The Covers Thread

Jorgi

That was really good! You have a really nice tone to your voice...do you take singing lessons? I'm hearing some real talent there!

What I think you could improve:

-Sing louder. This is where it gets technical (breathing, sound formation blah blah...), but it would help in bringing your voice out more

-Pitch accuracy. Run through some scales with either the piano or guitar and sing the notes out loud. As you get more experienced, start throwing in different arpeggios, different intervals etc etc... pitch accuracy will improve over time anyway, but these kind of exercises train your ear and speed up the process

-There was something I noticed about the way you shape the sound in your mouth, but I forgot what it was... okay, this one is useless :)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was really good! You have a really nice tone to your voice...do you take singing lessons? I'm hearing some real talent there!

What I think you could improve:

-Sing louder. This is where it gets technical (breathing, sound formation blah blah...), but it would help in bringing your voice out more

-Pitch accuracy. Run through some scales with either the piano or guitar and sing the notes out loud. As you get more experienced, start throwing in different arpeggios, different intervals etc etc... pitch accuracy will improve over time anyway, but these kind of exercises train your ear and speed up the process

-There was something I noticed about the way you shape the sound in your mouth, but I forgot what it was... okay, this one is useless :)

OMG Thanks for even bother listening to this.

i newer took any voice lessons just sang in my school choir when i was a kid...

i just stareted gutar lessons so that might be helpful...

i now it sounds much better when i sing louder..but recording with mp3 would be impossible then Lol

LOL what about the way i shape the sound in my mouth? i would really like to know that one too :)

And you have no idea how much i appreciate all this tips from you thanks so much:hug:

Great advice from Pekka there.

I heard the clip too, not bad.

I have a few friends, females, that have sung in choirs but have had no formal vocal training and they have similar problems with wavering pitch.

If you've only just started playing guitar, I'd say skip the arpeggios thing since that's not something you generally do as a beginner.

Of course as you advance as a player, feel free to learn sweep picking and two handed tapping techniques to execute arpeggiated lines.

If you have a program that simulates instruments and has a piano roll (Fruity Loops is a good example of a a program that has that functionality in the freeware/demo version), plug arpeggio patterns into that and just sing along to them slowly.

As you get better, you sing along to them faster.

Another thing too, lastly, is even when you do do a cover version of a song, don't be too fussed about replicating it too exactly.

Try as you might, you'll never sound exactly like Hayley Williams.

When I say that, don't be discouraged, because this is not a bad thing at all.

What makes Hayley so great is that she has an individual style and voice.

When you really start to find your own voice, be it on the guitar, vocals or many other instruments, you realize you'll have your own inflections, your own subtleties, your own style of vibrato, your own phrasing, your own note choice and so on.

Embrace your own style, develop it, improve it and you'll have the potential to be like many of the great musicians that have come before you.

Great advice from Pekka there.

I heard the clip too, not bad.

I have a few friends, females, that have sung in choirs but have had no formal vocal training and they have similar problems with wavering pitch.

If you've only just started playing guitar, I'd say skip the arpeggios thing since that's not something you generally do as a beginner.

Of course as you advance as a player, feel free to learn sweep picking and two handed tapping techniques to execute arpeggiated lines.

If you have a program that simulates instruments and has a piano roll (Fruity Loops is a good example of a a program that has that functionality in the freeware/demo version), plug arpeggio patterns into that and just sing along to them slowly.

As you get better, you sing along to them faster.

Another thing too, lastly, is even when you do do a cover version of a song, don't be too fussed about replicating it too exactly.

Try as you might, you'll never sound exactly like Hayley Williams.

When I say that, don't be discouraged, because this is not a bad thing at all.

What makes Hayley so great is that she has an individual style and voice.

When you really start to find your own voice, be it on the guitar, vocals or many other instruments, you realize you'll have your own inflections, your own subtleties, your own style of vibrato, your own phrasing, your own note choice and so on.

Embrace your own style, develop it, improve it and you'll have the potential to be like many of the great musicians that have come before you.

Thanks for the tips.

:)

Well, since I'm new here anywhere, I'd like to discuss the Original poster's (Jorgi's) covers.

When playing Decode, I notice you seem to separate the notes in the opening 3 note chords.

Don't separate those notes, play them all as one flowing chord to get the effect of the original studio album.

In general, for the rest, the playing is not too bad for someone who has never had lessons, but you need to work on bending and vibrato.

Good, controlled vibrato is actually quite a technical thing, believe it or not.

Are you familiar with guitarists like Joe Satriani (Solo artist, but also well known for more recently being the guitarist in the rock band Chickenfoot), David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd fame) and Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden?

Now, I'm not saying you have to automatically like their music or respective bands they are in, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not listening to them and learning about vibrato, bending, phrasing and note choice.

I strongly suggest listening to these artists and taking notes on their playing styles.

Joe Satriani is the virtuoso of the bunch, but all 3 players have a reputation for amazing control over their playing, amazing note choice and great ears for intonation and musicality.

A lot of the live performance Joe Satriani DVD's offer amazing insight in correct fingering for scalar playing (as well as chording), amazingly controlled vibrato and bending and just general control over playing.

While I can't stand most of his music because it's quite overdone, Yngwie Malmsteen also has some amazing vibrato.

Watch some youtube videos of him (if you can get past the endless over the top excess of notes) and you'll more insight into controlled vibrato technique.

If I can get a hold of my friend who has a reasonable video camera, hell, I'd even make a video of me teaching vibrato for the benefit of you or others.

Regarding intonation and worn out, grotty strings, I strongly recommend next time you grab a set of strings, buy Elixir Nanowebs.

They cost a fair bit more than normal strings, but in the long term you save lots of money because they last significantly longer before they go cruddy due to the coating applied to the strings.

I'll clarify my point about the arpeggios a bit...I didn't mean singing A#maj7#11 fusion shred 12-handed tapping stuff, but just simple triads that will have the singer jump around the scale a bit. It's a crucial SLS technique to help you switch between registers effortlessly. Take a simple major triad and sing it. Then bring it up a halftone and do it again, etc...

I second almost everything Harry said about vibrato, except that I find Yngwie's vibrato a bit too violent. Yngwie is able to use vibrato really well, like shown

, but he also has the habit of using a wild vibrato (fiercely yanking the string) as a pit stop between lightning speed scalar runs. Versatility is never bad, but for starters, I'd say concentrate on players like Joe Satriani who use vibrato to their advantage in far more numerous ways.

Agreed on the excessively wild vibrato thing Yngwie does, but to be fair even when it is overly violent and fierce, it's always under control even if when he gives you the impression he might lose it.

I saw the man live in 2006, absolutely super tight playing.

Heh, to be fair I couldn't play fusion to save my butt, haha. I'm pretty much a rock and metal guitarist.

If you don't get around to it Pekka, I could probably tab out a bunch of simple to play arpeggios in various key signatures for Ivana on guitar that hopefully she can get into without a lot of trouble.

It was very surprising, all this time of playing thrash metal, death metal, prog metal etc etc, and then learning and listening to some Paramore, there is plenty to learn from them.

Particularly restraint (Yngwie could learn from Paramore a lot in that respect lol) and a just a lot of chord voicings and rhythmic patterns I don't normally use, I'm picking that up from Paramore. Comes across as simple I guess, but Paramore has some pretty damn tight playing, interesting chord voicings and great song writing that's harder than meets the eye.

I guess I'm more hoping to be a well rounded guitarist than the next Yngwie Malmsteen really, and the simpler stuff really helps to develop that.

If you don't get around to it Pekka, I could probably tab out a bunch of simple to play arpeggios in various key signatures for Ivana on guitar that hopefully she can get into without a lot of trouble.

@ Jorgi

"Good, controlled vibrato is actually quite a technical thing, believe it or not."

@ Jorgi

Apologies Jorgi, I guess that may have come across as somewhat patronizing.

What I did mean to say really, is that when people talk about technique and what is technical on guitar, they talk about the playing fast side of things : alternate picking, sweep picking, legato, two handed tapping etc.

But a lot of people forget how fundamental things like bending and vibrato, phrasing etc is to becoming a great player, particularly in the lead guitar domain.

Reading through plenty of interviews with the players I admire, plenty of them mention that they spent hours refining their vibrato.

Being able to vibrato in tune, night after night when playing live, that's a hard and technical thing to do, despite what bedroom shredder X has people believe.

I spent ages on my vibrato, getting it to sound good and even and even occasionally I slip up still, because at the end of the day we're all human.

Plenty of times when I wanted to just outright quit playing because I felt I wasn't good enough, because I wasn't improving, because it was frustrating at times, but I pulled through.

Every great musician is always super humble and realizes they can get better.

Always have the attitude you can get better, because if you do, you will get better.

Whether you want to be a guitar teacher, a pro level gigging musician or even just a hobbyist player, you can be the best you can be.

Don't feel discouraged when I tell you things like masterful and consistent intonation and vibrato will take a relatively long time to achieve. I've been playing since I was 16, and to be honest I'm still not there. I have video performances of me playing where I've been at times badly out of tune and sloppy. It was a very discouraging experience for me to see these bad performances.

You'll get better, and keep posting up your covers so we can gauge your improvement, where your deficiencies lie and how you can improve them.

It is my joy and my pleasure to be able to give advice and my joy and pleasure to receive advice.

Probably sounds like I'm rambling on now, but indeed, keep rockin' and look forward to more covers =)

that would be so cool if you can find the time for that:wink:

^Do you have Guitar Pro by any chance? Would make it a lot easier and I can get it done a lot sooner. It's honestly no trouble, it's always cool for me to revise music theory every once in a while, so I don't mind doing it.

^Do you have Guitar Pro by any chance? Would make it a lot easier and I can get it done a lot sooner. It's honestly no trouble, it's always cool for me to revise music theory every once in a while, so I don't mind doing it.

i dont have it right now but i can download it ,it is no problem...

but keep in mind that im a complete beginner...:P

i dont have it right now but i can download it ,it is no problem...

but keep in mind that im a complete beginner...:P

Awesome! I can do it all in Guitar Pro then and you can then learn it that way.

Don't worry, I wont make it anything technical, I'll keep it as simple as I possibly can.

BTW, would you be interested in collaborating with me on Paramore covers? I cannot sing what so ever (well, I sorta can, but it doesn't sound that good) and of course it wouldn't sound good having a boy sign Paramore songs anymore.

I cannot say for certain right now, but I do have all the necessary equipment and computer software to record guitar, bass guitar and program drums.

If you have a good microphone, let me know and I will be able to make the backing tracks for you to sing over.

Once that's done I can insert the vocals in the mix, process them slightly with de-essing, compress etc and then we have ourselves a collaboration.

I'm still basically a beginner when it comes to audio engineering, so I need to work on that.

I would absolutely love to work with you anytime in the future, let me know if you can make it happen and I'll let you know too.

Awesome! I can do it all in Guitar Pro then and you can then learn it that way.

Don't worry, I wont make it anything technical, I'll keep it as simple as I possibly can.

BTW, would you be interested in collaborating with me on Paramore covers? I cannot sing what so ever (well, I sorta can, but it doesn't sound that good) and of course it wouldn't sound good having a boy sign Paramore songs anymore.

I cannot say for certain right now, but I do have all the necessary equipment and computer software to record guitar, bass guitar and program drums.

If you have a good microphone, let me know and I will be able to make the backing tracks for you to sing over.

Once that's done I can insert the vocals in the mix, process them slightly with de-essing, compress etc and then we have ourselves a collaboration.

I'm still basically a beginner when it comes to audio engineering, so I need to work on that.

I would absolutely love to work with you anytime in the future, let me know if you can make it happen and I'll let you know too.

I fell flatered... sure i would..just need to get microphone a good one 'couse i dont have it right now but other than that ill be apsollutley fine with that :)

^Awesome!

BTW Pekka, just checked out your arrangements of Fences.

Good stuff bro, nice arrangement, great playing, nothing to fault really.

Your Little Wing cover, props to you man.

I could never play that opening section, ever. It's a pretty damn technical stuff, rhythm guitar wise, it's well beyond me, but you pulled it off well.

Show us some more stuff, really want to see/hear more.

Hey, thanks a bunch for listening! I appreciate it!

I'm probably going to cover a Protest The Hero song next, but I'm performing some piano stuff next weekend so I have my hands full right now. I'll try to get to it as fast as I can, now that I have an eager audience. :)

Hey, thanks a bunch for listening! I appreciate it!

I'm probably going to cover a Protest The Hero song next, but I'm performing some piano stuff next weekend so I have my hands full right now. I'll try to get to it as fast as I can, now that I have an eager audience. :)

Cannot freakin' wait for PTH stuff. Anything off Fortress would be killer.

I call playing bass on said tracks (PF.com e-cover band? lol)

I have no problems with you suggesting yourself, but it actually gets kinda hard once you get more people collaborating when you don't live next door and can just come around and record your parts whenever.

It's not as easy as just you sending your bass parts over, and then me just slotting it into the mix, there is all sorts of things to deal with like whether or not your tone in the first place is appropriate and fits the mix well enough and a whole bunch of other things I can't be bothered explaining right now.

It's just a pain to say "Can you re record that part again? and have to wait however many hours or so to receive the files so I can see if it works out well or not, a problem I wont get if I play the bass myself.

That said, I wont totally rule you out, because it's nothing against you, it's just about the pain in the butt things I would have to go through.

If I don't feel your stuff fits in the mix, I can always re record bass later, but if you can send me wav files of your playing so I can learn the stuff more quickly on bass (I haven't learnt any Paramore on bass yet, only guitar so far), I would definitely give you credit for helping out despite not having your parts appear in the final mix.

Yeah, it's a nuisance to tune it that way for Paramore songs...

Hey, in case you want to check it out, I posted a Little Wing cover on the first page of this thread. I also created a thread for my stuff which has one Paramore cover and one original song I was hoping to get some comments on. *hint*

That is why you buy a 7 string guitar, lol.

What's awesome about having a 7 string is that for a lot of songs that require down tuning on a 6 string, you simply just transpose stuff so it works on the 7 string.

Of course, this doesn't always work, especially if you try to play technical stuff where the stretches are going to be just too big playing it transposed on a 7 string tuned B E A D G B E, but for stuff like Paramore, I am completely able to play their stuff that is in other tunings without re tuning my guitar.

Wanna play Fences? No Worries.

Wanna play Decode? No Worries, no retuning!

7 strings cop that flack as being the nu metal instrument, but screw the haters.

I'm never going back to playing 6 strings full time, 7 string necks are more ergonomic, allows a bit more sustain IMHO, offers more possibilities for soloing and of course, opens up possibilities for really big chords that simply aren't possible on a 6 string.

I hugely recommend you get 7 string, it really expands your options so much.

^ I agree with you with the complexities if I wanted to put bass tracks down. I said that more or less as a "joke" (if you will). I don't have the best equipment either [all I have is a pc mic (its actually a pretty decent quality mic), and I would record with audacity)] so that would make it sound even more ratty if my tone is off or it just doesn't sound right. However, I would like to give it a go just for craps and laughs.

^Definite no no if you're gonna record using Audacity lol.

I've running Ableton Live 8 Suite, which is basically a professional level program up there with Pro Tools and Cubase etc.

You're probably hyper jealous and all, but to be fair I'm not rich at all, I am just lucky that my sister lives in Germany and literally works for Ableton, so I saved myself 1300 AUD.

I've had this damn program since April this year and two months later it's still confusing at times, it's just so ridiculously feature packed and complex.

If it's any consolation, I don't even own a guitar amp (I run a second hand Line 6 POD X3 Live into studio monitors, which is reasonable I guess since studio monitors are useful for mixing) and I bought my 7 string (mind you, it's used guitar too) and POD out of my own money (from back in the days when I had a job, I'm a jobless bum now:mrgreen:)

Send me a few bass tracks for shits and giggles, nothing more hilarious than stuff recording via a PC microphone going into freeware like Audacity:mrgreen: