First Impressions - brand new eyes

kwik-silva

Lee, isn't that slightly harsh? :lol:

3/5 - Playing God was a disappointment, but pleasantly surprised by other tracks such as Misguided Ghosts, seems like it'd fit right in on a Laura Marling album, which can only be a good thing :P Turn it Off is good but my favourite have to be the three that we've already heard, Ignorance, BBBB and WTLO

So far I've only listened to the first 4 tracks. So only Careful and Playing God (Ignorance and Brick by Boring Brick I'd obviously already heard :P).

Careful I thought was good, I didn't really pick up on the lyrics (verses) but I thought musically it was good. As for Playing God, my instant reaction was "I hope there isn't another song where Hayley is singing about the guys in the band" - I mean we had Ignorance and BBBB - I just don't want an album full of whingy lyrics.

Thumbs up so far.

Careful was good. Next four were nothing special. The Only Exception was pretty awful, almost sounds like a poor man's Avril Lavigne (go ahead, shoot me). The next two songs (Feeling Sorry, Looking Up) are probably the two best on the album with Looking Up just trumping Feeling Sorry for the top spot. Where the Lines Overlap, I said at the time, was better than Ignorance and the album proves it for me, quality tune. Misguided Ghosts sounds like it could've been a Jose Gonzales song, which is good shit. All I Wanted is okay, nothing special. 7/10 if you want a simple rating.

The only song I don't really like is "The only exception".

And "Playing God" disappointed me a bit,I was expecting something more.. aggressive. Hayley's voice sounds amazing on "All I wanted". Left me speechless. "Careful" sounds awesome too,although I was like "Ok,can anyone help me with the lyrics?" when I heard the studio version. Guess I got used to the instrumental thingy :lol:

"Turn it off" has this ..something that makes me like it. And the studio version of "Where the lines overlap" surprised me. Again,I got used to the live versions :lol:. But this doesn't make WTLO a bad song or something.

Misguided ghosts has this calming effect on me. I don't know how to explain it :lol:

"Feeling sorry"/"Looking up" are just.. ok. :???:

Should I mention about "Ignorance" and BBBB too?

Actually that's me being quite fair as I have given the album time to grow on me & it wouldn't have got a rating on my first impression

Fair enough :lol: You've made me want to listen to Garbage, but that's somewhere on my external HD... need to get round to sorting it out, I just dumped everything from my old PC on it :P

Do you want a medal? ;-)

There's Matt with the medals again :P

I'm just getting to the end now, All I Wanted I'm not sure about... with Hayley's high vocals... I think I prefer the first half of the album. First half I'd say is good, second half will need to grow on me (except for Decode of course :P) although I did like Misguided Ghosts.

No rating just yet.

Me neither. But the reviews I'm reading here are the complete opposite of the ones I've read on LJ and everywhere else.

As in, the "I LOVE PARAMORE WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE GET ME A LIFE?" Lj? :P

yes i do matt.

i havnt even really read the reviews either lmao

Okay.. Well.. that'll be £19.99 for p+p :P

There's Matt with the medals again :P

I love my medals :P

As in, the "I LOVE PARAMORE WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE GET ME A LIFE?" Lj? :P

Difference between the LJ and here, is that I think only the guys have posted their opinions so far. And the LJ is (I would assume) 99% female.

I dunno why I quoted Matt :shifty:Probably because he made me laugh :P