The Covers Thread

Jorgi

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on? Are you crazy, or am I too obsessive about details no one else but myself cares about?

The transition from the lead that goes into the second verse (on the studio album it's done on a pitch shifter, but fucked if I'm going to make a patch on my POD just for that lead sound, too much effort and no one, not even me would care if it doesn't sound like the studio version), I kinda just blanked out a little and missed it.

And that bit where I went all chugga chug I came in 2 bars too late because I wasn't focusing properly.

I really didn't sleep well the night before either, which is partly too blame.

Overall I'm not totally happy with it and think I could have done better had I actually not decided at the last minute without having played it in 2 weeks that I was going to cover it and had I not been sleep deprived as much as I was.

And don't give me the whole "Well, you're a musician, of course you wont be happy with it!" because even then in hindsight many of us can say it was at least fairly good, the truth is I'm just not that happy with it.

I was gonna redo it today, but at one point I just said fuck it, maybe I'll just wait until I get my new pickups installed, since it will make things sound clearer and more defined anyway.

I could've analyzed every mistake I heard but it would've been nothing you didn't already know, me thinks. What I can say is that the transition from the verse to the clean chords of the bridge took a bit too much time. I think it stopped the flow from your playing almost completely.

not spot on, but close enough. props for doing something different.

i haven't played guitar in a long, long while, ashamedly. got in from school and i had this urge to learn something, so i learnt this, and now my fingers are so blistered from aforementioned not-playing-guitar-in-a-long-while, THUS i only did one take of recording it. so it sucks. but i had to do something, yunno, just had to do something.

/excuses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ_VBJAIj_I

I could've analyzed every mistake I heard but it would've been nothing you didn't already know, me thinks. What I can say is that the transition from the verse to the clean chords of the bridge took a bit too much time. I think it stopped the flow from your playing almost completely.

It's a real pain to switch amp channels (well, POD channels) and move positions like that, something I find I actually had to practice too. I managed to get that down well today, but as it turns out didn't film anything today:roll:

not spot on, but close enough. props for doing something different.

i haven't played guitar in a long, long while, ashamedly. got in from school and i had this urge to learn something, so i learnt this, and now my fingers are so blistered from aforementioned not-playing-guitar-in-a-long-while, THUS i only did one take of recording it. so it sucks. but i had to do something, yunno, just had to do something.

/excuses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ_VBJAIj_I

Haven't changed the strings since last time I assume? Still got intonation/tuning issues lol. It does make me cringe hearing so much out of tune stuff, but hey understandably you're not really into guitar playing as much as me or Pekka, so at the end of the day I can overlook that.

For what it is, it's quite good for someone that hasn't played in a while. I start to feel really weird if I go more than 24 hours without playing, but that's because I'm all borderline OCD and stuck in certain routines : P

haha no, no i haven't, bad times... although now you've said that i think i'll go out and buy some - i think it's a testament to how long i haven't played anything decent that i can't even tell anymore ? my pitch is evidently fucked. ah well.

and nope evidently not haha... i used to be. i don't know, other stuff got in the way. i go through phases of obsessing over stuff, and guitar used to be one, but no longer. do miss it on occasion though, such as today.

maybe i'll do another cover one day and it actually be decent and in tune ? just to stir things up a bit. ;-)

So when was the last time you played?

I tend to never really get over guitar. The only thing that would if I were to invest all my time and money in a band and if the venture failed, that would make me quit, but it's unlikely I'll do that anyway. You still skate a lot right though? Skating was one of my obsessions, but after realizing I'd never be a pro, and that my ankle was kinda fucked and the insane amount of bruises on my legs looked weird, I kinda gave up lol and just use it to get exercise, say when I want to go up to the shop and get beer lol.

I can't even 360 flip anymore, it's depressing and my kickflips are beginner kick flips that barely leave the ground now : \

But yes, horribly off topic now.

"maybe i'll do another cover one day and it actually be decent and in tune ? just to stir things up a bit"

I like the idea of this:mrgreen:

i don't think i'd be able to tell you, but chances are pushing 3 months ? maybe a little more, and even then it wasn't really a sit-down-and-play-this-seriously thing, just a quick go over my favourite songs. i'm predominantly a classical musician if i give myself a lable, so that would be another reason why i never really focus on guitar... i play the music i love, which is not necessarily technical or difficult, just fun. and not often enough.

yeah i still skate, skating is my passion if you will, to sound cheesey haha ! to push the cheese even more i'd be close to saying skating is my life... it's just what i do, these days, and that along with work, school, boyfriend etc... i just run out of time at the end of the day. stoked that you used to skate though, nice one.

but yeah ! on topic haha, i'll do that, you've inspired me haha. off to re-string my guitar.

i don't think i'd be able to tell you, but chances are pushing 3 months ? maybe a little more, and even then it wasn't really a sit-down-and-play-this-seriously thing, just a quick go over my favourite songs. i'm predominantly a classical musician if i give myself a lable, so that would be another reason why i never really focus on guitar... i play the music i love, which is not necessarily technical or difficult, just fun. and not often enough.

yeah i still skate, skating is my passion if you will, to sound cheesey haha ! to push the cheese even more i'd be close to saying skating is my life... it's just what i do, these days, and that along with work, school, boyfriend etc... i just run out of time at the end of the day. stoked that you used to skate though, nice one.

but yeah ! on topic haha, i'll do that, you've inspired me haha. off to re-string my guitar.

Classical musician? I'm confused. As in you generally fuck around on an acoustic guitar, you have another instrument you have classical training on or what? Just seems weird, since classical musicians have insane dedication to their instruments and you hadn't played in ages:p

Im feeling pretty inspired to put some more covers up now...

Heres one i posted a while ago, may aswell post it again, yeah i could have done it better, but hey, playing infornt of a camera is hard!

Good stuff man, good performance and nice solo too. You've inspired me to give Misery Business a shot too.

Classical musician? I'm confused. As in you generally fuck around on an acoustic guitar, you have another instrument you have classical training on or what? Just seems weird, since classical musicians have insane dedication to their instruments and you hadn't played in ages:p

guitar is no where near my "first" instrument haha... over 2 thirds of my life have been spent playing clarinet and piano, yesiree, i'm so hardcore.

Hehe, Jorgi and Pekka with their classical instrument thing make me feel like a n00b.

Nice cover too btw Jorgi, looks like you're getting back into the swing of things with guitar playing.

cheers! Im gonna do "let the flames begin" and "only exception" covers next, the later which is just gonna be me doing some blue's soloing over it!

I'm a fairly bluesy player myself too, more so than most kids these days anyway. Look forward to hearing/seeing those covers.

• 2 weeks later...

Jordan, I checked out your band's song on Youtube. The solo was absolutely amazing, and I really liked the singer's voice, but the production was a bit too messy for my liking. I couldn't hear what the guitars were playing and that made the changes in drum beats sound really weird. It'll be h00ge once you guys get into a proper studio.

I'd like to cover something new now, but I don't what. Is it my turn, yet? Nooo, it's Harry's turn! Post up! >:o

Cheers man! Aye the production is shady, but it was our first ever recording as a band! It has been re-recorded and sounds alot better, but still not real studio quality, ill upload it if i find it!

In other news, that covers i intended to put up arent gonna be up for a while, due to me tearing a ligament in my left arm! Sucks!