The Covers Thread

Jorgi

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Jordan, you played it well but you had some unnecessary movement going on. I can tell you're an experienced player, but have you played a lot less lately or something?

Another thing: I would change the chords beneath the "misguided ghosts" part to just playing the roots and the thirds to keep the "gentle" atmosphere up. You might not know what I mean but I'll show it later

And this is me and Opeth's Benighted.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=20p8tup&s=4

Yup, I compressed it brutally so that I wouldn't have to upload it for hours. And the song has some skips but I couldn't be bothered to rip the song again, I just tried to follow. :P

I third the notion about Katie's video.

Generally quite well played and I enjoyed, but you've got work to do on economy of motion on the left hand.

And Pekka, you learnt that in about 30 minutes or less I guess? :mrgreen:

That kinda shit would take me days to learn, acoustic guitar n00b I am.

That was was a badass performance, seriously. There may have been a few errors here and there, but fuck it, that was kick ass bro.

Nice nuances and subtleties going on, got some majorly awesome feel going on there.

I'd say that's probably the best cover you've done to date.

Thank you! Nah, I've actually been learning it on and off for two years or something. Åkerfeldt has a fascination for really long riffs and that's why I never managed to learn the whole song at once. :)

Well that's awesome if you enjoyed the sound because a whole lot of it was lost in the recording process. There's a Rode NT2-A to the left of the screen so the sound is far from ideal...I've been blessed with an awesome guitar for this stuff, though.

• 2 weeks later...
its not a cover, just me playing misguided ghosts. but failing in the end and stopping. lol

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=o8aszp&s=4

oh snaapppppp. haha very good katie

now i just have to manage to get my mom to take me to the guitar store so i can trade in my bass for an acoustic

Erotomania cover? EROTOMANIA COVER?

I'll admit it, I'm definitely NOT down for a Dream Theater cover. Not even a guitar solo, let alone a whole goddamn fucking song, I suck too much for that.

I used to be able to play the guitar solo from Pull Me Under and I could re learn it obviously, but there is pretty much no point of me doing it for a youtube cover, because you can watch 15 000 other people do it. That solo is child's play, technique wise, compared to much of his other stuff anyway and I'm a legato dude anyway so the legato patterns in that solo are piss easy for me compared to his alt picked stuff.

If either of you guys, Pekka or Jordan, can actually alternate pick that well, major props, because my alternate picking isn't at that level to be able to play Petrucci's fast stuff. A lot of his fast solos are around 14/15 notes per second, and I top out at about 12 notes per second clean these days since I don't practice alt picking enough.

I will say, I think one of the most technical Petrucci solos is actually The Spirit Carries On, because not only is there madness alternate picking towards the end of it, but being able to nail all the picking nuances and phrasing is gonna be a massive bitch.

For straight line speed, I haven't really bothered listening to the new album because I hate it to be honest, but that alt picking lick at the end of the Constant Motion solo is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not expecting The Glass Prison arpeggios from either of you, but hey, prove me wrong:lol: I think I'd come close to shitty my pants if either of you guys could play that, seriously, because that shit is WELL beyond my alt picking capabilities.

Yeah just listened to erotomania for the first time, Im not gonna pull that one off :rotfl: I was thinking of doing something like Glasgow Kiss actualy, or Forsaken, im not gonna pretend to be very good at alternate picking, because im not :rotfl: infact i dont consider myself that fast a guitarist, mainly because fast pointless stuff bores me, hell even that solo in erotomania, as amazingly face melting as it is, i dont enjoy listening to it, I doubt the likes of Hendrix or Clapton could pull that off, but i rate them as better guitar players than petrucci!

Anyhoo, Pekka you know i said we re-recorded that song? Well ive uploaded it if you want a listen, again its not been recorded in a studio, just a home recording, but alot more times been spent mixing it etc, so it sounds nicer i suppose!

http://www.mediafire.com/?3kiynnndhzz

Yeah, it sounds nicer, but if I must be blatantly honest, not liking the sound of the drums much at all. It's like someone through a blanket over the drum kit and then recorded it.

I'd remix it for you, but I wouldn't do audio engineering jobs for free either , so you probably wouldn't take me up on the offer, but I could quite easily get it sounding better than that if I'm provided with the correct raw files.

Also, Glasgow Kiss is a really fucking hard song to play. If you intend to play the whole thing, if you can't alternate pick well it's not even gonna be possible. I'm guessing you meant the "guitar solo" in the middle of the song right?

I tend to not really consider "fast stuff" to be pointless, since there is a lot of emotions you can't express without it. I don't think say, Lost Without You (of course, another song off Suspended Animation) would have the same effect had Petrucci not used that quick fast lick at about 4:20 in the song. It's a nice tension and release type lick.

I can agree many guitarists do over use speed in their soloing, but a lot don't either IMO.

For all my sweep picking and two handed tapping, I'm still somewhat of a blue rock style soloist though. I tend to think I'm as much influenced by Hendrix, Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn as I am Joe Satriani and Paul Gilbert.

I tend to think Satriani is a pretty tasteful player anyway, and his command of the blues is pretty stunning, there are so called blues players that can't even play the blues anywhere near as well as him.

Most shred guitarist/instrumentalist guys I can't even listen to because it's just too much, but Satch seems to vary it up a lot in the different moods, and puts more importance in the nice slower melodic vocal style lines than many other guitarists do.

Glasgow Kiss isnt that hard id say, i can play it all the way though pretty confidently, theres alot of string skipping in it which im good at, i suppose i should have said, im alright at alternate picking, but cant do it at the extreme speeds as some guitarists!

Yeah the drums were a bit of a nightmare to record really, but were going into a studio early next year to get it properly recorded!

And yeah, paul gilbert, my favourite guitarist actualy, i just think the guys got it all, tastefull, fast, melodic, and from the videos ive seen, just a great modest guy!

Your band's song sounded better now, but there were some parts where the drum beat changed without any fills or anything and it sounded REALLY awkward. The song itself...no complaints about that. Do you have any other songs recorded?

Glasgow Kiss is... complex. It sounds like I could play it, not as cleanly and fluidly as Petrucci, but no way in hell I'm going to learn those solos note-to-note, so props for you for just doing that! :rotfl:

Your band's song sounded better now, but there were some parts where the drum beat changed without any fills or anything and it sounded REALLY awkward. The song itself...no complaints about that. Do you have any other songs recorded?

Glasgow Kiss is... complex. It sounds like I could play it, not as cleanly and fluidly as Petrucci, but no way in hell I'm going to learn those solos note-to-note, so props for you for just doing that! :rotfl:

You can blame the guy who mixed it for that, he got some drum sampler programme and fucked around alot with it, infact theres a bit in the song which would actualy be physically impossible to play :rotfl:

Yeah we do actualy, on our myspace, we really need to get a good layout/pics etc and start promoting ourselves a bit, but we cant be fucked :rotfl:

http://www.myspace.com/onenightstandkeith

And yeah glasgow kiss, the only bits i cant do are the really fast speed picking runs at the end of the song, the rest i would say really isnt as hard as it sounds

What does it say about me that I didn't even hear it was a drum machine in action? :willy_nilly:

I still look up a Paul Gilbert -guitar lesson from Youtube every now and then and start to learn it simply because he is technically about as amazing as you can get. I wonder if he gives guitar lessons...

Okay, so I started to pick up Misguided Ghosts by ear after noticing that the existing tabs left much to be wanted...I wanted to preserve both guitar parts and the warm sound of the lower strings and upper frets as much as possible so I reworked a couple of parts and even switched the bass note (:shifty:) in one occasion, and I'm quite happy how it turned out. If you have any comments about the arrangement or something that you would have done differently, speak up!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ptuxw4&s=6

Ive always been tempted to learn classical guitar, never gotten round to it though, i will one day.

And yeah I do, well not much of a cover really, but pretty much soloing over "only exception" stealing from some of hayleys melody lines, i love songs like that, in an easy key and got a good vibe going to solo over!

Classical guitar is a fucking beast to learn if you go beyond just the "fingerstyle" playing. Stuff like Bach's fugues sometimes have 3 melody lines going at the same time and it takes some concentration to get all of them to sound like they are supposed to. :rotfl: Then you can imitate different instruments like violins, cellos and horns by different finger strokes at various places on the strings! When you do all of that on an acoustic instrument, with your own fingers...well, it's rewarding. :)

B major isn't it? Maybe not the best key for soloing stuff, but a good one nonetheless! And yeah, the song only has 3 chords so it's a lot of fun to solo over. :) I've done that quite a bit as well.