The Ladies' Thread

Catie

Not sure where this puts me (in the minority/majority), but I'm just generally not a big fan anymore of the distinctive external appearance thing anymore.

I think it's cool for stuff like dress up parties, or if you're in a band, and need to look the part on stage (like being in a metal band, wearing a lot of black maybe, or in a punk band, so with the skate shoes, jeans and stuff, or whatever), but the older I get, the more it just strikes me as silly to go about every day life looking like.......well, just weird.

Yeah, I used to always wear heavy metal band t shirts, always used to wear crazy, old worn out jeans, but I just got older, grew out of it, matured and now just dress really conservatively and much nicer than I used (except when I go skateboarding occasionally, I wear old crappy clothes because I don't want to ruin my good clothes).

I think it's just easier to dress and look 'normal'. I've found that way, people don't look at me weird, people in the street don't harass me and don't seem repulsed by me like they do to my friends who chose to look externally different because of the way they dress/makeup/piercings etc. As such, I don't have any piercings, have never changed my hair color and don't really wear clothes that make people instantly think I belong to a sub culture (like pop punk, metal, goth, indie etc).

Even though I really love rock music, and of course, metal, a lot of times if someone just saw me in the street, it wouldn't be obvious.

I think there's something really awesome about that, because instead of it being blatantly obvious, it kinda keeps you guessing about what the person could be like

I've always found it interesting, that usually, the most interesting and deep people I meet are those who don't dress and look distinctive at all.

If you want to really stand out from the pack, just read a lot, learn a lot, develop an understanding of the world around you.

Learn about stuff bigger and more important than yourself, like arts, science, history, whatever really.

In a way, I think it's kind of a cheap way to make yourself seem more interesting.

And really, if you are truly worried about what people will think if you do it, why put yourself through the stress of doing it and then having to worry? Your post has made it clear you care about what others think and how they'll perceive you and there is nothing wrong with that, it's human, and it's normal.

Some people say "I don't care what others think", but it's bullshit, because there isn't a person in the world who doesn't care what others think at least to some extent. In fact, the people that go ON AND ON about not caring about what others think, I've found are always the people that care what others think to an unhealthy and obsessive degree.

I care about what others think of me to some extent. Is it a bad thing? No. It's just being realistic and truthful to myself.

Sorry if that was a bit long winded, but food for thought, from the perspective of a male who's almost 22 years old and been through the whole teenage thing.

haha i like your long posts! (:

yeah, well the most things I do, I do because I like it.

But yeah I always have in my mind, what do other people think about it?

But it's not if they dislike it, and i like it alot, I wont do it anymore.

But i've been bullied alot from when i was young till now.

And I don't want to get it so intense like it was.

But it also just something I really really want.

But im scared it's isnt my color.

And my mom told me today, if i would die my hair red, she doesnt want to walk with me :rotfl:

Because she hates red as a hair color!

Not sure where this puts me (in the minority/majority), but I'm just generally not a big fan anymore of the distinctive external appearance thing anymore.

I think it's cool for stuff like dress up parties, or if you're in a band, and need to look the part on stage (like being in a metal band, wearing a lot of black maybe, or in a punk band, so with the skate shoes, jeans and stuff, or whatever), but the older I get, the more it just strikes me as silly to go about every day life looking like.......well, just weird.

Yeah, I used to always wear heavy metal band t shirts, always used to wear crazy, old worn out jeans, but I just got older, grew out of it, matured and now just dress really conservatively and much nicer than I used (except when I go skateboarding occasionally, I wear old crappy clothes because I don't want to ruin my good clothes).

I think it's just easier to dress and look 'normal'. I've found that way, people don't look at me weird, people in the street don't harass me and don't seem repulsed by me like they do to my friends who chose to look externally different because of the way they dress/makeup/piercings etc. As such, I don't have any piercings, have never changed my hair color and don't really wear clothes that make people instantly think I belong to a sub culture (like pop punk, metal, goth, indie etc).

Even though I really love rock music, and of course, metal, a lot of times if someone just saw me in the street, it wouldn't be obvious.

I think there's something really awesome about that, because instead of it being blatantly obvious, it kinda keeps you guessing about what the person could be like

I've always found it interesting, that usually, the most interesting and deep people I meet are those who don't dress and look distinctive at all.

If you want to really stand out from the pack, just read a lot, learn a lot, develop an understanding of the world around you.

Learn about stuff bigger and more important than yourself, like arts, science, history, whatever really.

In a way, I think it's kind of a cheap way to make yourself seem more interesting.

And really, if you are truly worried about what people will think if you do it, why put yourself through the stress of doing it and then having to worry? Your post has made it clear you care about what others think and how they'll perceive you and there is nothing wrong with that, it's human, and it's normal.

Some people say "I don't care what others think", but it's bullshit, because there isn't a person in the world who doesn't care what others think at least to some extent. In fact, the people that go ON AND ON about not caring about what others think, I've found are always the people that care what others think to an unhealthy and obsessive degree.

I care about what others think of me to some extent. Is it a bad thing? No. It's just being realistic and truthful to myself.

Sorry if that was a bit long winded, but food for thought, from the perspective of a male who's almost 22 years old and been through the whole teenage thing.

Oh my. Just like me.

But from a perspective of a female who's over 21 years old.

My friend's goal for the rest of the school year is to find me a boyfriend.

*facepalm*

1) I don't want a boyfriend currently.

2) I have no time to be in a relationship.

3) My friend has no idea what I would even want in a boyfriend.

The next six months are gonna suck.

I wouldn't worry. It never happens. You'll be like introduced to one guy, max.

I wouldn't worry. It never happens. You'll be like introduced to one guy, max.

Its gotten worse though! She's gotten three of my other friends in on it and they're on this master search to find me the perfect guy.

They honestly do not understand that I am perfectly content with my life right now. Sometimes I wonder why I have such idiots for friends.

Its gotten worse though! She's gotten three of my other friends in on it and they're on this master search to find me the perfect guy.

They honestly do not understand that I am perfectly content with my life right now. Sometimes I wonder why I have such idiots for friends.

They won't find someone, trust me. The amount of times my friends have said to me "I'm going to set you up with someone" and it hasn't happened is unreal. They'll eventually forget all about it. I think it's a girl thing.

i wouldn't worry too much about it faith. you don't want a boyfriend and if they are going to stress to try and find you one then let them. i'd just sit back and laugh at it all if i were you. because like ross said, they really aren't going to find you anyone; they'll forget/give up in a few weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Is it weird that I don't want to get in a relationship because I'm afraid as soon as I'm committed, someone even better will come along?

It's not even that I have a fear of commitment. I just don't want to be like "FFFFUUUU- you are the guy of my dreams that I've been waiting for, but I'm dating someone else right now..." and then I'll miss out on them. Or if I have to break up with the other guy he'll feel shitty.

Is it weird that I don't want to get in a relationship because I'm afraid as soon as I'm committed, someone even better will come along?

It's not even that I have a fear of commitment. I just don't want to be like "FFFFUUUU- you are the guy of my dreams that I've been waiting for, but I'm dating someone else right now..." and then I'll miss out on them. Or if I have to break up with the other guy he'll feel shitty.

STORY OF MY LIFE! I've felt the same exact way for basically my entire life. Well until now I finally realized that I can't do that anymore because I've been doing it for so long and nothing has ever happened I've never met no "even better" guy so I just went for it with Dan (my boyfriend)

Right now, my boyfriend and I are great. Everything is going well! His ex has been trying to get with him though which i DO NOT like and if she continues we will have some problems.

and the thing that really fucking kills me, is that I try so hard to lose weight, I really do.

I eat very strictly, and I exercise a lot and I just can't seem to lose weight.

and I hate when people tell me that I shouldn't hate my body,

unless you wake up in my skin every morning, don't tell me to "love my body"

and the thing that really fucking kills me, is that I try so hard to lose weight, I really do.

I eat very strictly, and I exercise a lot and I just can't seem to lose weight.

and I hate when people tell me that I shouldn't hate my body,

unless you wake up in my skin every morning, don't tell me to "love my body"

girl i am so with you

i even refuse to buy new clothes until i lose weight and my dad thinks i'm completely ridiculous for it

he even told me if i want to go out in public with him i need new clothes

yeah, not until i look good in them bro