Hayley Younger Solo Deal?

the1

Okay, call me "crazy", but I seem to remember reading somewhere about Paramore being somewhat manufactured...

I'm not saying this in any disrespectful way- just interest. But I even remember a mod on this very board not denying it, and saying there might be reason to believe it. Something about Hayley having a record deal when she was younger and having the band built around her?

Sounds kinda odd....but I've just listened to the 2004 demos....sounds nothing like Paramore. Sounds like Avril/The Veronicas...and are stupidly high quality. Just makes me wonder if they really did start out like all other bands...

If this thread gets closed for "speculation" then that's silly. I'm just curious seeing as I do clearly remember this being said in a fair few places...

I believe that at one point between her band with Jeremy and the beginning of Paramore that she had demos by herself. She was never signed to any label before Paramore but she did at one point have a solo "career". Like Adore and all those demos were just her and not with Paramore. At least that is what I have been told.

I don't have any proof, it's all just conjecture on my part, but I'm with James on this.

Her demo's are waaaaay to overproduced to be some "small thing".

Having said that, I'm not denying Paramore's writing- their stuff is obv alot different. There's just something that they've omitted from their Biography...

Maybe you're right on this one, who knows, it's not my place to say if he's wrong or not at this stage until I get any further evidence.

However, on the whole demo thing, no offense dude, but I think you lack an understanding of production (not in terms of the producers, as in arrangements and shit, but sonics) and what can be done in this day and age.

Although I say "in this day and age", the landscape was not much different in 2004.

It's a day an and age of digital recording with DAW software which allows you to seamlessly punch in parts whenever you want without the hassle of having to fuck with tape machines, to be able to edit shit even if the performances are sub par to perfection.

Copy and paste verse and chorus parts, no fucking problemo.

Vocals a little out of tune? No worries, get your cracked copy of melodyne or autotune and bingo, in tune.

And no, it doesn't have to sound fucking stupid like that crap they do with autotune in all this candy pop and shit hip hop they do nowadays, it can be quite transparent and almost unnoticeable the effect is even applied.

Drums sound a little thin? Download some snare, cymbal, kick drum and tom samples, blend them in with the original drum performance (or replace it entirely with samples) and there you go, huge sounding drums.

I could go on further, but you get my drift hopefully.

Yes, it's true the very best productions are still going to be made in big pro studio with expensive gear.

It's fair to say a bedroom audio engineer isn't going to match the sonics on Riot! or Brand New Eyes.

However, even the pros in the field admit, it's mostly down to the ears and talent, and the gear you own is secondary.

Hell, I don't have any pro gear myself really, but with the knowledge I've acquired from studying audio engineering, I can easily get some amp simulation software and the VST plug ins, and get a very good sounding guitar tone that is at least 90 per cent of the way to a pro sounding guitar sound.

There are guys working in audio engineering that will charge 50 bucks, or even nothing (just to get their name out) to do EPs and demos that can be at least 85 per cent as good as a pro production.

I know this, because audio engineering is one of my main hobbies nowadays and spend a lot of time on audio engineering forums.

With a bunch of pirated software if they can't afford any, all they need is a good set of ears and skill and away you go to getting a demo that will sound pretty awesome. It just isn't the 80s anymore where demos pretty much could only sound like a bag of shit.

The only excuse for a demo sounding shit in this day and age is if the person tracking the instruments and the person mixing it (whether it be the same person who did the tracking, or someone else) doesn't know what the fuck they are doing and haven't developed their ears well enough to do a good job.

^ Harry, your post instantly reminded me of this segment from Before The Music Dies:

As far as I know, Hayley was just doing some demo vocals for the guy, they wrote some songs, and recorded them. I think I've even heard Hayley talk about just doing some studio work around that time (which was when she was in the funk band with Jeremy, who was also doing studio work), but I read so much on the internet that I don't know what comes from where anymore. It is Nashville, which is HUGE for music. That's just what people do there. It doesn't need to be a huge project, just a chance to make some money and more importantly do something fun.

Sure a label could've easily found her first and asked her to get a band, but why would they when Avril Lavigne and several others were making huge names for themselves as solo chick-rockers at that time? Finding a band would've meant paying more people and having less control over what she'd become.

Okay, call me "crazy", but I seem to remember reading somewhere about Paramore being somewhat manufactured...

I'm not saying this in any disrespectful way- just interest. But I even remember a mod on this very board not denying it, and saying there might be reason to believe it. Something about Hayley having a record deal when she was younger and having the band built around her?

Sounds kinda odd....but I've just listened to the 2004 demos....sounds nothing like Paramore. Sounds like Avril/The Veronicas...and are stupidly high quality. Just makes me wonder if they really did start out like all other bands...

If this thread gets closed for "speculation" then that's silly. I'm just curious seeing as I do clearly remember this being said in a fair few places...

I read about this on Absolute Punk, you probably read it there too.

I have no comment on this.

But....if it is true, it doesn't change my opinion about Paramore.

I agree with Chriss, if the label had wanted to turn Hayley into as much money as possible, they would've used her as a solo artist. At least that makes more sense in my mind.

And I'm wondering how Hayley's earlier record deal could've stayed at a hearsay level for this long...meh, it's certainly a breeding ground for new rumors, but I think it's pretty unlikely that she had a record deal PRIOR to joining Paramore. Where's the album then? Why would've FBR handed out money for Hayley to record her own music and then not release it, and THEN proceed to tell her that she needs a band? What Davesgrrl suggested seems much more likely to me. Of course, Hayley could've recorded those demos on her own, present them to a label and then gotten told to come back with a band, but wouldn't that contradict what you said about those songs being really high quality? Like Harry said, it's possible to have that kind of sound outside a professional studio.

And again, Hayley's solo career would've probably been the "safer" road for the label to take.

Is it just me that thinks people are saying Hayley solo deal stuff simply because Brand New Eyes was Hayley's record?

Anyway, my opinion is that there's more money to be had in a solo artist so I don't really believe it.

but it isn't, and if people have watched the BNE DVD you'll see exactly why it's not, i absolutely hate it when people say this. I think people are forcing themselves to think this statement purely because the fact that it's mostly Hayley's feelings etc, especially after seeing Ignorance, but aren't all the Paramore albums like that to some degree? They're all "Hayley's records" if that's the case, if you really think about it.

to me this has the most 'band feel' in it if you focus on the music within the songs.

maybe it's just me. i'm sure there are some people on the board who agree, just didnt want to say anything cause it would start an argument.

and this has made me make this go off topic but I always wanted to say this (I saw it being posted on the First Impressions thread for BNE but I didn't want to reply lol)

:???:

I dunno, it's kind of an insult, seeing as the record is about what the band went through and how they bounced back. The meaning of 'brand new eyes', it's in the title. lol

Exactly, it gives me the fucking shits when anyone says "It was Hayley's record".

THAT IS BULLSHIT.

Fuck guys, you can't hear the more complex guitar parts going on in BNE compared to the previous 2 albums?

You can't hear Josh and Taylor's guitar style all over the new record?

If you can't, then fuck me, I just don't know. You need to put the record on again sometime soon and give it a close listen.

If anything, AWKIF is "Hayley's record" (and I'm reluctant to say that, since that's full of shit too) since the arrangements give her vocals more space to breathe than the more dense offering that is BNE.

You could say the first three Weezer albums were Rivers Cuomo's albums because he refused to let the other members contribute to any of the writing. To say BNE is Hayley's album because she wrote the lyrics is ridiculous. The guys contributed so much music-wise to the album as well. If they weren't happy about how Hayley's lyrics represented them, then they wouldn't be on the album. It was a team effort.

when you say this do you mean paramore or the other "band" before that with old demos?

and having the band built around her?

but if by this you mean the "band" she had before paramore then i guess it's possible, could be anything really. i havn't heard/seem them talk about those demos much

as far as paramore, i doubt it, she mightve had some sort of "deal" before she met the guys but i dont think they were placed together, i believe what theyve always said about hayley meeting jeremy in the funk cover band and then hayley meeting josh and zac in "school" and they asked her to join the band.

and for the BNE being hayley's album... thats so wrong, have you seen the dvd, have you heard them explain it? lol

and for the BNE being hayley's album... thats so wrong, have you seen the dvd? lol

exactly. that's exactly what I mentioned.

thank you!

/we win.

Just a note, if I misunderstood you Andrew and you don't personally think it's Hayley's album, then I'm sorry, but I wanted to say that to anyone else who thinks/thought so anyway. XD

I think I'll stick to the original idea. Hayley and Jeremy joining Josh and Zack seems kind of more real to me, i guess. Also, if I remember correctly, didn't even Hayley say in one of her livejournal comments that some of the old demos were recorded in studios (which anyone can go if they book some hours to record) and others in Josh's house? O:

little offtopic maybe but I suppose the had many band before this one.

I mean every musician has a point where you are ''noob'' and things doesnt sound so good.

I was impressed how good Paramores first album sound like if you compare with older band you can hear how the band is growing up within the albums.

Sure BNE is more pop and cleaner than the 1st album but the only different is maybe that their 1st album were darker and that they are recoding in a more expensive studio than The Beatles today.