The Official Post Your Gear Thread

The Drummer

Brian Moore Guitar I12000 Series (the beautiful orange/red maple quilted top guitar shown above) is now no longer in my possession.

I tried to sell it on two different guitar forum boards, but no one was ever interested, probably because it's a relatively unknown brand of guitar.

Six months after trying to sell it on forum boards, a friend of mine who was originally saving up towards his first car decided "Fuck the car, I want the guitar first". He's paid a 100 dollar deposit and we worked out a plan where he'd pay me gradually, with it adding up to 1500 AUD in total.

Gotta say I'm really happy to see the guitar go to someone that I know will love it and care for it as much as I did.

• 2 weeks later...

NEW GUITAR I GOT LAST NIGHT:hyper::willy_nilly::D

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

Picture quality sucks, sorry about that folks.

The guitar is an Ibanez RG 1527, from their Japanese made Prestige range.

I got it used, but I got a great deal on it. Comes with Dimarzio Blaze Neck and Bridge pickups that replaced the original pickups, CTS pots that replaced the old ones, high quality Fender 5 way switch that replaced the original switch, as well as a strap lock.

This guitar is fucking amazing. It sounds amazing, the tremolo bridge is soooooo smooth and it's so amazing to play, absolutely effortless.

This guitar made me virtually broke, so no more new guitars for a while:p

I've gotten so used to 7 strings that 6 strings necks look small to me now :lol:

Those photos are pretty shit though, it does look even nicer in real life.

I've played 8 string guitars before and honestly, it was no big deal, as crazy as the neck looks, it was supremely comfortable and felt natural. So given that, a 7 string neck is not really all that crazy or weird.

Something about Ibanez RG necks appeal to me especially. I'm really big on string bends and vibrato, and the necks on my Ibanez RGs have jumbo frets and a 16.92 inch fretboard radius, and bending and vibrato is SOOO much easier than a vintage style Strat neck.

Some guys can still pull off cool vibrato on vintage specification necks, but those are weird fuckers with strong hands. I'm a pretty skinny guy with a weak build, so light gauge strings, big frets and a big fretboard radius help me a lot to just express what I wanna express when I play.

So I guess you're more of well, a Fender guy?

I used to hate Telecasters. Then fuck, I played this dude's Telecaster as well as this awesome strat, and now I want 7 string Telecasters and 7 string strats (like, literally just a strat with all single coil pickups.

As much as I play death metal and all that, there is this hidden late 60s style blues rock player and also kind of a funk player inside me, so I really like to fuck around with single coil guitars when I get the chance, because those kind of pickups really lend themselves well to funk and old school blues rock.

Well okay, I wouldn't really say hidden, since I've shown that blues rock influence on one of my cover videos haha.

Well im a strat man through and through, but like you I dont like telecasters, the deluxe model that Josh Farro uses is pretty cool, but the standard ones are bloody ugly!

Santa has came early for me to though, got my new half stack last night, laney 50tt head and a marshall 1960 cab, its second hand, but in perfect conditon bar a few scratches in the mesh of the cab, I paid half of what i would be if i bought this lot new, but most importantly, it sounds amazing!

Well, I think both strats and teles can look ugly with some color schemes.

I don't like the look of strats with the white pickguard in general.

I think yours with the black pickguard and red body looks quite cool however.

What I like about traditional single coil strats and teles is they just have this particular sound that rules for certain styles of music.

I used to have a negative view on teles and strats, but that changed when I finally got to play some proper, real strats and teles rather than those crappy copy guitars.

I know these dudes that own all sorts of fucking rad guitars. Strats, Teles, jazz boxes, Les Pauls, all sorts of shit. Every time I jam with these guys according to them I'm like a kid in a candy store, because I just get fucking excited and plug in their Fenders into these awesome vintage reissue Fender amps and just start fucking around with that absolutely GORGEOUS clean sound that you can only get with a Strat/Tele and vintage style Fender amp.

And post pics of ya new rig, bitch

Think i made the pic a bit too small...meh. Theres a few scratches in the mesh and a few marks here and there, and it needs a bit of a clean, but that can all be sorted easily. The 1960 cab actualy has a custom paint job to. But it sounds awesome, a real rich full tone, clean channel sounds huge and the crunch is amazing, doesnt have the kinda lead tone i need, but my distortion pedal will deal with that. Did i mention its loud as fuck to?

DSC00273.jpg

I actually borrowed a Laney VC-15 tube amp off some guy for about a month and a half. The clean tone was just fucking gorgeous.

The worst part about the amp? I had to give it back to the owner:(

Given you need 10 times the wattage to double the volume, it should no come as a shock that even 5 watts is plenty of wattage to render you deaf, since that would be indeed, half the volume of 50 watts.

50 watts is loud enough for ANY situation in today's age. The volume difference between 50 and 100 watts (all things being equal) is 10 per cent, 150 watts 20 per cent and so on.

50 watts is probably plenty for your style of music Jordan, although if I were to get an amp, it would be a 100/120 watter, because that kind of wattage works much better with modern metal due to the extra headroom increasing the tightness of the low end.

• 2 months later...

Scott I said it's a 7 string telecaster I actually really want. I don't play 6 string guitars anymore 8-)

But regardless not a bad guitar. Would be cool for the pop punk/alt rock/emo/pop rock stuff I play, although perhaps not quite as suitable for the modern extreme metal stuff I do

Okay, I'm looking to get a proper 'gig' amp, anybody got any recommendations?? Hopefully I'll have a Fender Jag by July too :P

A proper gig amp is anything from a 5 watt mic-d up, monstrous head and 6x12 cabinet combination or a digital amp modeling processor sent straight to FOH and subsequently through stage monitors.

It probably helps to tell us what your needs are and exactly what kind of music you play (genres, list of bands that influence you etc)