The Soundtrack To Your Life

EasyTarget

Mod Ross and I were discussing this and felt it deserved a thread.

We all listen to music, right? So I'm sure we'll all have a song or two that reminds us of something or someone. This thread is basically a place to share your stories on why a particular song is important to you.

Off you go and have fun! :mrgreen:

Well, I'll be the first to tell a story, I'll probably tell many more in this thread, but I'll start with a song that basically saved my life.

Learning to Breathe by Switchfoot.

A few years ago I was in a really bad place in my life. I basically hated my father because he was always at work and he never had any time for me, and at 15 years old all I really wanted was attention and approval from my dad. Since he was never there though, I went into a horrible depression because I felt like I was useless because he wasn't acknowledging me really. Things just got really bad and my depression got worse and I got to the point where I wanted to kill myself. One night I came super close to overdosing on some Advil, luckily, there wasnt enough in the bottle to do much harm. I thought that it would help me feel numb to everything around me, when in all reality it just made things worse.

A couple days later though, I was listening to my iTunes and I forgot that I had put it on shuffle and the first song to come up was Learning to Breathe. When the song reached the chorus I was sobbing and realizing that there's more to life than I had thought. There was more to live for.

I'm learning to breathe

I'm learning to crawl

I'm finding that You and

You alone can break my fall

I'm living again, awake and alive

I'm dying to breathe in these abundant skies

Oh, and if anyone was wondering, me and my dad are good now. haha

Well, I'll be the first to tell a story, I'll probably tell many more in this thread, but I'll start with a song that basically saved my life.

Learning to Breathe by Switchfoot.

A few years ago I was in a really bad place in my life. I basically hated my father because he was always at work and he never had any time for me, and at 15 years old all I really wanted was attention and approval from my dad. Since he was never there though, I went into a horrible depression because I felt like I was useless because he wasn't acknowledging me really. Things just got really bad and my depression got worse and I got to the point where I wanted to kill myself. One night I came super close to overdosing on some Advil, luckily, there wasnt enough in the bottle to do much harm. I thought that it would help me feel numb to everything around me, when in all reality it just made things worse.

A couple days later though, I was listening to my iTunes and I forgot that I had put it on shuffle and the first song to come up was Learning to Breathe. When the song reached the chorus I was sobbing and realizing that there's more to life than I had thought. There was more to live for.

I'm learning to breathe

I'm learning to crawl

I'm finding that You and

You alone can break my fall

I'm living again, awake and alive

I'm dying to breathe in these abundant skies

Oh, and if anyone was wondering, me and my dad are good now. haha

Wow. I'm so sorry Faith.. But I'm glad you and your dad are okay now.

Scary.. :hug:

I'll post mine soon, but I'm eating atm!

Okay, here are a few of mine... If this thread starts to get more attention, I may put some more:

Summer Of '69 - Bryan Adams

I've always loved this song because it's basically a classic, but even though I now resent it, it still means a lot to me as it is the favourite song of somebody very important to me.

That person doesn't talk to me anymore and it still hurts, so I tend to put this song on a lot and think back to when she used to care. :/

Easy Target - Blink 182

This was the soundtrack to last summer for me. Haha. People who know this song will wonder why, but basically because Blink are fantastic and this song just rocks.

It always makes me think of my friend Alice who has stood by me, regardless of my being the worst friend in the world. Plus, it reminds me of a girl I used to be good friends with called Holly.

Not only is the song about a girl called Holly... But this girl also used to adore this track. That girl turned into a scene kid and only cared about myspace photo comments and how many guys she could get off with in one night.

You're probably thinking "why would you change your username to a song title that reminds you of a ex-friend you'd rather forget?" Well, because it shows I'm a bit of an easy target down to how many times I've been hurt by those I thought loved me, plus, it reminds me of the fun times we had before myspace took over.

Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) - Green Day

This reminds me of the best holiday of my life to date. The first time we went to Port De San Miguel in Ibiza. It was secluded, but beautiful and I made some great friends there.. Every night, after the nights entertainment, this song would be played and it would have everyone singing. Corny, but still!

This song also reminds me of Betty (Andalix on these boards), because she is one of my best friends and she adores Green Day.

Sunsets Are For Muggings - Leathermouth

There are some really prominent lyrics in this song which really stand out to me:

"i never found a place i felt i fit, i never met someone who gave a shit. but i believe in what we fucking got. now we have a chance to set it off"

Plus.. I bought LM's album XO the day my poor rabbit got killed, she had such a sweet personality and I was devasted to find her dead in our garden after being attacked by something.. (I think a cat).

So to try and get the image out of my head, I played the album full-blast whilst lying in bed with the covers over my head.. Leathermouth are extremely loud and angry, so you can probably understand that I must have been really upset to play them so loud. xD

Ironically, there is a photoshoot where the leathermouth members have rabbit masks on.. nice.

The End - My Chemical Romance

To keep it short and simple, this reminds me of the single greatest moment of my life so far.

funny this threads made now, this just happened to me yesterday.

this is the sound, by american hi-fi

Empty hearts can fill an empty room

Because of you

The sky above remaining clear and blue

It’s nothing new

The radio keeps playing static of favorite songs

Why does everyone keep on bringing me back to you?

And this is the sound

Of the broken down

And this is the last train home

The home beyond your ground

And this is the fall

Don’t catch me if I fall

Just catch me when I fall

Back to the ground

idk what it is about this song, but when my grandpop died last december this was the only song i listened to for a while. and now whenever it comes on i just burst out in tears

Swing Life Away -Rise Against

this was the first song i heard by the band which has now been my favourite for 4 years

this has been my favourite song since i heard it and it also helped my friend and i out when we were fighting

it was awful, we couldnt talk to each other with out attacking each other

then i told her to listen to swing life away at the same time i did and suddenly everything was ok again

Also, when i saw RA live last fall i was sick at the concert, i threw up twice at the concert and i felt horrid through the entire thing

then they played this song and i wasnt sick anymore

i love this song XD

Cancer-My Chemical Romance

um the story behind this one is that i had/have leukemia (blood cancer) and when i listen to it it makes me sad cause through diferent stuff ive met a few friends that have different types of cancer. and over half of them have died.

pretty sucky.

Hook Me Up-The Veronicas

story of my life.

im shure this song was written about me.

Wow. I'm so sorry Faith.. But I'm glad you and your dad are okay now.

Scary.. :hug:

I'll post mine soon, but I'm eating atm!

Yeah, it was definitely a shaking experience.

I love the meaning behind all of yours. Its amazing how music can really make us feel something special and take us back to such vivid memories.

Swing Life Away -Rise Against

this was the first song i heard by the band which has now been my favourite for 4 years

this has been my favourite song since i heard it and it also helped my friend and i out when we were fighting

it was awful, we couldnt talk to each other with out attacking each other

then i told her to listen to swing life away at the same time i did and suddenly everything was ok again

Also, when i saw RA live last fall i was sick at the concert, i threw up twice at the concert and i felt horrid through the entire thing

then they played this song and i wasnt sick anymore

i love this song XD

this song is amazing.

no, there isn't a word for it.

:]

Songs I associate with specific events or memories...I have quite a few but I'll throw these in for starters

Metallica - Ride The Lightning

I had a hard time acquiring new stuff to play in the first months after I got my first electric guitar when I was 15. I didn't know anything about the current music scene and I didn't even know what message boards were. My neighbour, who had played the guitar long before I even started, introduced me to this song, and more importantly, to it's guitar solo. I was floored by pretty much everything in it. It's length, the different techniques applied, the ridiculous amount of finger speed required...It was summer, and me and my family were going to our summer cottage, so I decided to bring my guitar with me and learn that solo as if it was the last thing I ever learn. Probably the best summer vacation I ever had. I would play hours upon hours, and if I ever needed a break, I would just take my shirt off and jump to the lake right next to the building. A memory I hope I won't ever forget.

Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon

Now this one was a paradigm shift in it's true sense. I downloaded an album called "100 greatest guitar solos" and this song was #98. I had never heard music this insane before, I could barely play anything in it! I started to get deeper into this band and they kept me occupied for a good 2-3 years and eventually opened up a totally new world of music. This band pretty much single-handedly guided my musical evolution to where I am now, and I owe it all to this song. Every time I hear it I go back to that pivotal :uhh:-moment.

JS Bach - Air In G

It was last summer, my grandfather's funeral. I was one of the 8 men carrying the coffin to the church where the ceremony took place. When we entered the church, the organist started playing this piece. I recognized it instantly. I had been on the verge of breaking into tears the whole day anyway but when the music started, the dams were opened. I cried. I cried harder than I had in 15 years or something. My grandfather was a very important figure to me, he was the first to take notice of my interest in music and instruments and also bought me my first electric guitar. He was a prolific composer and instrumentalist himself so I had always looked up to him. I can't listen to this beautiful piece of music anymore without my mind going back to that day.

Stanley Myers - Cavatina (theme from the movie Deer Hunter)

The memorial event afterwards. My grandmother had asked me to play something and so I did. This time it wasn't me crying, it was the audience! Once I stopped playing and looked into the audience, I was frightened for a moment. They all looked at me like I was the ghost of my grandfather! Almost everyone had tears in their eyes. You would think that getting this kind of reaction from the audience is a good thing, but I can't say I felt really good at that moment. This song is forever associated with that day as well.

Emilia Torrini - Jungle Drum

I was in the army. This was the first song I heard after our return to the barracks from our exercise in the arctic circle. Two weeks. Effing two weeks, living like cavemen in the icy Lapland. Someone accurately described that place as an IRL version of Northrend. :)

Needless to say, after our return, everything felt pretty surreal. Hearing music felt like it just bounced off my ears rather than sinking in. I remember thinking "is this really happening?" A really cool moment, when I think back to it now.

basically, the song i'm about to name has lead me through many, many tough times. it has pulled me through countless tears; emotions; tantrums, and various acts i am not and never will be proud of. it reminds me that no matter how bad things get, someone has always got it worse and that even though things can't always be fixed, we can adapt and we can move on and we can change and we can live. i owe this song my life. i'm sure you can all relate to it in the same manner.

it goes:

"humpty dumpty sat on a wall, humpty dumpty had a great fall, all the kings horses and all the kings men, couldn't put humpty together again"

deep, man. deep.

basically, the song i'm about to name has lead me through many, many tough times. it has pulled me through countless tears; emotions; tantrums, and various acts i am not and never will be proud of. it reminds me that no matter how bad things get, someone has always got it worse and that even though things can't always be fixed, we can adapt and we can move on and we can change and we can live. i owe this song my life. i'm sure you can all relate to it in the same manner.

it goes:

"humpty dumpty sat on a wall, humpty dumpty had a great fall, all the kings horses and all the kings men, couldn't put humpty together again"

deep, man. deep.

:rotfl:

For some reason I despise these kinds of threads.

Five Finger Death Punch-The Way Of The Fist

Not a huge story. It just has a I hate everything vibe to it. Seeing as I seem to hate just about everything. There you go.

Hybrid Theory-And One

I associate to this song because it is about separating away from society. If you know me, I'll leave it as that.

That's all I can be bothered to do at the moment

Cancer-My Chemical Romance

um the story behind this one is that i had/have leukemia (blood cancer) and when i listen to it it makes me sad cause through diferent stuff ive met a few friends that have different types of cancer. and over half of them have died.

pretty sucky.

I am so sorry. :hug:

Yeah, it was definitely a shaking experience.

I love the meaning behind all of yours. Its amazing how music can really make us feel something special and take us back to such vivid memories.

At least you pulled through and came out stronger!

Thanks, you're right.

If you desipe "self indulgent" threads, don't make them yourself.

ooooof meow ! i never said despised, i have absoultely nothing against them as threads and infact some of the replies make a good read. now, it's the self-indulgence i have issues with- as in indulging within myself. i don't do personal on t'interwebs.

that is all.

ooooof meow ! i never said despised, i have absoultely nothing against them as threads and infact some of the replies make a good read. now, it's the self-indulgence i have issues with- as in indulging within myself. i don't do personal on t'interwebs.

that is all.

I didn't actually mean you Jorgi, I meant James as he said he despises them yet he made that therapy one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

no, not the Ashley Parker Angel song

What are some songs that describe your life and/or parts of your life? Songs that you can relate to. The songs that describe your current situation or feelings better than you ever could? Songs that you listen to and go "Hey, that's EXACTLY how I feel."

List them and explain why.

just naming these two for now

Girlfriend related songs haha:

Mr Right - A Rocket To The Moon

This song perfectly describes how I feel about my girlfriend and I.

It's about a beautiful girl who's "perfect" and could get any guy she wanted, yet she chose someone who's "out of her league" and simply not comparable.

The boy feels that she deserves better. He's scared he'll never be good enough for her.

He loves her, and he knows she loves him too, but he's scared that maybe someday she'll find somebody better than him.

"you could be the best of me

when i'm the worst for you"

My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend - Relient K

No need to explain. My girlfriend's ex dumped her over a text, he realized how stupid he was and wants her back.. but it's too late because she's mine now and I owe it all to him :P

"He’s the guy that you should feel sorry for

He had the world, but he thought that he wanted more

I owe it all to the mistake he made back then

I owe it all to my girl’s ex-boyfriend

If it wasn't for him, I would still be searching

If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't know my best friend

If it wasn't for him, he would be able to see

That if it wasn't for him, he'd be as happy as me"

What I don't get is why songs have to have "relatable" lyrics at all to be enjoyed (not that saying that's specifically you Jeff, but I sometimes hear other people say they can't relate to music because of the lyrics) and to be considered part of one's soundtrack to their life.

I listen to a lot of stuff that is entirely instrumental that could be interpreted in a number of different ways and a lot of avant-garde stuff that has really abstract lyrics that make seemingly no sense on paper, but yet the emotions in these songs are often highly compatible with the way I feel

Harry, I don't think Jedd is saying it has to have relatable lyrics to be enjoyable. He's just saying that there are some songs that you hear that are just like... "BAM! THATS MY LIFE!"

I'm going to work on this Jedd. I already have a playlist of "My Life" but its from back before I started university so I really need to reassess it.