1 member has voted

1. 1. Will You Download the leak?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the fact that downloaded music is horrible quality.

Not all the time.

256, 320, or V0 is perfectly fine. When you buy a physical CD, you most likely rip it in 256 or 320 on your iTunes anyways.

I have what.cd and you can even download FLAC (which is lossless)

Also, the second point in bold isn't really true if you know the right places to look.;-)

Haha, the best we have here (my schools intranet) is usually 320kbps, when I rip cds I usually do it at about 480.

I have what.cd and you can even download FLAC (which is lossless)

I know what FLAC is lol. I see no point in keeping my music in FLAC format on my computer seeing as how the size to quality ratio is pointless when you're playing it through computer speakers, even though I have 5.1 surround sound on my computer the difference still isn't big enough to warrant the extra space.

It's still illegal, whether or not you're pre-ordered it.

actually, it's not illegal for those who've pre-ordered. this is because they have already paid for the content in question, thus owning a copy of it (whether or not they have received it yet isn't part of the equation - they've purchased it). by downloading music on the internet, you are claiming that you own what you download, and in this case the pre-order people are at no fault. that's how p2p programs can be allowed to be distributed: they, in addition to claiming that they do not host the files being sent, always have some sort of disclaimer like those on torrent sites that say something like: "These BitTorrent files are meant for the distribution of backup files. By downloading the BitTorrent file, you are claiming that you own the original file. The administrator of this site (http://what.cd) holds NO RESPONSIBILITY if these files are misused in any way and cannot be held responsible for what its users post, or any other actions of it."

The only thing I don't agree with is this: you're saying that downloading the album from a torrent site is okay if you already bought the preorder. BUT if I go to the store, and tell them I already own the album, they're not going to give me another copy for free. They'd make me buy another one because, as with anything, you pay per copy, so you are still screwing the band out of money that should be going toward recouping their recording costs.

The band may not be making a lot of money off the album sales, but a lot of the money made goes to pay back the loan that was given by the label to the band so that they could record that album. If they don't make that back, they owe the label and can even be dropped from their contract. So next time you say, "Oh, well the band doesn't make that much money from album sales," please think again.

As far as I know, downloading hasn't been made illegal over here, so there goes the potential moral dilemmas. \o/ And what comes to "pay per copy"... if I borrow a record from the library, I'm allowed to rip it for myself AND burn copies of it for "a small circle of acquaintances". Straight out of the Finnish law. The libraries are paying royalties for every borrowed record, but not for every burned copy of it. It's a sketchy law, but I'm down with that.

Besides, what difference will it make if I a) rip the CD to my computer or B) download the digital copy without paying, if I buy the CD anyway? Both scenarios end up with the label/band receiving the same amount of money from me. Isn't it a bit too much if I should pay for it 3 times just to have it on my iPod, on my computer and in my car? Of course I'm not expecting the store to give me additional copies for free since money went into making those, but surely I can make copies of it for my own use, on my own expense?

I'll most probably buy BNE as a physical release as soon as it's available in record stores here, but I won't think twice about downloading it when it leaks. I don't know what kind of audiophiles you guys are, but I'll be happy with 192 kbps and upwards for the time it takes me to get the actual CD. I use my active monitors for music, but I'd be lying if I said I can hear the difference between V2 and V0. :lol: