The Covers Thread

Jorgi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't shoot me if this is shit lol :') it's my first cover, and it's a pretty easy song and i was shitting myself. i dunno why i'm like that, i'm quite shy.

Underdog (Acoustic)

View My Video

shit. i look like an ape playing guitar with insane facial expressions.

okay. crushcrushcrushcrush acoustic cover. i filmed it a while ago. it's on my old acoustic.

cause i worked this out by ear, and in standard tuning, some parts arn't right, espthe ending and the part between the first chorus and second verse. but please don't eat me. shit camera quality aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOUBsd3RLs

and i did the misery business solo, just as a little experiment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZitPRBS2Ees

okay. crushcrushcrushcrush acoustic cover. i filmed it a while ago. it's on my old acoustic.

cause i worked this out by ear, and in standard tuning, some parts arn't right, espthe ending and the part between the first chorus and second verse. but please don't eat me. shit camera quality aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DOUBsd3RLs

I can help you out by saying that there's no C major chord in crushx3 :)(the barre chord you're playing from the eighth fret). You've worked it out by ear pretty well, but switch C major to C minor and you have it sounding like it's supposed to! (the song's key is, after all, C minor (or C# minor in the studio version)) You're right about "the part between the first chorus and second verse", the very last chord that you seem to have trouble working out (that you skipped over totally), is actually a C5 chord with B on the bass, or B5+, played

or, if you want to extend it,

7 (first inversion of the dominant for the theory geeks, amazing trick that's made its way to hundreds of radio hits.)

Trivia: My theory teacher called a G#, A#, C progression, with all major chords, a "Eurovision ending". I guess it's because the last chord is supposed to be a minor chord, but switching it to a major chord sounds super happy. :mrgreen:

I can help you out by saying that there's no C major chord in crushx3 :)(the barre chord you're playing from the eighth fret). You've worked it out by ear pretty well, but switch C major to C minor and you have it sounding like it's supposed to! (the song's key is, after all, C minor (or C# minor in the studio version)) You're right about "the part between the first chorus and second verse", the very last chord that you seem to have trouble working out (that you skipped over totally), is actually a C5 chord with B on the bass, or B5+,played

or, if you want to extend it,

8 (first inversion of the dominant for the theory geeks, amazing trick that's made its way to hundreds of radio hits.)

Trivia: My theory teacher called a G#, A#, C progression, with all major chords, a "Eurovision ending". I guess it's because the last chord is supposed to be a minor chord, but switching it to a major chord sounds super happy. :mrgreen:

ah! thanks for your help :] i shall change it next time i play it.

I can't be arsed to start nitpicking, that was a fun listen. :) I'm curious, though, how are you playing the chords?

I can think of two Move away and Tranquilize but i am not sure how will they sound acustic :)

Yeah, they have a soundworld of their own, not really suitable for acoustic guitar me thinks.

I can't be arsed to start nitpicking, that was a fun listen. :) I'm curious, though, how are you playing the chords?

capo fourth fret, and then just playing G, Dm, C. until the bridge then it goes to Am, D, G and then the end is F, C, G I think. i can never figure out how paramore actually play it, but it sounds pretty much the same :)

^Pretty cool.

But I must say whenever I hear piano covers of pretty much any vocal rock song, I can't help but think it never ever manages to get even close to the emotion of the original performance.

I just don't really think pianos can really convey the emotion of a good vocalist. Nothing to do with the pianist themselves, it's just because of inherent limitations in the instrument itself really

• 2 weeks later...