General Music Thread

Hiroki

pgcr.jpg

1. Hit The Lights "More Than A Feeling" (originally recorded by Boston)

2. VersaEmerge "Paint It Black" (originally recorded by The Rolling Stones)

3. The Almost "Free Fallin'" (originally recorded by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

4. Mayday Parade "We Are The Champions" (originally recorded by Queen)

5. The Summer Set "Rock 'n Roll All Nite" (originally recorded by KISS)

6. We The Kings "Caught Up In You" (originally recorded by .38 Special)

7. A Skylit Drive "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" (originally recorded by Journey)

8. I See Stars "Your Love" (originally recorded by The Outfield)

9. Pierce The Veil "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" (originally recorded by Blue Oyster Cult)

10. Forever The Sickest Kids "Crazy Train" (originally recorded by Ozzy Osbourne)

11. The Maine "Pour Some Sugar On Me" (originally recorded by Def Leppard)

12. Envy On The Coast "All Along The Watchtower" (originally recorded by Jimi Hendrix)

13. Every Avenue "Take Me Home Tonight" (originally recorded by Eddie Money)

14. Never Shout Never "Bohemian Rhapsody" (originally recorded by Queen)

15. blessthefall "Dream On" (originally recorded by Aerosmith)

Fucking garish cover. And I have a feeling I'll be saying that about some of those songs too.

Please God No.

I feel like crying.

That's the one that pissed me off.

Rule number one: Never cover Queen. Electric Six proved this.

Rule number two: If you do cover Queen make sure you aren't a shitty American band ;-)

Unless you're The Cab. Their cover of "I Want to Break Free" was surprisingly good.

The rule should just be "Never cover 'Bohemian Rhapsody'". The song is untouchable!

Never Shout Never = Never Cover Queen. Never. :P

I'm glad to see no Iron Maiden covers to be honest.

Although I think those covers are going to be crap, I actually don't really know any of those bands which is probably a good thing, cause I'd probably end up hating that album even more. Cause I'm thinking to myself "Envy on the Coast are covering HENDRIX??" And then I think "Hang on a sec, I don't even know who they are".

• 3 weeks later...
pgcr.jpg

1. Hit The Lights "More Than A Feeling" (originally recorded by Boston)

2. VersaEmerge "Paint It Black" (originally recorded by The Rolling Stones)

3. The Almost "Free Fallin'" (originally recorded by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

4. Mayday Parade "We Are The Champions" (originally recorded by Queen)

5. The Summer Set "Rock 'n Roll All Nite" (originally recorded by KISS)

6. We The Kings "Caught Up In You" (originally recorded by .38 Special)

7. A Skylit Drive "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" (originally recorded by Journey)

8. I See Stars "Your Love" (originally recorded by The Outfield)

9. Pierce The Veil "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" (originally recorded by Blue Oyster Cult)

10. Forever The Sickest Kids "Crazy Train" (originally recorded by Ozzy Osbourne)

11. The Maine "Pour Some Sugar On Me" (originally recorded by Def Leppard)

12. Envy On The Coast "All Along The Watchtower" (originally recorded by Jimi Hendrix)

13. Every Avenue "Take Me Home Tonight" (originally recorded by Eddie Money)

14. Never Shout Never "Bohemian Rhapsody" (originally recorded by Queen)

15. blessthefall "Dream On" (originally recorded by Aerosmith)

Fucking garish cover. And I have a feeling I'll be saying that about some of those songs too.

Amazing. I wonder why I hadn't heard of this before.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the singer did a good job with it, but yes, the guitar player should've sold his guitar on ebay before coming to the studio. I didn't think it was even a matter of chops, he handled the riffs just fine (despite his/producer's atrocious vision about how the guitar parts should be played), but he sounded like the worst kind of a bedroom shredder from Youtube.

It's absolutely a lack of chops though. Hell, he couldn't even pull of the ending 16th note triplet run, which even a bedroom shredder could do (seeing as all they practice is playing as fast as possible anyway)

The complete lack of vibrato in the solo shows a distinct lack of chops. I don't equate chops to speed techniques, to me vibrato counts as "chops" and if you can't do it, you're lacking in chops.

Granted, I'm not exactly Yngwie Malmsteen when it comes to vibrato control, but I'm sure I could have played the Crazy Train solo better than the dude from Forever The Sickest Kids (including the 16th note triplet run too:p).