Albums of the year/decade

Hiroki

Rocksound Magazine have got their Top 75 albums of the year in the latest issue.

Here's the Top 20:

20. Isis - "Wavering Radiant"

19. Pissed Jeans - "King of Jeans"

18. Twin Atlantic - "Vivarium"

17. Lam of God - "Wrath"

16. Steel Panther - "Feel The Steel"

15. Muse - "The Resistance"

14. Brand New - "Daisy"

13. Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"

12. Alice In Chains - "Black Gives Way To Blue"

11. Thrice - "Beggars"

10. Mariachi El Bronx - "El Bronx"

9. Future of the Left - "Travels With Myself And Another"

8. Kylesa - "Static Tensions"

7. The Ghost Of A Thousand - "New Hopes, New Demonstrations"

6. And So I Watch You From Afar - "And So I Watch You From Afar"

5. Baroness - "Blue Record"

4. Paramore - "Brand New Eyes"

3. Biffy Clyro - "Only Revolutions"

2. Converge - "Axe to Fall"

1. Mastodon - "Crack The Skye"

Alice in Chains album is not bad, but certainly not going to top any of the Layne Staley era material any time soon.

The Isis album is about right me thinks, not as good as their earlier stuff like Oceanic and Panopticon, but then again, I'm not sure if anyone else besides Pekka on this board even listens to them, so I don't know if any of you guys have even heard their earlier stuff to compare to their latest (if indeed, you've even heard the latest:lol:)

For those that haven't heard Isis, if you're into post rock there's a chance you might like them, although there is also the chance you wont if you're not into any kind of metal since they are well, post metal, which kinda combines elements of metal and post rock into one package.

At any rate, I like Isis more than I like Paramore:lol:

Baroness is just flat out fucking wicked, and they have yet to release a record that wasn't at least an 8/10 in my book. Newest album is no exception, great record.

Axe to Fall was slightly disappointing. It's fucking great, but it does not top their seminal album Jane Doe IMO.

Crack the Skye, fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk yeah, love that album.

Brand New Eyes, great album, but could stand to be a little lower on the list.

The Incident, worst PT album ever. It's not bad, but it's just not very good either IMO.

This year's Brand New album was pretty much secks, I enjoy it a lot.

Kylesa is just a fucking pwnage band, great album with Static Tensions.

Muse's latest, not bad, but nothing special.

Lamb Of God's latest, nothing special to me either.

I feel embarrassed to say I haven't even heard the Thrice album, despite the fact I'm a massive fan of some of their previous stuff. I must rectify that now.

And anything else I didn't mention is because I've never heard the bands, or I've never heard of them at all.

Kayla is tellng me I must hear Twin Atlantic, so I guess I'll get onto that soon

Rocksound Magazine have got their Top 75 albums of the year in the latest issue.

Here's the Top 20:

20. Isis - "Wavering Radiant"

19. Pissed Jeans - "King of Jeans"

18. Twin Atlantic - "Vivarium"

17. Lam of God - "Wrath"

16. Steel Panther - "Feel The Steel"

15. Muse - "The Resistance"

14. Brand New - "Daisy"

13. Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"

12. Alice In Chains - "Black Gives Way To Blue"

11. Thrice - "Beggars"

10. Mariachi El Bronx - "El Bronx"

9. Future of the Left - "Travels With Myself And Another"

8. Kylesa - "Static Tensions"

7. The Ghost Of A Thousand - "New Hopes, New Demonstrations"

6. And So I Watch You From Afar - "And So I Watch You From Afar"

5. Baroness - "Blue Record"

4. Paramore - "Brand New Eyes"

3. Biffy Clyro - "Only Revolutions"

2. Converge - "Axe to Fall"

1. Mastodon - "Crack The Skye"

The Ghost Of A Thousand were good, I think Gallows' "Grey Britain" was better personally. What number was that?

The Ghost Of A Thousand were good, I think Gallows' "Grey Britain" was better personally. What number was that?

32 :)

NME Magazine has their 50 albums of 2009 in this week's issue (out today) I'll be buying it tomorrow, I'll post up their list.

1. Daisy - Brand New

2. It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All a Dream! It's Alright! - mewithoutYou

3. Say Anything - Say Anything

4. Aim and Ignite - fun.

5. This Will Be the Death of Us - Set Your Goals

6. Mean Everything to Nothing - Manchester Orchestra

7. All I Have to Offer is My Own Confusion - Fireworks

8. Road Maps and Heart Attacks - This Time Next Year

9. Where I Want to Be - The Dangerous Summer

10. Cycles - Cartel

Amazing what a couple of weeks can do.

At the Drive In - Relationship of Command

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Radiohead - Kid A

Rage Against The Machine - Renegades

Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven!

Converge - Jane Doe

Opeth - Blackwater Park

5ive - Telestic Disfracture

Tool - Lateralus

Arch Enemy -Wages of Sin

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Opeth- Deliverance

Coheed and Cambria-The Second Stage Turbine Blade

Isis - Oceanic

Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip

Meshuggah - Nothing

Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos

The Postman Syndrome - Terraforming

Nevemore - Enemies of Reality

The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium

Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye

Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Thrice - Artist In the Ambulance

Ohm: - Ohm:

Muse - Absolution

The Mass - City Of Dis

Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People

Killswitch Engage - End Of Heartache

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine

Textures - Polars

Isis - Panopticon

Mastodon - Leviathan

Twin Zero - Monolith

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor

Meshuggah - Catch Thirtythree

Between the Buried and Me - Alaska

The Fall Of Troy - Doppelgänger

Gojira - From Mars To Sirius

Indukti - S.U.S.A.R.

Jesu- Jesu

Laura - Mapping Your Dreams

Ohm: - Amino Acid Flashback

Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw

Protest The Hero - Kezia

The Samuel Jackson Five - Easily Misunderstood

Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design

Soilwork - Stabbing The Drama

Toby Driver- In The L..L..Library Loft

Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain

Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway

Kayo Dot - Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

SikTh - Death of a Dead Day

Sika Redem - Entheogen

Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress

Russian Circles - Enter

Octopus - Bonsai

Pscroptic - Symbols Of Failure

Moonsorrow -Viides Luku - Havitetty

Cannibal Corpse - Kill

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

Between the Buried and Me - Colors

Buckethead - Peppers Ghost

Buckethead - Decoding the Tomb of Banshee Bot

Paramore - Riot!

1980 - 1980

Darkest Hour - Deliver Us

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works

Do Make Say Think - You, You're a History In Rust

The Fall Of Troy - Manipulator

Minus The Bear - Planet Of Ice

Tool - 10 000 Days

What's He Building In There? - What's He Building In There?

Born of Osiris - The New Reign

Cynic - Traced In Air

Meshuggah - obZen

Kayo Dot - Blue Lambency Downward

All Shall Perish - Awaken The Dreamers

Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom

The Faceless - Planetary Duality

Gojira - The Way of All Flesh

Io - Monolith

The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath

Ohm : - Circus of Sound

Sylosis - Conclusion of An Age

Underoath - Lost In The Sound of Separation

Unearth - The March

Protest The Hero - Fortress

Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe

Born Of Osiris - A Higher Place

Paramore - Brand New Eyes

Russian Circles - Geneva

maudlin of the Well - Part the Second

Long Distance Calling - Avoid The Light

SunnO))) - Monoliths and Dimensions

Katatonia - Night Is the New Day

Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect

VersaEmerge - S/T

port-royal - Dying in Time

Devin Townsend Project - Addicted

Brand New - Daisy

Isis - Wavering Radiant

Pelican - What We All Come To Need

This is my final list for the year. Albums that are highlighted indicate they were absolute favorite of that particular year.

Also, a note on the band 5ive, they are not the same thing as the boyband that had the same name, the one I listed is a metal band that writes songs that go well over 10 minutes, so hardly a poppy band lol.

Paramore purists/fanboys/whateverthefuckyoucallyourself may cry foul at my exclusion of AWKIF, but I just don't think it stacks up to Riot! and especially not BNE.

Many of you around here may know me as a metal head that listens to some fucking brutal stuff, but here's my album of the decade that may come as a surprise to some (or may not, who knows):

At the Drive In - Relationship of Command:

album-relationship-of-command.jpg

I've been in love with this album for 6 years.

Some albums I find get boring and less interesting over time.

Not so with this album, 6 years on from when I first heard it I love it as much as ever.

The best post-hardcore album ever IMO and it basically has everything I could ever want in a rock album.

While the members of ATDI moved onto The Mars Volta and Sparta, I feel that those guys peaked as a collective in ATDI with Relationship of Command.

An Honorable mention must go to:

versaemerge.jpg

Not my favorite of 2009, but definitely the biggest surprise for me and one of my favorite new finds of 2009, since of course being a metalhead it's not the kind of stuff I always listen to.

Kayla bugged me to listen to this when I mentioned I had not heard them (I think this was back in October, so 2 months ago).

I put it on and within one listen, I was just totally captured by how amazing it is.

The song writing and the instrumentation show a musical maturity far beyond their actual years and everything is just so amazingly well structured and composed

So thank you for this recommendation Kayla, this EP has brought me a lot of joy over last 2 months I've been listening to it.

Still haven't listened to some albums from this year I wanted to, but I'll list my (current) top 10 anyway...

1. Arctic Monkeys - Humbug

2. Twin Atlantic - Vivarium

3. Mastodon - Crack The Skye

4. Baddies - Do The Job

5. The Joy Formidable - A Balloon Called Moaning

6. The Answer - Everyday Demons

7. Porcupine Tree - The Incident

8. Dananananaykroyd - Hey Everyone

9. The Ghost Of A Thousand - New Hopes, New Demonstrations

10. Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3

This was quite the interesting year for music in my opinion. So many great bands came out with new, much anticipated albums leaving little room for up and coming bands to make a name for themselves. A very different situation from last year, which in my opinion was mainly new bands (motionless in white, lydia). This was a year of high profile bands that were all expected to do great things (paramore, afi, devil wears prada, a day to remember, etc). However, there were still some surprises this year that came forward and made an impact, also some new bands that really pushed the big boys out of the way on their way to the top. You can always count on at least a few newer bands to cause some friction on my list every year. But were any of them good enough to push out paramore or afi? Guess you'll have to find out.

25. The Birthday Massacre: Show and Tell

Best live album of the year, and as we all know I always have to include a live album in my list somewhere. Obviously this one isn't near as good as Paramore's from last year, but the band does everything they do on a full length with commentary in between tracks. Female fronted bands are far too good. We need more of them, especially when they are dark and electronic. Not only that, but they love the color purple. If you have never heard of these Canadians, but Walking with Strangers and thank me later. kbye.

24. 50 Cent: Before I Self Destruct

Don't laugh. The best rap album of the year always makes my list, and this is it. Eff Jay-Z and his New York lameness. Enough, stop singing about New York, because I don't care after 15 years. 50 Cent brings the ghetto shit back, and that is what I like to see. If you're not gangsta, don't rap. Simple as that. Like most rap albums it is not perfected track for track, but it definitely gets to the point and the highlight tracks are freaking great. 50 Cent finally trumped Eminem on one, good for him.

23. Adam Lambert: For Your Entertainment

Quite the change from 50, but the dude can sing better than anyone I've ever heard. Much like 50's album it is not track for track amazing by any means, but the ones that stand out blow me away. Obviously after American Idol I knew the guy would make an impact even if he did a total-POP album, which for the most part, he did. It really doesn't make a difference with the guys voice. Just do a couple slow songs and you make the list Adam. Good work.

22. Iwrestledabearonce: It's All Happening

Krysta Cameron! Good grief girl. If you've never heard of them, you're an idiot. Or you can't deal with messy metal. I've been wearing there tag on my car for the past 8 months since they beat my ass up in Tulsa at the flytrap. Listen to one song, it doesn't even matter which one you listen to. Just do it, and try not to be like "Whaaaaaaaaaaaa?!" It's impossible! It's All Happening! Krysta, top 3 vocalist of the year.

21. Regina Spektor: Far

I was never a big fan, but could always tolerate her. Such a unique voice and the songs are so well written. Almost makes me sick actually, how much I like this album. Two songs in particular are simply stunning. The fact that it was such a shock to me, the album being so great, is what I think landed it on this list. The whole thing just puts you in such a good mood. Usually I prefer very heavy when I want to be happy, but this album is the exception. pretty.

20. Punk Goes Pop: V.2

Compilation love! Kicks off with Alesana which is the best track on the CD doing a JT song. The album did a really good job of mixing the heavy, with the indie and the electronic sides of punk music. Really liked most of the tracks and what the bands did with the songs. The exception: Chiodos. One of my favorite current bands, and they massacred Harvey Danger, bigtime. Silverstein, ADTR, Alesana all contributed big to this effort. V2>V1

19. In Fear and Faith: Your World on Fire

This is one of those consistent albums. It is solid from beginning to end with no real let up. The album does seem to be a little repeitive which ultimately kept it lower on the list, but the live act and the fact that there are no bad songs kept it on the list. I'm still bitter about the new singer and the fact that they didn't include 'Silence in Screaming' on the album. Definitely would have projected it further upward I'm sure of that.

18. Needtobreathe: The Outsiders

All I can say is...lame. Talk about a surprise. I remember the first time I heard this album. I was dogging on it all day saying how mega lame it was. Look at me now. Wow. The truth is, every song with the exception of maybe two tracks are amazing. Very simple, well written songs are sometimes the way to go. The fact that the guy has a great voice definitely doesn't hurt things much either. I give Rob props, but this is the only one of his on this list, that I can guarantee.

17. Mayday Parade: Anywhere But Here

I'm sick of having bands I used to make fun of make this list. Makes me feel like a total jackass. Whatever, this album is freaking awesome. If you listen to this thing without dancing you're an A-Hole. Very catchy, poppy album that really hits well the whole way through. Couple standouts make it a great album that I just simply couldn't deny.

16. Burden of a Day: Oneonethousand

This is one of those classic cases where the album comes out and I feel like it's top 5 easy. But because it is released early in the year other big time albums come out and surpass it. Sorry boys. The album still rips from start to finish and the vocals are fabulous. I saw some negative reviews on the album and just kinda laughed. Probably written by a fan of lame metal like Baroness or Mastodan...or better yet, an indie loving fool who has no business reviewing this stuff. Yep, I'm bitter. But it's only because the album is dice!

15. The Almost: Monster, Monster

Aaron Gillespie. I guess that's all I really need to say.

14. We Came as Romans: To Plant a Seed

Probably the best vocalist of the year. I haven't quite decided yet. This was another album that got poor reviews and again I just had to laugh at how stupid the remarks were. Apparently bands that incorporate metal and keyboards suck?? News to me. To be 100% honest it brings a whole new element to the music and makes it sound much more tight. The second half of the album does seem to drop off a little, but still a very impressive CD.

13. Breaking Benjamin: Dear Agony

Ben fell victim to Paramore and AFI this year. All three records were released on September 28th. Unfortunately the record would have had to have been better than their 2nd album 'We are not alone' for it to have been top 5 this year. It was not, but it was a step up from their last album. It was more complete in my opinion and Ben Burnley can still sing with the best of them. Every song has that raw power that you have come to expect from this band, and they definitely deliver with their fourth album 'Dear Agony'. I really like that he went back to screaming a little more on this record. Props.

12. New Found Glory: Not Without a Fight

There is just something so grand about mega poppy vocals with really heavy riffs. I just can't put my finger on it. Their sound has definitely come a long way, and this is by far their best album hands down. Every song is catchy and solid. No songs really stand out to me, just the fact that I can go the whole way through and not be let down at all is impressive.

11. 30 Seconds to Mars: This is War

This is the cutoff. I wish it was top 11 instead of top 10, because the top 11 this year is amazing. Not taking away from 12-25, but this top 11 is in a league of their own. We get it started with 30 seconds to Mars' new album which is 100 times what their last album was. It has a very 'Angels and Airwaves' feel to it, and Jared Leto tears it up on vocals this time around. The backup vocals add a new element to the band as well. First listen through this album I new it was something special. The album is a lot more progressive as well. They focus less on the 'single' and more on filling the album with meaningful tracks one by one. Instead of three great songs, they decided to write a great album.

10. The Sounds: Crossing the Rubicon

The string of female fronted bands continues. This was another album that kind of took me over from the first time I heard it. From start to finish I was very impressed with the simplistic style the band dominated. The album just has such a good feel to it, puts you in one of those really good moods you can't get out of. Seriously serious! Listen, try not to smile. It was a long year with a lot of good releases in the second half but this album held its ground.

9. Broadway: Kingdoms

I've been excited for this one since last year. I even had one of the tracks from the album on last year's top tracks. The album initially didn't live up to the hype that I had placed upon it. But over time, I couldn't get enough of it. From beginning to end I really loved every song. Even when they decided to feature Johnny Craig (who totally looks like Derek Baril), I was still in love with the CD. When you see them in person, you're kind of confused as to how they play the music they play. They look like total dillbags. Whatever. so does Attack Attack!

8. The Used: Artwork

Empty Without You and Sold My Soul are probably two of the best songs to come out this year. They were both on this album. However, with The Used it is pretty much a guarantee that the whole album is gonna be at least good. This band has still not outdone their first 'self-titled' record, but I really can't complain with everything else they have done. I was so against the band 9 years ago too, but they are far too good to resist. So don't try. In fact I think I'm going to listen to 'Noise and Kisses' now (favorite).

7. Set Your Goals: This Will Be the Death of Us All

Much like the Used album, there were two outstanding tracks (Gaia Bleeds, The Few that Remain). And also much like the Used album, the rest of the album was very solid around those two songs. Every track was good, if not great and the army of band members they use only helps their cause. Two singers should be a friggin rule. If Blink and SYG aren't reason enough to believe in that, I don't know what is?

6. I See Stars: 3D

Black screamer/synth player. Top 10 automatically. The fact that they have amazing songs to back that up puts them a few slots higher. They all look 12 like me. Those three things put them at number 6 on my list. The songs are actually very well written and the breakdowns are well placed. Very powerful band with great poppy melodies and keyboard use. Mature.

5. A Day to Remember: Homesick

The first huge album to hit this year, and was it ever huge. It is so tough to decide between the bands three albums since they are all so brilliant. The band seems so mega lame, but you can't help but love them. The albums are outstanding and the live performances are even better. With Homesick, they stuck with the general feel they had with 'For Those Who Have Heart' but they added to their musical identity. Much like Senses Fail did with 'Life is Not a Waiting Room' after finding themselves on 'Still Searching'. To pick a favorite between the two is near impossible, for either band. Both have certain tracks that stand out and would make a great argument for one over the other. All I can say is, Homesick is the fifth best album of 2009.

4. AFI: Crash Love

The last two AFI albums were number 1 the years they came out (Sing the Sorrow - 2003, Decemberunderground - 2006). With Crash Love, they still had that AFIness about them, but the fullness wasn't quite there. The first half of the album blows you away, not to mention Davey Havok is a genius beyond reason. Beautiful Thieves is probably one of the prettiest songs you will ever hear. Yet the album only hit 4. The end falls off for me, and this is usually where AFI is most sharp. Looking at their last 4 albums even, they always end beautifully. And I am a huge fan of an album that ends with brilliance. This one really didn't and if it had, number 1 again. AFI is the best band of the decade hands down, and this album only adds to that claim.

3. The Devil Wears Prada: With Roots Above and Branches Below

Mike Hranica is fierce. No doubt about that. The band has come so far in the past few years with there sound and song structure. Not taking anything away from the last two albums which were both GREAT! But with the new record they have really made a claim as one of the top metal bands today. Screw Baroness and Mastodan! (I'm bitter). Bands like DWears, IWABO, Asking Alexandria, We Came as Romans. That is where metal lies, trust me. This album was groundbreaking from start to finish. Almost gives you the chills with the greatness of it. Very powerful, yet melodic where it had to be. All things combining effortlessly into DWears' best album yet.

2. Paramore: Brand New Eyes

Not number one? Interesting. Don't get me wrong I cannot say enough good about Paramore and this album even. It succeeds Riot 100 times over with the layout, the lyrics, the structure of the song, the talent level, Hayley and Zac. Brand New Eyes may actually be Paramore's best album (of the 4). It kicks off with Careful which is Zac's best performance to date, and then into the first single Ignorance. From the start you can tell Hayley is a little mad, but she does it beautifully. Playing God is almost laughable simply because she is so angry, but sounds so pretty and nice. Misguided Ghosts and Brick by Boring Brick are the two best songs on the album and probably the two best songs of the entire year! Paramore has quite the track record (AWKIF - number 1, 2005. Riot - number 2, 2007. Final Riot - number 1, 2008, BNE - number 2, 2009). Obviously I am very bias with them, but I do go based on what I listen to the most and enjoy the most...and it always seems to be Paramore.

1. Asking Alexandria: Stand Up and Scream

I have always said (Since 2005 anyway), to beat Paramore you have to be life changing. The only one to do that so far was Protest the Hero, back in 2007 with 'Kezia'. Asking Alexandria, with the way they write are by no means life changing...but the vocal talent, the breakdowns, the overall brutality that this band creates is in fact life changing in my eyes. I have never had an album that I just listen to on repeat for a month with no let up of destruction. This is what metal should be. Danny Worsnop is disgustingly talented and can sing better than anyone I've heard. Known as British metalcore, these fellas have seriously outdone themselves with this one. The record is start to finish brilliance and it only cost me 10 dollars. Changing lives for 10 dollars. Rouse!

What I left off:

Killswitch Engage

Muse

Protest the Hero (live album)

Saosin

The Year Ends in Arson

Silverstein

Green Day

Miss May I

Yeah Yeah Yeah's

Mika

Disappointments:

1. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

2. Taking Back Sunday

3. Brand New (again)

4. Mudvayne (again)

5. Memphis May Fire (new singer)

Vocal Performance of the year:

1. Danny Worsnop: Asking Alexandria

2. Kyle Pavone: We Came as Romans

3. Krysta Cameron: Iwrestledabearonce

Breakdowns of the year:

1. A Dance With Aera Cura: Miss May I

2. The Big Bad Wolf (#2): I See Stars

3. Gaia Bleeds: Set Your Goals

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Paramore - Brand New Eyes

Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life

Madina Lake - Attics To Eden

Flyleaf - Memento Mori

In This Moment - The Dream

Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown

30 Seconds To Mars - This Is War

Plus a few more

In my lifetime top albums: (off the top of my head with not a whole hell of a lot of thought)

best rock: "Weezer (Blue Album)" - Weezer

best rap: "2001" - Dr. Dre

best psychedelic: "Oracular Spectacular" - MGMT

best alt album: "Mutations" - Beck

best piano rock album: "Rockin' The Suburbs" - Ben Folds

best metal: "Dethalbum" - Dethklok

best post-punk: "Franz Ferdinand" - Franz Ferdinand

best pop punk: "Dude Ranch" - Blink 182

best folk: "Gulag Orkestar" - Beirut

best indie: "Red, Yellow and Blue" - Born Ruffians

best experimental: "The Satanic Satanist" - Portugal. The Man

best funk: "St. Elsewhere" - Gnarls Barkley

best indie pop: "Vampire Weekend" - Vampire Weekend

best electronic: "Wermland" - Detektivbyrån

best progressive: "The Bedlam in Goliath" - The Mars Volta

best reggae: "Youth" - Matisyahu

best hip-hop: "License to Ill" - Beastie Boys

excuse the random genre's but I did it off the top of my head and couldn't think of anything else

my favourite albums from each year

2000 - Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R

2001 - System of a Down - Toxicity

2002 - Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

2003 - Muse - Absolution

2004 - Green Day - American Idiot

2005 - Dream Theater - Octavarium

2006 - Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

2007 - Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris

2008 - Metallica - Death Magnetic

2009 - Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings

• 4 months later...

Albums that impressed me last year -

Alexisonfire - Old Crows/Young Cardinals

New Found Glory - Not Without a Fight

Enter Shikari - Common Dreads

Gallows - Grey Britain

Canterbury - Thank You

Emery - In Shallow Seas We Sail

LIGHTS - The Listening

The Swellers - Ups and Downsizing

Fireworks - All I Have to Offer Is My Own Confusion

Paramore - brand new eyes

Albums I'm really enjoying this year

A Common Year - Between Cities

Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise

Foals - Total Life Forever

Crime in Stereo - I Was Trying to Describe You to Someone

The Wonder Years - The Upsides

I love Enemy of the World, dunno if it will make my top 10. I don't seem to be going back to it as often as the others. Same with Hold Me Down.

:P

• 1 month later...

Albums of the decade:

1. It's a blitz!- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

2. Riot!-Parmore

3. The Fame Monster- Lady Gaga

4.Still not get anything- Simple Plan

5. Blueprint 3- Jay Z

6. The adventures of Bobby Ray- B.O.B. (well you know what , no but I like the album)

That's all I can think of so far

• 4 weeks later...

For me, good music went on a hiatus between about 1997 and mid-way 2005. I honestly thought for a while that I'd reached the end of the road and there was no way I would ever hear a new band I liked.

Enter Paramore in my life, and that thankfully changed everything. Since 2005, music has been pretty damn good again.

But I simply could not include anything from 2000-2004 as an album of the decade. I think the early 00's completely sucked, to be honest.

But I simply could not include anything from 2000-2004 as an album of the decade. I think the early 00's completely sucked, to be honest.

Different strokes for different folks and everything, but there's not even one album from then you liked? Just curious cause that's probably my favourite period for music so it's quite interesting to hear, if you get me.

Cause I'm bored, here's my top 10 of 2010 so far:

1. The Wonder Years - The Upsides

2. Man Overbaord - Real Talk

3. Four Year Strong - Enemy of the World

4. Crime in Stereo - I Was Trying to Describe You to Someone

5. Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise

6. Kids in Glass Houses - Dirt

7. The Maine - Black and White

8. Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life

9. Futures - Holiday

10. B.o.B - The Adventures of Bobby Ray

Different strokes for different folks and everything, but there's not even one album from then you liked? Just curious cause that's probably my favourite period for music so it's quite interesting to hear, if you get me.

You need to remember that I'm probably a touch older than most people here. I'm 29, so my musical likings (originally) peaked in the mid 90's. The fact that I found new music I like later on in life (in the case of Paramore, music that I like MORE than what I liked as a teen), I think, makes me different from a lot of people. But from about 1998-2004, other than new releases by bands I already liked from the 90's, there was simply nothing I could find myself even remotely enjoying.

It's like my parents liking the Beatles and then waking up one day and realizing that they were fans of Led Zep. It's just something that doesn't happen too often. I'd bet that I'm an extreme rarity in that way.