The Covers Thread

Jorgi

cynic as i am, i have finally decided to embrace the "Musicians" subforum. ah, gracious me, i feel much better within myself all of a sudden.

...but yeah, i cover songs when i'm bored or avoiding coursework/revision (usually the latter) and alot of you probably do too so i thought i should make a thread so y'all can post them. yes.

mine so far (i am in no way claiming to be any good, by the way, it's just something ido):

paramore

pressure

decode

misery business (acoustic)

hallelujah

conspiracy

all we know

emergency

Funeral for a friend

all the rage

roses for the dead

recovery

monsters

Chiodos

baby you wouldn't last one minute on the creek

jimmy eat world

sweetness

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the Paramore stuff

Pressure

-Not much to say except "well played"

Decode

-You shouldn't pull your pinky away like that when it's not needed. Having all four fingers above the fretboard would also help your bending if you do bending by rotating the arm around it's axis. Which I think you did.

-Learning a proper vibrato would help your sound heaps. Learn to control it's depth and frequency. The lead part would've sounded much better and more Josh that way.

Misery Business

-Can't really add anything that you don't already know

Hallelujah

-Try adding a 9th to the chords in the chorus. Like this:

11 8 4

9 6 2

9 6 2

I'm pretty sure that's how they are played.

-If you have a chromatic tuner, try to play, for example, an A on the 17th fret of the high E string. You'll notice that it isn't an A, even when the string itself is supposed to be in tune. It's a problem with the intonation. Try to adjust the string lengths from the bridge of the guitar to get those higher notes to be in tune as well. Intonation might also start to shake because of worn-out strings.

Conspiracy

-The tab you used has flaws everywhere. You can find a correct one here. You'll have to download Guitar Pro as well, but it's worth the effort. I've used Guitar Pro for all my tab needs for years.

All We Know

-Not much to say here either. A solid cover.

Emergency

-The playing was good. You know the rest.

I'd also like to take a minute to talk to you about my own Paramore cover:

Fences

All musicians and lurkers alike, tell me what you think of it!

I want to do drum covers so bad, but sadly I have no way of recording them.

I have a digital camera, but the mics make the drums sound terrible

You totally should! I know that it probably would sound bad cause of the camera but who cares??? I love watching drum covers :D

i make a thread and then forget all about it, huh.

but yeha stoked guys !

and stoked on the constructive crit- in my defence however:

the pinky avoidance is the result of being self-taught on a strict diet of power chords that i never learnt how to play properly for absolutely ages... it's now just a force of habit i don't tuck it consciously it just happens all by itself !

and yeah, intonation issues are most likely down to knackered strings... my finances do not allow for such things as new strings until the snap, and i haven't played frequently for that to happen in a fair few months so hmmn.

cheers though man, appreciated !

and seriously im so stoked on the little wing cover... major props, maaaajjjooorrr.

I know it's done unconsciously, it's not like I haven't been in the same situation in the past (with the pinky)! I started to straighten it every time I caught myself retracting it and now I do them both unconsciously (straightening and retracting). It's an endless struggle. :) You can fix it too, if you want to.

And thanks for the maaaajjjooorrr props!

Thanks! You can play guitar wayy better than I could at your age and your singing was pretty good as well! You have a huge future ahead of you. :D I especially liked the Snow Patrol cover, even if I have never heard the song before. Are you still doing this stuff?

I think it might've been that way over here, seeing how almost everything from the UK eventually finds it's way here. But I don't pay that much attention to the stuff on the radio. What I'm thinking is that if you keep playing, you may become an amazing guitar player/singer! So keep at it. ;-)

That was killer! It was a good decision to cover the live version! The atmosphere was so much better.

So you used the normal drop d tuning? Yeah, it doesn't change much, EXCEPT that you can't play that crushingly low C#5 with a normal drop d. :D That was one reeeeally minor disappointment. The solo was much better than the original, I think! Really well thought out, varied and melodic. I was so expecting you to do the dive bomb that Sea Of Treachery used in their cover of the song in that little part after the solo where Hayley sings with the drums backing. You LOOKED like you were gonna do it, and I was already "here it comes..." but you didn't do it. Hahah, I really enjoyed that anyway!

Yeah, it's a nuisance to tune it that way for Paramore songs...

Hey, in case you want to check it out, I posted a Little Wing cover on the first page of this thread. I also created a thread for my stuff which has one Paramore cover and one original song I was hoping to get some comments on. *hint*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...