General Music Thread

Hiroki

First CD I ever got was Stunt from Barenaked Ladies

First CD I bought myself was Ten Thousand Fists from Disturbed

Last album I purchased was brand new eyes.

I never really got into music until my freshman year in high school, mainly because I was embarrassed of what I liked. I started out listening to Disturbed in eighth grade, and Linkin Park prior to that, but that was pretty much all I listened to. Freshman year, I discover finding music on the internet, where I found Paramore. The first song I've ever heard from them was Whoa. After Paramore a new world of music opened for me other than the garbage I always heard on the radio. Now, a majority of the music I listen to, the average Top 40 listeners have never heard of, which I kinda like. I'm glad I never turned into a big Hip-Hop/Rap fan, which is generally absolute garbage. But thanks to my dad always listening to 80's Glam Metal and my mom's obsession with Barry Manilow, it sorta widened my taste for music, and that sorta formed what I listen to today, meaning that I can go from listening to: NeverShoutNever! to The Devil Wears Prada to VersaEmerge. So I'm pretty glad for what I grew up listening to.

I have some questions though:

What qualifies good music? Is there a point where no matter how good a band is that they turn to crap because they have become too mainstream? Do you think you have to like certain bands to have good taste or that listening to certain bands means you have bad taste? What do you do if someone says you're favorite band sucks or is just a rip-off of another band? etc.

1. Everything but Brokencyde. :lol: In all reality, what ever you think is good is all that's important.

2. If you do think a band has become crap just because they're popular then you were into them for all the wrong reasons. Over time, it's natural to grow out of bands, bands sounds change etc. but if popularity is the sole reason for a change of opinion then I think it would be best if you just sellotaped your face to a door.

3. I, personally, don't think so. But certain cliques will. You won't get anywhere with the Vengaboys on Pitchfork and likewise you won't find any Neutral Milk Hotel fans within a raver's scene. I think you, in yourself, can admit that maybe one band has a less respectable standing in music on the whole but that shouldn't stop you listening to them if you like them.

4. If they say they suck, fair enough, each to their own. Saying they're a "rip off band" is not as much of an opinion but more of a statement of fact. So I'd ask for proof in that case. If anything, it's only going to benefit myself because it could be a band I've never heard of and might like or the accuser has just heard someone else say it, jumped on the bandwagon and has no proof.

What qualifies good music? Is there a point where no matter how good a band is that they turn to crap because they have become too mainstream? Do you think you have to like certain bands to have good taste or that listening to certain bands means you have bad taste? What do you do if someone says you're favorite band sucks or is just a rip-off of another band? etc.

Good music is solely down to opinion really isn't it. My taste is my taste, it's actually good to see a couple of people on here that actually like some of the bands I do more recently.

And if anyone says my favourite band is crap then I ignore them. [by going by last.fm plays] Iron Maiden would probably be my fav band of all time, and really not many people can call them crap :lol: But everyone's entitled to an opinion. They think a band I like is crap, fair enough, I probably think a band they like is crap too ;-)

After coming onto this forum I did feel that I had to like certain bands to have good taste...After all, a lot of people on here like alternative/indie/post-hardcore/pop punk....So I generally kept away from the Other Music part of the forum.

I would say quite a lot of the threads in the music forum were for bands I'd not heard of (mainly due to them being american) when I joined, some still I haven't heard of - either that or I have heard and I don't like. Example: All Time Low.

I would say quite a lot of the threads in the music forum were for bands I'd not heard of (mainly due to them being american) when I joined, some still I haven't heard of - either that or I have heard and I don't like. Example: All Time Low.

Yeah same, I get what you mean.

When I first looked at the threads, I know I was like huh? :???:

:oops:

I was just going through my cd collection and found an album that I now really despise and cannot believe I bought, a french house/techno band called Cassius and the album 1999, actually bought while I was in Paris.

But also found a cool album that I haven't listened to in years. That is Silverchair - Neon Ballroom.

An album I can recommend to everyone.