Is Paramore Your Favourite Band?

EasyTarget

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have one definitive favorite band really, it changes.

I've only been a Paramore fan for about 3 months now, for some of that time they were my favorite band.

But honestly I'm more of a metalhead at heart and on most given days I'd say a particular metal band is my favorite.

I'd definitely say Paramore will be a lasting thing for me, something I'll still enjoy in 10 and even more years time.

Hmmm, 4 years later and people are still listening to AWKIF?

Suggests to me it's hardly throw-away pop crap.

In my last FM list, I've got virtually no pop in there. Why? Because I believe that a lot of it is extremely shallow, superficial music that's made so people can buy it, and 2 weeks later it will collect dust and they wont bother listening to it again when it's not in the top 10 in the music charts.

I've got heaps of stuff that has either stood the test of time, or will definitely stand the test of time in my last FM list because it's music with true emotional content and value.

Despite me being fairly averse to a lot of pop music (not because I'm closed minded, I did open up my mind and grew up from my metalhead elitist days of shunning all pop music and actually gave a lot of it a chance but the fact is I just didn't like 85 per cent of it even after really giving it a good shot) when I heard Paramore I was really blown away.

I honestly expected a throwaway pop garbage type band, but instead I got a band that cares for the compositions they write, a band that's truly committed to what they do (if they weren't I doubt Hayley would have bothered getting singing lessons so she could perfect her art and improve as a musician) and a band with quite good musicianship that proves they really are about their craft and music.

Being able to do what they do, go into a studio and double vocal lines/harmonize them, be able to double track your guitar parts with amazing accuracy, that's not easy shit to pull off and certainly isn't possibly if you're a lazy fucking slob with no commitment and will to practice and no love and passion for what you do. Lazy slobs they ain't.

Go through your own list of music and see what is innovative and what isn't.

You'll find most music isn't as terrible innovative as you think.

After all, we are all bound to the same 12 notes in Western music and there is only so many musical scales possible and only so many harmonies possible, it isn't really possible to come up with a riff that sounds like nothing before, simply because we only have 12 notes and they've most probably been used in that fashion in an earlier time in history (be it 5 years ago, or 400 or sheesh even more).

I mean, think about, lets look at some of the most innovative musicians/bands of all time:

Frederic Chopin (master Romantic era pianist): While yes he developed a new level of virtuosity for solo piano, was everyone he did ALL new?

Of course not, he was still essentially using the same notes as JS Bach or Vivaldi before him.

Black Sabbath, essentially the inventors of heavy metal (arguably).

Not everything they did was totally brand new. What they did was take from the styles that influenced them (blues rock, hard rock and elements of jazz) and then somewhat added their own style to the proceedings, but the blues rock, jazz and hard rock elements were still there weren't they?

Okay, so you're gonna tell, but unlike the aforementioned, Paramore isn't really innovative at all, and you know what? I'd be inclined to agree.

But I'm hardly going to rag on the band for not being the first pop rock/alt rock for not using polytonality or 12 tone serialism, because that would just be ridiculous quite frankly.

Yes, I appreciate and respect innovation, but at the end of the day, aren't we just looking for music that emotes to us? Innovative or not, good music is good music, and clearly you're here because you like the band and presumably like their music, right?

If AWKIF has survived 4 years and people still want to regularly listen to it, I can guarantee it's gonna stand the test of time as something with real substance and emotional value.

You do know I was talking about Boys Like Girls, right?

a simple YES is all that's needed from me.

always have been my favorite since the beginning.

other bands on certain days have been very very close to knocking them off that number 1 spot, but then i just put on a paramore song or video and they always prevail.

:D

(idk, there's just something about paramore that keeps me wanting to say they're my favorite band.)

a simple YES is all that's needed from me.

always have been my favorite since the beginning.

other bands on certain days have been very very close to knocking them off that number 1 spot, but then i just put on a paramore song or video and they always prevail.

:D

(idk, there's just something about paramore that keeps me wanting to say they're my favorite band.)

So you've only been listening to music for the last 4 years?;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, no they're not. But I wouldn't say that I have an all time favorite artist or band. Although I would say that Spencer Krug is a freaking genius. But in its category, I would say that Paramore is the favorite.

I both like Depeche Mode and The Strokes but the compare them, would be to compare apples with bananas. Therefore it is also difficult to pick a favorite, as my mood always changes, for instance if I'm in a shit mood I prefer to listen to Modest Mouse. They are my shit mood favorite. Am in a happy mood something like Vampire Weekend is great.