Hayleys diet? (voice concern)

Emiss

We all saw how it went at the beginning of the BNE tour. Her voice completely broke down! Now she's back on track! And that's good =)

I wonder..does anyone what her diet might look like? Because I sing myself, but not yet professionally (I haven't started lessons yet). I believe that my voice can get better, bet I can approve by changing my diet. any tips/ideas? I know she stays away from cheese, but is there something else?

Thank you in advance. And if someone already answered a similar question, I'd love to be linked!

-K.A.

Basically, at this point, she has a super boring diet. She said recently that she went to Burger King and got a plain hamburger, hahaha. No dairy, no coffee (or caffeine in general), no spicy foods, and no tomato-based foods (acid reflux). She can't eat past either 7pm or 9pm. She has also said that she even stays away from soy milk at this point, so she probably drinks rice/almond milk, unless she gave up on that one, lol.

If you go to the Paramoreband LJ, she's responded to people in the past few entries about what she can and can't eat, but that's all because she really needs to keep her voice in shape. Unless you have nodes or lose your voice constantly, you don't need to get that extreme.

If you're just looking for general tips to help with your voice, avoid dairy and caffeine a few hours before you sing. Drink tons of water, and stay away from alcohol and anything like cigarettes (sorry singers who smoke, I want to punch you in the face). Tea, lemon, and honey are your friends. :)

Diets make your voice better?

Damn how come all the opera singers are fat then?

lol, I really hope you're kidding.

• 1 month later...

Make sure the water you drink is at room temperature. Cold water causes your vocal muscles to tense and hot water relaxes the muscles so you want to avoid drinking either of those before singing. Adding lemon to your water could reduce the production of mucus too.

Something else to avoid is whispering. One of the most damaging things you can do to your vocal chords as it closes your vocal chords together.

A lot of my friends are singers since I got to music school and one of the things I've noticed when we're eating is that they tend to avoid dairy products in liquid form, but thats only if they have to perform later that day. Also, they tend to drink warm honey or lemon water after they perform to keep their vocal chords relaxed after the singing process.

Basically, at this point, she has a super boring diet. She said recently that she went to Burger King and got a plain hamburger, hahaha. No dairy, no coffee (or caffeine in general), no spicy foods, and no tomato-based foods (acid reflux). She can't eat past either 7pm or 9pm. She has also said that she even stays away from soy milk at this point, so she probably drinks rice/almond milk, unless she gave up on that one, lol.

If you go to the Paramoreband LJ, she's responded to people in the past few entries about what she can and can't eat, but that's all because she really needs to keep her voice in shape. Unless you have nodes or lose your voice constantly, you don't need to get that extreme.

If you're just looking for general tips to help with your voice, avoid dairy and caffeine a few hours before you sing. Drink tons of water, and stay away from alcohol and anything like cigarettes (sorry singers who smoke, I want to punch you in the face). Tea, lemon, and honey are your friends. :)

Ohhh but pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, one of my favorite vocalists ever has been a smoker for about half his life:p

But then again, he also has astoundingly good technique and it's often said that great technique can often get around potential barriers to good vocals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikael_Akerfeldt

Crazy good vocalist, as well as stunning guitarist that has been smoking for fuck knows how long. Death metal growls are arguably even more difficult than "normal" singing because of the greater potential to damage your vocal chords, so being able to have a master of both death growls and clean vocals like that is an amazing feat I'd say. Don't think he quite possess the upper note range that Hayley does, but he has a good timbre to his voice and stunning pitch and vibrato control.

Would like to see Hayley take on the death metal growl one day too:p

A lot of my friends are singers since I got to music school and one of the things I've noticed when we're eating is that they tend to avoid dairy products in liquid form, but thats only if they have to perform later that day. Also, they tend to drink warm honey or lemon water after they perform to keep their vocal chords relaxed after the singing process.

Mmmmm....honey, water, and lemon is sooo yummy.

Imma go make some now. :D