Orianthi

JJ Riot

• 5 months later...

I feel absolutely disgusted and ashamed, but I fucking love her music.

I'm actually glad she's doing this rather than taking the instrumental guitar path, because that shit has been so overdone it's not funny, so it's good she's doing something fresh and new (combining pop rock with ridiculous guitar chops that makes pretty much most pop rock guitarists look like they have been playing for 2 days in comparison).

I really wouldn't say she's one the best guitarist out there, that's going a bit far me thinks, it's not like she invented virtuoso electric guitar playing (all the guitars that pioneered that stuff are now into their 50s).

She does however, manage to combine guitar virtuosity with disgustingly catchy songs that I find myself able to listen to quite a lot.

Ignoring the guitar virtuoso aspect of it which makes it less commercial, the song "According to You" is probably the single most pop candy song I enjoy.

Part of me feels ashamed to utterly love that song, but hopefully I can learn to stop feeling so down on myself for liking it:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

She's in the new issue of Guitarist magazine, she's an amazing guitarist. When I say amazing, I mean amazing for a female which I know sounds sexist, but most females pick up bass and the ones who do play guitar don't play lead like she does.

She supported Steve Vai, and has jammed with Prince and Santana. She was going to be Michael Jackson's guitarist for his 50 date tour he was going to do. Also apparently been playing since she was 6 years old (she's 24).

Vocally her music is pop, which I don't usually listen to, and I'm tempted to hit the stop button but then the guitar solos come in and I keep listening :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

Gave "According to you" a proper listen today. She's quite the guitarist, You don't see a talent like that every day in a female (GiRL PWR). The song is catchy, It really is but don't like the lyrics too much. She has a real good voice too! :D

I hate to be "that guy" but her guitar doesn't suit well with the song. She needs to find a more appropriate place to put em solo's. It's distracting me, Because all I say is "Oh shit she's good" and then I abandon the sentiment of the song-not to mention the acoustic ending is totally unpredictable not in a good way.

But she does have talent, And she's a good singer and she's a good looker. Whether I like it or not, She'll be doing much more things than I could ever do!

Chris, She actually used to tour with Steve Vai (opened for him many times ), which you can imagine is a much more suitable environment for virtuoso guitar playing.

Unfortunately instrumental rock guitar doesn't really pay the bills unless you're Steve Vai or Joe Satriani (who have been in the instrumental rock guitar game since the 80s and have obviously a big, loyal fan base which allows them to keep doing what they do), ALTHOUGH Satriani did join Chickenfoot mainly playing rhythm stuff, so maybe the instrumental stuff wasn't totally paying the bills for him either.

It's a sad reality that guys with that level of talent have to do it rough, but that's just the way it is, you gotta suffer for your art when you're at that kind of level of virtuosity on your instrument.

I also agree with you, the lyrics SUCKKKKKKKKKK. But eh, they are also catchy, as cheesy and cliche as they are, so they serve their purpose I suppose.

Hell, as someone said on Sevenstring.org, Orianthi could quit playing pop music, take up female modeling, and then she'd have the cash to put out instrumental records that show her proper guitar playing talent.

Although too bad I actually don't really care for instrumental guitar records anymore, apart from my Satriani live DVDs. Apart from Satch, I find most instrumental virtuoso guitarists to just play WAY too many guitar solos and it just gets to be too much to listen to and just quite overwhelming.

I went through my virtuoso guitar player listening phase a few years ago, but these days I'm more into riff driven stuff (I guess, hence liking Paramore now too, heh, and also a lot of metal that revolves around riffs far more than guitar soloing)

Oh yes of course, To even share the same song with Vai live would be an honor. I can recognize his skill and his credibility but I'm not too interesting in like..you know some average joe looking guy shredding and doing all sorts of techniques on stage. Not just Vai but others, Like Satriani, That one kinda fat guy that died I think and like stevie ray vaughn shit like that I can't stand it.

I liked those kind of DVD's for like maybe a week or so when I was at the nose front of my guitar playing but now a days it's like you said, riff driven songs. It's really what I care about most. Just not a fan is all, Although I will say I do enjoy Buckethead. Not because he was in GNR but because he does dances, nun chucks(yeah, thats right) and he's very gimmicky and it just interesting. but he's been boring now a days too along with bumb.l.foot

lol yeah she could do modelling. she's got the body for it that's for sure, But I don't know man...I kinda feel estranged with her y'know..soloing with her physical expression as to how she's playing. just doesn't seem right. I'm sure it's likewise for you? lol

idk know man, whenever I get the chance I'll get her album. just because she plays a real mean guitar and sings well.

That "fat guy" (LOL!) is Shawn Lane. Dude was a genius, not in my lifetime will I ever be able to play like that. But again, nothing I really listen to for extended periods of time, except for a few of his piano pieces which are rad.

Buckethead is freaking awesome. Contrary to his whole "Shredder guy" image, a lot of his albums have fucking awesome riffs on them. I've only got some of his albums going back to 2006, but they are pretty much riff driven material, rather than soloing, and just full of cool compositions.

Because of that bastard and Tom Morello, all the cool riffs are taken:( and every time I write a riff, it feels like it's been done before lol

Shit you and me both dude. Each time I make a song on the guitar I know for a fact that it's been done before and when I play my songs someone always goes "Oh I LOVE that song!"

Oh Buckethead is definitely cool :P John 5 I actually enjoyed John 5. Damaged, Perfect blend of awesome righteous riffs and mad solo's. You'll dig it, Unless you've already listened to it.

Well leave it to us to drift off path eh aha, Oh and good! I knew you were reliable that way.

Anyway, I haven't seen According To You that much these days, It's barely on on videoflow. Again I'll be sure to check out more material.

• 2 months later...