Confession Thread - Part 8

RenegadeRoss

Fair enough.

I'm half playing guitar, half posting.

I realized I need to work on my metalz rhythm chops again lately.

I also managed to put a 10 gauge, 13 and 17 without realizing on my guitar and now vibrato is making me sweat.

I've been working on that, too! I've been playing nothing but Slayer, early Metallica, Megadeth and Iced Earth. I kinda revamped my picking technique as well so I've spent hours upon hours with my metronome...

Except that I arranged Misguided Ghosts for one guitar.

I remember when ALL I used to do was wank away on leads, alt picking, all that garbage.

Suddenly this year, for some reason the power of heavy metal rhythm guitar hit me more so than ever before.

I've been playing some Killswitch Engage lately. I used to hate on them because they were a metalcore band, but I decided to stop being a close minded prick and actually gave them a chance and decided that their album End of Heartache is actually quite badass.

It's a good rhythm guitar workout, at times like Metallica riffs on steroids

Those guys can actually play pretty fucking well, and they throw in some death metal influences in their riffs from time to time, which I think is pretty neat.

Misguided for one guitar eh? sounds neat

I have one Killswitch album but I don't remember it being too tricky to play. :/ It's not the one you have, though. I came to admit the fact that my picking hand is horribly out of shape seeing how it's the weaker of my hands anyway and I decided get it up to speed for good. >=)

In some places the arrangement reminds me of playing Bach's Fugues because it's quite tricky, but it sounds neat. :D I would actually need a 7-stringer to play the "run from them" part with the low A, G, and F while retaining the arpeggios way up the neck, but seeing as I don't have one, I had to compromise.

Well, KSE aren't a tech band at any rate, nor are they trying to be.

I'd say many of the riffs are definitely at least as hard to play as Megadeth stuff though, so it's certainly a decent right hand workout. Plenty of quick stops too, to test the muting technique of both hands.

Bear in mind though, when I play along to KSE, I put their tracks into a DAW program, shift the song down 1 semi tone to make it playable on my 7 string, and then of course figure out how to play the riffs in B standard.

It's a bit of a pain to play their stuff which is in Drop C unless your guitar is set up for it.

Yeah, It's interesting how some Bach tends to be a lot easier on 7 string guitars, particularly the Cello Suite stuff, which goes below the range of an E standard tuned 6 string. Some of the Bach stuff is nigh on impossible on 6 strings.

That's why I prefer Bach's violin sonatas, although I'm pretty sure that I've been playing some kind of rearrangements of those as well since the versions I have are slightly different from the violin recordings I've heard. Now build me an acoustic 7 stringer so that I can play A Change Of Seasons and Misguided Ghosts.

I've been wanting me an acoustic 7 stringer for a while.

I never really fucked around with ACOS.

when it comes to DT 7 string stuff, I mainly fuck with the Lie and The Mirror riffage.

The Mirror is good fun for sticking a hair tie on the strings, and just playing that first 1 min or so of riffage with nothing but the right hand to mute the strings.

Pure bliss.

Haha, I bet! :rotfl: I listened to Awake again a couple of days ago, and fuck, Petrucci knew how to play a guitar solo back then. Both of Lie's solos are absolutely amazing.

Uuh, was Panic Attack played with a 7 stringer or wut? That would be a killer song to play.