Siren (My Band :D)

XxSanctuaryxX

Heyyy guys, sam yung here, (piano covers dude haha) yeah basically we've set up our own band... called 'siren' :) we've already got some videos up on youtube.. only of paramore covers so far, but hey, everyone has to start somewhere i guess. We're foollowing that same sort of trend and sound as paramore, but we want to be different at the same time, but comparisons dont really irk us that much because its inevietable. lol.

check out some of our covers on http://www.youtube.com/user/paramore2006 (along with some of my piano covers)

here is a cover we did today of my heart, with that extra ending bit with that high note that hayley does.. dont thhink anyones added that in their covers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kNuvN3UOw

oh and if you have facebook, we'd be greatful if you could 'become a fan' of on it :)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Siren/325845815086?ref=ts

We do have original material under our belts, but we just need to get around to recording it...potentially recording an EP at our school studio, but for now its just covers haha. feedback would be gret!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That was amazing. Well written, simple, effective, and full of melodies to my liking. :) Only problem I have is with the way the instruments have been mixed together. They kinda get buried beneath each other. I'm no master when it comes to audio production, but some simple touches of equalization could bring everything forward in the mix without stepping on other instruments' toes, and HOAH, I get itchy just thinking how that gorgeous voice would sound like with some real bite added to it...

This is of course coming from me and my own taste in mixing music, but yeh.

Still, MOAR.

Honestly if an engineer said "here you go guys!" and came back to me with that mix, I'd be pretty pissed off. I hope you guys didn't pay money for that mix, because I know many guys in their bedrooms who could easily do a far better job than that.

Hell I know I could have done a better job than that and I'm not that great

Surely you guys could have let the engineer borrow a copy of Brand New Eyes and said "This is kinda in the ballpark of what we want production wise" so he could have used it as a production reference?

I always constantly check my mixes against professional stuff like BNE, Riot, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory and various other great sounding productions to make sure I'm on the right track with guitar sounds, bass sounds, drum sounds etc etc. It sounds like the person that mixed it went "blind" (that is, went solely based on their ears, which don't sound very developed to me) rather than bother to use reference guides.

And surely when you guys got it back and compared it to pro sounding stuff like Riot and BNE you would have said "Ughhh, this production job is weak" and told the guy you want your money back? Dayummmmmmm kids.

Well if anything, it's a learning experience and next time you guys hit the studio, you'll be more prepared and should hopefully have a better idea what to listen for.

Unfortunately, a lot of elements of that mix can't really be saved with EQ, as much as Pekka might hope so:p:mrgreen:.

The guitars were evidently just poorly recorded in the first place and same for the bass guitars. Guitars are muffled, have no body in the lower mids and core mids and have way too much upper mids. You can't magically EQ stuff like that to fix it up.

The whole mix in general is quite muffled.

As for the actual song, I dig it

Hey fuck you, I was talking about the piano and the vocals, mainly (and I'm not sure if I heard clean guitar or some synth sound or something in my right ear at some parts). Stuff that would benefit from EQing. I wasn't saying you can fix everything with it, but you COULD improve stuffz. >:o

we didn't pay for the mix, we just paid for studio time, so i guess the mediocre mix was just a bonus... lol but yeah next time we're in, we'll consider mixing and mastering etc more carefully, at the moment, it was just the case of us getting material out asap really

Hey fuck you, I was talking about the piano and the vocals, mainly (and I'm not sure if I heard clean guitar or some synth sound or something in my right ear at some parts). Stuff that would benefit from EQing. I wasn't saying you can fix everything with it, but you COULD improve stuffz. >:o

:rotfl:

I'm not sure why having someone say "fuck you" to me is so funny, but that was on the ball.

FWIW the key sounds aren't too bad as it is anyway

we didn't pay for the mix, we just paid for studio time, so i guess the mediocre mix was just a bonus... lol but yeah next time we're in, we'll consider mixing and mastering etc more carefully, at the moment, it was just the case of us getting material out asap really

It's all about getting each phase right, from tracking (audio engineer speak for recording) all the through to mastering.

Tracking is arguably the most important phase, as good tracking makes it MUCH easier on the mixing engineer because stuff will just fall into place better, so make sure you get a good tracking engineer.

Tell your guitarist to learn about DI tracks (don't worry about what it means, let them do the research :lol:), it could save your ass big time next time.

As for mastering, like good tracking helps make for a good mix, once again, good mixing eases the load off a mastering engineers shoulders because they aren't fighting constantly to try to make the most out of a bad mix