Goosebump moments in music?

SalsaC

You know, one of those moments that just send chills down your spine? I just started thinking about this the other day, and I noticed that they aren't necessarily the most genius moments in music, they just have SOMETHING about them that strike a nerve in me.

Here's the deal: Think for a moment. Try to remember if you ever heard a song that fits the description above. And then try to think the reasons for why it affects you the way it does. Doing this might help you understand music a bit better, especially from your own personal point of view.

I'll list a few of mine:

Dream Theater - Peruvian Skies

The song itself is really calm and dreamy, but the song picks up pace after the second chorus. The guitar solo...just knowing that it's coming is enough for me to get goosebumps, and the feeling just gets stronger when it finally starts. Possibly the best use of the wah pedal I've ever heard. As the chords underneath change, John always hits the perfect note for it. Perfect build-up towards the end.

Dream Theater - Hollow Years (Live at Budokan)

The guitar solo here is supposed to be a short melody with an acoustic guitar, but live, John exchanges it for a couple of minutes long electric guitar solo. The harmonic minor is the star here. Beautiful melodies...

Dream Theater - Lines In The Sand

Pretty much the same as Peruvian Skies. Clean guitar sound transformed into a distorted one halfway through the solo. Gets me every time.

Dream Theater - Change Of Seasons

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Both of these songs are a little over 20 minutes long, so once the actual climax comes, it's phenomenal.

Opeth - Ghost Of Perdition

Crushing death metal transformed into an acoustic guitar and this distant male voice in a blink of an eye. It's beautiful on it's own right, but I guess the context just adds to it.

Opeth - Heir Apparent

Basically the same, but the other way around

Gregorian - Close My Eyes Forever

You know what gregorian chanting is? It's this sort of a medieval male choir.

This particular choir covers all these classic rock songs from the 80's and 90's. This Ozzy cover is one of my favourites, but it differs from most of the other songs that it has a modern elctric guitar solo! And what kind of a solo it is! The guitarist displays terrific sense of melody and phrasing, but again, it's the context that makes it so special. I used to listen to this on repeat even before I had started playing guitar myself. It's partially the reason I started guitar in the first place.

Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

A mellow sounding pop song which goes a long and seamless transformation into a face-melting trash metal eruption. It just leaves you wondering "how the hell did they pull that off?"

Porcupine Tree - Way Out Of Here

Really simplistic guitar and vocals, with hardly any melody at all. The chorus just comes out of nowhere with about 10 tracks of distorted chords from the guitar, and the same distortion is added to the vocals as well. Amazing effect.

Devin Townsend - Earth Day

Devin multitracks his voice and his guitars so many times that it's just this big wall of sound that you get sucked into. Everything about this song is just so big that I can't help but shiver in the magnificence of it.

Metal Gear Solid Theme

Remember this video game? It was huge hit on the original Playstation back in the day. The melody in this song takes me back there to my childhood, where I would play this game till the sun rose.

Marc Anthony & Tina Arena - I Want To Spend My Lifetime Loving You

The vocals...One of the best I've ever heard, and being backed up by an orchestra of epic proportions, it gets ridiculously......epic.

VersaEmerge - Clocks

A new acquintance. And I'm talking about the version on their new EP here! They use the acoustic guitar so damn beautifully...not just normal chords, but natural harmonics and percussive effects as well. The vocal melody is backed up with the synth sounds terrificly. The melody is beautiful on it's own right, too. Nothing too fancy, it just goes so perfectly with the underlying chords.

Paramore - Franklin

Don't know what it is, but I get goosebumps pretty much throughout the entire song. I'm thinking it has something to do with the lyrics. I'm not on international tour (yet), but I've just moved out to live on my own in a new town, and I've been thinking about how me and my friends will never get to be together the same way we did throughout our childhood, since we are all scattered across Finland now. Emotional connection with the lyrics? I guess that's the culprit here.

Paramore - My Heart (Live)

In the end, Hayley hits all these notes that just send shiver after shiver down my spine. This is another slap on my face about how my musical ego kept me from listening to Paramore for so long.

Paramore - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen cover)

Exactly the same.

Paramore - Born For This

You all know the chorus, so I don't have to decribe it much. The guitar underneath "everybody sing" is kind of muted and rhythmic. A bit held back, in other words. Once "like it's the last time" comes, the music just explodes! Like all that was held back before, gets unleashed. Chills.

Conclusion

1.I'm more connected to the guitar than I am to any other instrument, so a good guitar solo in the right context is enough.

2. A moving vocal performance. I've started to pay more attention to the vocal delivery after I discovered Paramore, and now it can grab me pretty much like a good guitar solo would.

3.Radical, unexpected change. A sudden shift in the emotional tone of the song will never fail to amaze me.

4.Lyrics. If there's something in the lyrics that I can relate to, it doesn't matter how great the song is otherwise. I just love to listen to it anyway. Doesn't happen too often.

5.Epicness. This doesn't always work. But if there's something in the song that makes me connect to it, then once the song gets all bombastic and epic, I'm feeling the sensation in myself as well.

6.Memory. If a song brings back happy memories, it results in goosebumps pretty much always.

7. Interplay of instruments. The way the instruments/vocals are melded together can make a huge difference. It rarely results in goosebumps, but it's possible.

Our Lady Of Sorrows - My Chemical Romance

This is my favourite songs of all time. Each intrument plays a prominent part and without any, the song just wouldn't be the same. I can't resist rocking out to this, it's just such a fantastic track and the lyrics really mean something to me (enough that I want some tattooed to me!). This is the track that makes me so passionate about music. I'm not good with the technical terms, but something about it just gets me every time.

Early Sunsets Over Monroeville - My Chemical Romance

The raw emotion in Gerard's voice just sends shivers down my spine. As depressing as these lyrics may be, I choose to listen to this most nights. I find it impossible to ever skip this song, not just down to the harrowing vocals but down to the excellent riff of the rhythm guitar, just an amazing track.

Stupid MF - Mindless Self Indulgence

I just go CRAZY whenever I hear the build-up to the first verse, I can't explain it but it never fails to grab my attention. Even in school when listening on my iPod, I'll jump abut to it. I can't help it! Many people view MSI as a joke band because they don't get it. But seriously, this band mean so much to me because they are just so out there.

Blue and Yellow - The Used

This song always makes tears come to my eyes!! Whenever I'm feeling a little down, I'll just put in my Maybe Memories DVD and watch the video to this song. Bert's vocals are simply beautiful.

All These Things That I've Done - The Killers

C'mon, if U2 can add some of these lyrics to their set, you know it's a good song! "I got soul but I'm not a soldier" are just ingenious lyrics to me, I even have a t-shirt saying them. Throughout this song are amazing lyrics, even if you've never heard the song before, when it comes to the gospel choir's part, you can't help but join in. Sure, it's pretty cheesy, but it works. I'll always love this song.

My Heart - Paramore

I don't need a real description for this, you all know it. When Hayley's soulful melodies and Josh's screaming merge into one another, it's just a moment I can't help but replay and replay and replay, until my parents tell me to switch songs!!

Feelin' This - Blink 182

Just listen and you'll get it. Just listen to the intro and you'll get why this song is so fantastic, I couldn't possibly grow tired of it. (Happy birthday Mark!)

Everybody's Fool - Evanescence

This song means a lot to me, it's so smart, the guitars sound fantastic and c'monnnn Amy is one HELL of a singer!

There are tons more but no one is gonna read them so I'll save my thoughts!

You Won't Know- Brand New

Seriously, just LISTEN to this song. Whenever he says "So pray little Kay loves God on a good day." and "You won't knowwww!" I just can't contain myself. It feels like something is stirred inside of you whenever you hear this song, especially when played loud. Every time I hear it I'm just like "OH MY FUCKING GOD, I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG." I literally punched my wall from sheer intensity. (Haha) The music and Jesse Lacey's vocals are incredible. You're just so in awe with this song, as well as every Brand New Song.

Boulders- New Found Glory

This song makes me want to cry. It's just, so beautiful. Especially with the choir-ish vocals near the end. It's somewhat slow, but it still has that NFG tone we all know and love.

One Day I Slowly Floated Away- Eisley

You know how in mythology you always hear about sirens who sing and pull sailors out from the sea? Well, if there was one band that would represent that sound entirely, it's Eisley. Especially in this song. Also in Lost at Sea.

Night Terror- Laura Marling

Her voice is so haunting and chilling, it's beautiful. I could listen to her forever. Especially this song. It's a great song to listen to when it's dark, it's just so moody and wonderful.

Sunday Morning- No Doubt

Completely my favorite No Doubt song of all time. Gwen's voice is amazing in this song. My friend AJ once said this song made him want to "jump on a surf board and let the wind blow his hair back", which I understand, but the song is much more amazing then that. Just listen, and you'll love it!

You're Not Sorry (CSI Remix)- Taylor Swift

I know I know, it's Taylor Swift. But the remix for this song is so incredible, as well as her voice. I listen to this loudly and just sing it at the top of my lungs, and so much raw emotion is evoked. It's awesome. Even if you're not in the situation the song is about, it's amazing.

And every Paramore song listed above. :)

There's way more but I'm lazy. Haha.

I'll do some more then.

Fighter - Christina Aguilera

Regardless of whether she actually wrote the song or not, you can tell it means something to her. Christina just absolutely goes for it throughout and this is genuinelly one of my favourite songs of all time.

Everytime - Britney Spears

This song is way underrated. Just because it's a ballad doesn't mean it isn't great! I just find it such a lovely song, quite upsetting when you think.. it was her final single before the meltdown.

Acrobat - U2

This is actually my dad's favourite song and because it means so much to him, it means a lot to me also. I've grown up with U2 and enjoy most of their music. This, for me, is a total standout song.

Hurt - Johnny Cash

I also grew up with Johnny Cash, but from my mam's side of the family. No, this isn't my favourite track of his, but that isn't the purpose of the thread, it's for goosebump moments. This was the final song released before Cash's death and the video is simply heartbreaking. Whether you are a fan of him or not, I find most people will be touched by the simplicity of this video and the song, it's just beautiful.

Scream - Kill Hannah

I think the piana intro to this song is one minute 14 seconds, or something about that. Usually, I grow a little fed up with long intros, but not this one. Even before you hear a single word from Mat, the music tugs on your heartsrings, mine anyway. I just find it a lovely song, extremely sad, but lovely.

Right now I can't think of anymore that are worth typing up.. But there are 100's of songs that stand out to me.

to Ross

^ Yes pretty much every song from that album.

Especially You Won't Know for me.

I turn that up as loud as I can on my big speakers and scream along with it. It's so intense and incredible it makes me wanna cry. Haha.

It's Luca and Limousine for me. Luca isn't the best song on the album but when it kicks in after about 4 minutes, it's pretty damn intense.

Limo is just perfection for me. There's just so much going on, and it just doesn't let up. The story behind it obviously adds something extra but we've all heard that story a million times now.

Enya - Adiemus

I saw movie called ''Invisible Children''. And they had this song in trailer, and the movie was really touching. So when i listen to this song then the movie come into my mind again.

(that might be weird song, but yesh..)

Paramore - Let The Flames Begin (live)

I like the intro and the way she sings it in live (playing around with hes voice). And ofc the end. And all the music and words are great !

Sunny Day Real Estate - Faces In Disguises

The music is good ! For me like some freedom or something like that (some songs have that feeling but i just don't know how to describe it)

Flyleaf - All Around Me

Lacey's voice, lyricks, music - super !

Flyleaf - Red Sam

Lacey's voice, lyricks, music - super !

Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence

Again that weird feeling i can't describe. And the video is made by the book ''The Little Prince'', and i like it.

Actually there are more songs ;) !

It's Luca and Limousine for me. Luca isn't the best song on the album but when it kicks in after about 4 minutes, it's pretty damn intense.

Limo is just perfection for me. There's just so much going on, and it just doesn't let up. The story behind it obviously adds something extra but we've all heard that story a million times now.

Ohh yess, when I first heard Luca, it was dark and I was alone and when it kicked in it scared the shit out of me. :lol:

But oh my god, Limousine. I looove when theyre saying "Seven loves you so much..."

and in the background you can slightly hear

"I'll never have to buy adjacent plots of earth

We'll never have to rot together underneath dirt

I'll never have to lose my baby in the crowd

I should be laughing right now"

Amazes me every time.

OH OH OH

And Sowing Season!

"I am not your friend

I am just a man who knows how to feel

I am not your friend

I'm not your lover,

I'm not your family.

Yeah"

gets me every time :)

There's quite a few from me....

Prostitute - Guns N' Roses

"Ask yourself; Why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame" that part is GREAT

I'd go all out with this thread but I'm kinda rushing.

Oh, here we go!

Brand New- Luca

The part when it kicks in actually scares me. Every time. It's so damn....demonic. And it's amazing.

Brand New- Logan To Government Center

The bridge. "Absolutely definately gone..." into the guitar part. Just makes you wanna rock out!!

Avenged Sevenfold- Waking The Fallen

Honestly, this IS the BEST "metalcore" album EVER. The arrangements, the vocals. EVERYTHING is flawless.

Avenged Sevenfold- Strength Of The World

The outro, with all the strings, is just awesome. Epic!

Nirvana- Heart Shaped Box

The whole song is just incredible. Emotional

Paramore-Pressure

Cliche, but the whole song is just perfect for what it is. Vocal harmonies in the chorus are awesome

Saosin- Follow And Feel

The chorus vocals are incredible.

tbh there are waaay too many to put now. I'll keep contributing

The end of Jesus is pretty damn briliant as well. It makes up for the rest of the song being sorta samey.

I love Jesus! But yeah the ending is awesome :)

And also Welcome to Bangkok. Even though there are not words, that song kicks so much ass. haha.

Oh, here we go!

Brand New- Luca

The part when it kicks in actually scares me. Every time. It's so damn....demonic. And it's amazing.

Brand New- Logan To Government Center

The bridge. "Absolutely definately gone..." into the guitar part. Just makes you wanna rock out!!

YES! I agree! Especially on the Luca one.

Oh, one more!

Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

Once again, it's the guitar solo... I learned it as a little teenager, but it wasn't enough!

I knew the notes inside out, and there were no technical challenges in the traditional sense, but I just couldn't replicate the sound Slash gets out of his guitar. I couldn't tell what it was that I was doing wrong.

Now I'm starting to get there. He does these barely audible, subtle tricks with his pickstrokes every now and then, which get the string vibrating in a different way than it would normally do.

All that aside, it is still one of the most moving guitar solos I've come across in my life. Maybe it's the fact that I've learnt it myself, so that I can appreciate every single note in a new way. And then there's this short build up when Slash turns his wah pedal on. Works perfectly in the context of the solo.

Reuben- Racecar Is Racecar Is Backwards

Whereas most albums have at least one weaker track, this album is literally flawless. Evey song just blew me away. SO diverse. From the poppy opener Noone Wins The War to the softer Song For Saturday to the brutal Missing Fingers to beautiful closer Dusk. I can't reccomend this album enough. GET IT

Paramore: Emergency

It's the guitar solo near the end that I loveee, and they do it perfectly live. It just gives my goosebumps, I don't know why. I don't usually care about the music in the songs, more about the vocals, but this really moves me.

Avril Lavigne: Tomorrow

The whole song moves me really, when I listen to it I prefer to just stop and listen to it. It's so beautiful, and its the "hey yeah, yeah, yeah" bit that gets me. It reminds me of things, so its quite powerful to me.

Blink 182: Stay Together For The Kids

When I first heard the song I was gonna turn it over cos it sounded like the old stuff they used to do that I didn't really like, til the chorus started and I fell in love with it. I love the song.

Paramore: Let The Flames Begin

The whole song is just incredible. Every bit of it.

PCD: Top Of The World

All of PCD's songs give me goosebumps generally, just cos I love them so much. But this song stands out to me. The vocals in it from Melody are outstanding, and give you chills, and the song kind of captures where I am going in life with my dancing and stuff, so it's personal to me.

Xtina: Fighter

The same reasons as Shannon really. I was addicted to this song for a while, the vocals are amazing. I don't like alot of her music but her voice gives me chills.

Kelly Clarkson: Addicted

Same as Fighter, amazing vocals, capturing song.

Paramore: Emergency

It's the guitar solo near the end that I loveee, and they do it perfectly live. It just gives my goosebumps, I don't know why. I don't usually care about the music in the songs, more about the vocals, but this really moves me.

Avril Lavigne: Tomorrow

The whole song moves me really, when I listen to it I prefer to just stop and listen to it. It's so beautiful, and its the "hey yeah, yeah, yeah" bit that gets me. It reminds me of things, so its quite powerful to me.

Blink 182: Stay Together For The Kids

When I first heard the song I was gonna turn it over cos it sounded like the old stuff they used to do that I didn't really like, til the chorus started and I fell in love with it. I love the song.

Paramore: Let The Flames Begin

The whole song is just incredible. Every bit of it.

PCD: Top Of The World

All of PCD's songs give me goosebumps generally, just cos I love them so much. But this song stands out to me. The vocals in it from Melody are outstanding, and give you chills, and the song kind of captures where I am going in life with my dancing and stuff, so it's personal to me.

Xtina: Fighter

The same reasons as Shannon really. I was addicted to this song for a while, the vocals are amazing. I don't like alot of her music but her voice gives me chills.

Kelly Clarkson: Addicted

Same as Fighter, amazing vocals, capturing song.

Your answers reminded me.. Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson and Anything But Ordinary by Avril Lavigne.