• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Jorgi

Jorgi

make me unstoppable.

• 7,530 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

srsly. ouchies.

i'm pearly like the white-whi-whites of your eyes.

tumblr - twitter - flickr - guitar covers - myspace - facebook - skating

#42 Harry

Harry

 

• 5,393 posts
  • Locationfaggottown

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

Ahhh I love odd time signatures and stuff to do with rhythms actually:p
It's obviously not the biggest bag of fun studying it on paper, but I think writing music in odd time signatures and/or with polyrhythms and polymeters can be super fun.
Some of the most grooving shit I've ever heard is based heavily around polymeters (Pekka will know what I'm talking about:p) and I just love how it grooves in a way that most stuff can't

#43 Jorgi

Jorgi

make me unstoppable.

• 7,530 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

yuuuck no give me 4/4 any day !

#44 SalsaC

SalsaC

- -

• 2,647 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

Lucky me for not working with woodwinds, they are like the British people who insist on driving on the left side of the road... sort of. That was a good explanation, though :D I feel slightly better about myself now because I remember playing a grade 8 piece back at the conservatory but I didn't know what it meant at the time. :willy_nilly: I don't have any degrees on guitar or theory, though, and I'm willing to guess that I would phail grade 5 epically since I'm not really comfortable with everything that it contains (chord inversions and compound intervals slay my ears), even if I've practiced that stuff and I'm kinda familiar with it. (Treble clef being G, and alto and tenor C, aye? No bass clef (F) at all?)

The one difference to the Finnish system seems to be that the theory classes over here include ear training where you are played melodies and different rhythms and you're supposed to write them down. We never had to compose own stuff, though, but who knows, that might be just because I didn't study for long enough.

#45 Jorgi

Jorgi

make me unstoppable.

• 7,530 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Haha woodwind and britain = <3
but associated board have the same examination system for piano, brass and strings :wink: although there is another examination board called trinity which don't do the same. you can still take theory exams on Trinity but i don't think it's necessary - but it's a less recognised certificate than associated board (apparently) so i'll deal. not that i plan to ever get into the professional classical music industry... ever.

yeah i don't remember "ear training" for the actual theory exam so i'm going to assume that's not part of it, but i did have to do it for GCSE music so i can still do it. Like, i prefer that kind of stuff, you know, the stuff that makes sense :P i'm too mainstream, and i'm not even ashamed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq