The Covers Thread

Jorgi

Man that was a nice cover! The whole seven string thing really gave a different edge to the song that I really liked, the solo was pretty good to and loved the fast lick at the end. Only thing I didnt like was the verse lick you did in the second verse, It just sounded, well wrong, but it was just a minor thing, all in all great cover!

Thanks dude.

Yeah, admittedly I was kinda lost as to what to do and that licked wasn't exactly planned, so I figured it was better to just play something in the key signature on the spur of the moment than any random notes:p

It was unfortunate that my mind slipped at that moment, but it happens as we all know, and it just happened that lick was in that particular take which was the best of the ones I did that day, so I just posted it anyway.

Nicely done Harry,i really like the sound and it sounds really cool on 7 strings guitar and also i noticed you added something in solo part right, that was awsome :)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you said makes sense Pekka.

I guess for me, it's weird to hear the song played that way because I've been a fan of RATM for about, 9 years now or so and for at least 2 years they were my favorite band ever, so I've heard the songs fuck knows how many times you can imagine:lol:

Yeah, I'm down for MSN, if you actually log on, muthafucker:rotfl:

Admittedly, I've been busy lately anyway, with social life, more guitar playing than usual and what not, so I can't be sitting there on MSN all night long.

When it's about 9pm for me, I notice sometimes you're online. I think that's like, what, midday for you or something? But you never go on MSN then, argh.

I should be free at those times for the next few days, so if you're free around Finnish midday, log on bitch and we shall chat, even if just for an hour or so.

Yeah I don't even know what the fuck Harry and SalcaC are talking about at this point, Hell their first replies baffled me. This is what it means to be at their level I suppose :P

I'll be...y'know over there practicing somewhere as I admire you both at a distance.

What I want to know is:

1. Would you agree that at times perhaps that rhythm tone gets slightly honky in the mid range? It might not matter to 99 per cent of people, but that kinda shit makes me cringe and it's important to know if anyone agrees that specifically in the single note intro riff (that gets repeated obviously) it sounds a bit weird in the mid range.

sick cover, bro.

i actually have to say that the midrange/single note stuff was what sounded the best, to my pathetic untrained ears... i loved the tone of the intro riff and your solo, and then the end chorus, but wasn't too crazy about the verses. the verses just sounded ...too... i don't know, murky? which i can't tell is the work of the camera you're recording with or how it actually is, but i'm not crazy it about it, ain't gonna lie.

but i am crazy about that solo.

Yeah, I can kinda get what you're saying about the tone Jorgi. As I said on the previous page, I don't get overly obsessed with tonal perfection in these youtube cover things. There's a lot of things to compromise on in this kind of environment.

I wasn't willing to spend all day just making such minor tweak to things just to get it perfect, because as it is, I am borderline OCD and have anxiety and fucked if I am going to make my shit worse because I am getting too obsessed over someone.

It's been hard for me, because I'm the sorta guy that usually strives for way too much perfection and often fails and then I just frustrated at myself, swear at myself and just all manner of angry shit, so I've had to learn to let go of being so anal over these small details and just move on and get on with the damn thing.

One thing I should mention is that I literally do not have a guitar amp at all. My "amp" that I was using was a studio monitor speaker. Using my Line 6 POD X3 Live means it sounds a lot better than pretty much all analog solid state practice amps, but there is only so much a studio monitor can do for amplifying for a guitar and it's hardly the ideal way to do it, but it's the only way I can for now.

In the room, the rhythm guitar sounded not bad at all, but obviously it didn't come across so well and maybe a little muddy/flubby to some ears. Of course some more tweaking of the POD settings would have helped, but a lot of it is to do with the camera I think, because there is definitely nothing wrong with the guitar, as it has very clear and fairly bright sounding pickups I had installed that are suited to modern rock/metal.

Now having these criticisms in mind, hopefully my future covers can sound a bit better.

• 2 weeks later...

i really want to learn a new song but i'm so uninspired.

someone suggest one thats catchy (none of your techno/thrash/prog-guitar mumbo harry/pekka!) and like, a challenge but playable, like funeral for a friend in the Hours era ?

i have exams and interviews coming up which i need to prepare for, so blatently this calls for some new covers :shifty:

What about streetcar or recovery? Theyve got pretty good riffs in them, not really that easy either!

done recovery ! i'll have a looksy at streetcar though, i think i got put off because it was a tad repetitive ? dunnae i'll investigate :)

Hmm, does it have to be a song you already know? Because I have no idea what bands you'd like to play. I can suggest a few songs from my own "taste", though. :)

no not at all, i don't have to already know it, my only requirement is that it's catchy - as in, the guitar isn't good for the sake of being good guitar playing, but good as in fun and sounds good, y'know ?

Hey hey, fuck, I happen to find A LOT of the music I listen to as rather catchy thank you very much. It may not be a traditional kind of "Melodic vocal hooks and guitars" kind of catchy, but it's still catchy nonetheless.

@Pekka: I used to totally hate MCR because most of the fan base I'd met in real life were complete fucking twats, so I actually used to just hate the band before I actually ever heard them.

That song you posted was pretty good actually:)

Also, "Vicarious" is super fucking fun to play. I used to play that about 2 years ago now. Tool is a great band for keeping those rhythm chops in shape.

There's also plenty more awesome riffs on that album, especially on "Rosetta Stoned". Some good ones that get you working on changing time signatures.

Edit : also you have yet to comment on my Miz Biz cover dude. Tell what work, tell me what didn't and tell me what sucked about it.

The more I've been watching it, and it's probably because it's my own cover, but I hear more and more things I don't like about it:(

Porcupine Tree - Shallow

[/Quote]

do like the sound of those two ! love a bit of porcupine tree it has to be said, cheers for that i'll have a go

Hey hey, fuck, I happen to find A LOT of the music I listen to as rather catchy thank you very much. It may not be a traditional kind of "Melodic vocal hooks and guitars" kind of catchy, but it's still catchy nonetheless.

Chill, darling, it's all in the different tastes and let's face is, my tastes differ from yours !

One thing that jumped at me about your Misery Business, Harry, was the gallops (or whatever they were), for which you changed your picking technique radically. Are you really unable to do them like you did the verse riff earlier with the accented notes on snare hits (which was really cool and something Josh should take notes of). I would guess that your inability to play Battery is because of the tension (at least it looks like that) that builds up with your current technique for gallops.

The part of the solo where you mimic the vocal melody (with the bend) sounded a bit weird, like, sort of honky or wonky or I don't even know what. It could be due to the tone of the guitar, but I don't know. Tell me if you even know what I mean. I also felt like the transition from the trills to the very last part (the quote of the original solo) could've been a bit smoother.

The overall guitar tone is hard to judge, it sounded really murky at times, and also a bit honky with that main riff that you specifically asked about, but I think it fit well within the context of a cover where I'm supposed to hear your guitar parts well.

I don't think I heard any actual mistakes there, so what you played, you played well. The faster weedlies were articulated well and overall you looked and sounded like you were on top of the situation. It was fun to watch. :)

I think I'm still suffering from the camera nervousness thing to be honest. Before Crushcrush I had literally never done one of those video covers before, so I'm probably still at that stage where I just feel edgy and over think stuff to much to the point where I lost a bit of focus.

Seriously, I can play Esoteric Surgery by Gojira pretty much fine, including the gallops 90 per cent of the time, but obviously that's not under an environment where I have to feel nervous. So it does still surprise me I fucked up the gallops during the last set of them, because while extended periods of down picking kills me, I normally am actually pretty good at galloping riffs.

The first half of the solo didn't come out as well as I hoped to be honest. Not terrible, but could have been better.

Ah, I see what you mean about the transition to the last part of the solo (the quote, as you say). I didn't really notice it until you pointed it out.

I felt it was a good idea to include that last part instead of having my own totally from scratch solo, kinda gives the listener something to feel familiar with.

I do feel nothing about my solo was over the top, just kind of right, I think it was well written although that wasn't the best performance of it though, but I guess you could imagine it played as I would have intended.

I did, as I've said earlier, write various solos for the song, some of which incorporated all these hilariously over the top legato runs, two handed tapping and alternate picking, but for the sake of not being a pretentious wanker I was not going to commit that kind of stuff to film, but hey if someone wants to come over my house one day and watch me play my other alternate solos, feel free:p

As for the tone, yes, indeed a little murky. This is quite a small room I'm in, which causes all sorts of low end buildup and in all likely hood, comb filtering, which is not helping out the quest for epically good tone. Even the way I placed my studio monitor, fairly close to the camera's mic, it's inevitable the room's inherent poor acoustic properties are going to effect the tone and make it's way into the camera mic.

Edit : Well I just bought new picks and suddenly my picking just became more accurate again. I didn't realize how worn out my old picks were, which was part of the reason why my picking has been sloppy. Certainly didn't help in the Misery Business cover gallops.

Chickened out of my pressure cover, just sounded awful, playing was alright, but the tone, urgh, i might have only had it for slightly over a week but i c ant go back to my marshall 100dfx after playing my laney :rotfl:

On that though i will get something up soon, this musician bit of the forum seems pretty active right now and i think thats something we should keep up!

• 1 month later...