Sigur Rós

XslightaddictionX

yes.

YES.

I heard of them somewhere around 2006 but it took me a couple of years before I listened to them properly. Like it is with most post-rock, I need to be in a specific state of mind to be able to appreciate that minimalism and slowly-building soundscapes, but when I am, it's great. I can hardly remember any of their songs by name since they are in icelandic, so every listen feels like it's the first. :) I've heard people say that Sigur Ros is just "whale-noise", and I can understand where that opinion comes from. Post-rock is such a hard genre to get into, but it's worth the effort in the end, because it will delve much deeper into your mind than "tec-death" or something like that. It's just a matter of opening up to it. That's what I feel, anyway. Appreciate the band, and the genre, people!

Now, the human voice sounds like just another instrument because you can't make a word out of it. It would probably take away some of the magic if they started singing in english. Dunno, maybe it would also add something cool, hard to guess. I listened to a bunch of Sigur Ros albums on my way here, and I set them somewhere between Explosions In The Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor on my post-rock ranking. If you want to get deeper into post-rock, try the former.

Yeah, it's the same here. And I still have a bit of "musical elitist" inside of me, so I guess I listen to Sigur Ros a bit more critically than other bands from the same genre :)

I've heard of A Silver Mt. Zion, but I don't have any of their albums. Can you recommend any?

• 3 years later...

What?! No new posts since 2009? Come on, people!

I really really love Sigur Ros. I only knew Hoppipolla at first, but when I decided to sink into their entire discography, I fell in love with them! Agaetis Byrjun has ended up one of my favourite albums of all time! <3

Anyway, quickly after May 2012's Valtari, they're prepping up a new album, called Kveikur, to be released June 17! It's going to be more aggressive than the last couple of albums, pretty much back to the origins.

Here's the lead single; the Brennisteinn EP is already out on their website (really worth checking out). What do you think?