood fingerboard, pearl inlays.

It's a stunning instrument, that looks amazing, and plays better than some guitars than cost 1000 to 2000 dollars more, but unfortunately I can't keep her.

I'd love to be able to keep that guitar for the nostalgic value of being my first really awesome electric guitar, but since I don't play it anymore and I'm not the type of guy to just collect guitars for the sake of it I have to move on and sell it within the next 6 months to fund gear or another guitar that I will actually use.

Is it most likely the money will actually go towards more recording equipment rather than a new guitar though.