Hayley's Keyboard

keiraBEE

I think the new one is a Yamaha Motif XS.

The older one that I remember from the Anaheim bootleg is a Roland Juno D.

EDIT: Yeah, did some research... Yamaha Motif XS6 to be exact. Definitely not the cheapest one on the market! I wouldn't mind one of those myself... Even though my Kurzweil beats the living daylight out of everything else. :hug:

I did a lot of research before buying my first keyboard, so naturally I know a lot about them. :) But also: you can see the keyboard's brand and model in the Live In Anaheim videos. And the newer one...there's this video on Youtube from some random gig where Hayley talks briefly about her new keyboard and the camera is zoomed right into it. You can see the text "Motif XS6". And I know that Motif happens to be the flagship product of Yamaha keyboards. So no magic or psychic abilities here. :)

A Korg X50 would be def. better.

I disagree! The Korg X50 is more of a keyboard to the common people like you and me, while the Motif is clearly made with the professionals in mind. They are in totally different leagues.

Korg X50: 64MB memory, 512 sounds, 62 note polyphony, 2 arpeggiators, no performance mode (layering/splitting of the keyboard)

Yamaha Motif: 355MB of memory, 1024 sounds, 128 note polyphony, 4 arpeggiators, 4 layers or splits in performance mode

Of course, the stuff that Hayley uses the keyboard for right now is so simple that you could do it with the X50 no problem, but you'll never know when they will expand in new directions...

The thing that escapes me though is why does she use the XS6 version with 61 non-weighted keys when there's the XS8 version with 88 fully-weighted keys. I guess it just comes down to taste, but I can't stand hammering those plastic flaps that you see in most keyboards. :)

Now if we start dreaming about keyboards, I wouldn't mind having the Korg Oasys. The thing is that it costs about as much as three Motifs, so I still have a little saving to do...

From past experiences, I decided to put this here to avoid confusion.

DISCLAIMER: Believe it or not, I know people have different opinions, and I think there's nothing wrong with that! Above, I told you what I think, and told you why I think the way that I do.

^ Yeah, Casio doesn't exactly make quality keyboards, but remember that not all of us can afford (or have parents who can afford or want to support us getting) Korgs and Rolands... as beautiful of instruments as they are.

Casios aren't THAT bad IMO. My grandparents got one of them in the late 80's, and it was enough to keep me occupied as a little kid. My grandfather was also somewhat known of a composer around here and all he used was that same Casio. Now my little brother has inherited the instrument and he loves it! Maybe I wouldn't use them for performance, but the feel of the keys is quite the same as in some newer Rolands and such, so it's enough to practice at home.

I have never heard of Casio copying soundbanks from other manufacturers, though...where did you hear about it?

The thing that made me choose a Kurzweil over a Korg was primarily the fact that Kurzweil's pianos and classical instruments are remarkably better than anything Korg has (in the 500€-1500€ range)! But I still think that Korg is the best of them all if you want to have great sounding patches for pretty much anything.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...