UK Election

RenegadeRoss

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next one feat. Brown/Cameron/Clegg is Thursday. However Scotland/NI/Wales get their very own ones tonight (I think it's all of them)

Oh right.

Nick Clegg was in Swansea yesterday. My old Art Teacher who is like one of those old hippie guys protested against him. :lol: I have no idea what he was protesting against, but the police had to wrestle him to the ground. There's pictures all over the Evening paper today.

Anyone watch tonight's debate?

I watched it being as unbiased as possible :P And thought David Cameron was crap. When the other guys said something good he always said "I agree" and contradicted himself a few times I thought.

Nick Clegg won me over, Gordon Brown was decent. Ideally for me I would say from watching tonight's debate I would like a Lib Dem/Labour joint government. I like some of the Lib Dem policies but disagree with others, where Labour have better judgment.

I've probably come across as anti-conservative already, but I actually don't know what their policies are :???: They just seem to say they want to help families "do the right thing" without saying what "the right thing" is.

Lib Dems just edging it for me.

No one stood out for me really, all seemed very bland and repetitive.

Clegg/Cameron: "I think this should happen".

Cameron/Clegg: "I don't".

Brown: "I think Labour are doing that very well at the moment".

The best question was the one about the Pope, was expecting the guy to be a sympathiser but ended up tearing right into him. Quality.

I thought Cameron and Clegg didn't know what to say about the pope/catholic church question. They seemed to be indecisive but Brown was straight away out with his opinion - it was clear, no stuttering, no hesitation etc. Showed his experience imo.

I don't think Cameron or Clegg were really prepared for it either. You could sense that they didn't want to rush into an answer for fear of alienating the Roman Catholic vote (Cameron) or the non-RC vote (Clegg). At least Brown admitted to being Presbyterian and to a lesser extent Clegg for admitting a lack of faith (at least I'm sure that's what he said).

I don't think Cameron or Clegg were really prepared for it either. You could sense that they didn't want to rush into an answer for fear of alienating the Roman Catholic vote (Cameron) or the non-RC vote (Clegg). At least Brown admitted to being Presbyterian and to a lesser extent Clegg for admitting a lack of faith (at least I'm sure that's what he said).

Yeah Clegg said he wasn't religious but his wife was catholic.

• 2 weeks later...

Voting is tomorrow.

Definitely going to vote Labour, even if the whole system is messed up.

It's going to be a hung parliament for sure.

Current election polls are:

Conservative 35%

Labour 29%

Lib Dem 26%

Others 10%

Translated into seats at the House of Commons, this is:

Labour 272

Conservatives 270

Lib Dem 79

Others 29

If that is how the election finished, it’d be a Hung Parliament with no party able to run the UK, unless they formed an alliance with another party.

Nick Clegg says that if the Lib Dems had an alliance with Labour, he would want to be Prime Minister, which Labour would never agree to. I don’t wanna think about the Conservatives actually getting into power.

A hung parliament would force the parties to work together to pass laws, make changes, etc

Sources: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8609989.stm and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8280050.stm

Nick Clegg says that if the Lib Dems had an alliance with Labour, he would want to be Prime Minister, which Labour would never agree to. I don’t wanna think about the Conservatives actually getting into power.

I might've misheard but I thought Clegg said he woudn't form a hung parliament if Brown was the PM? I think this is the opening for Milliband to be PM. Labour retain power and kick out the unpopular PM in one swift swoop. Unlikely but I wouldn't put it past them.

I might've misheard but I thought Clegg said he woudn't form a hung parliament if Brown was the PM? I think this is the opening for Milliband to be PM. Labour retain power and kick out the unpopular PM in one swift swoop. Unlikely but I wouldn't put it past them.

What I meant, was that Labour could form an alliance with the Lib Dems to keep the Conservatives out if it was a hung parliament. In that situation, Clegg said he wouldn't let Brown be PM.

If Milliband was running instead of Brown, I bet Labour would be ahead in the polls.

Brown is better as a chancellor anyway.

I wish I could get into politics more since its the first time I can vote but I just cant understand it.

I do feel sorry for gordon - he always looks so sad lol

If you're posh or rich vote Conservative

If you're working class vote Labour

Been and voted this morning, and I'd just like to say that The Sun are a load of absolute bastards.

Lib Dems haven't joined up with either party yet.

I think the Lib Dems would be better off with Labour to be honest, since Labour have more to lose, Labour can offer them a sweeter deal.

Labour have talked up an actual coalition with the Lib Dems, where-as the Conservatives would be the ruling party but if the Lib Dems supported some of their plans, they would support Lib Dem plans in return - kind of a "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" kind of thing - except Cameron has ruled out changing his stance on Trident and Europe - two big things the Lib Dems disagreed on.

And if the Lib Dems don't form a coalition with either party, Labour will remain in power.

I reckon we'll have another election before the end of the year because it's such a mess.

The conservatives don't have enough votes to form a government. They only have 36% when all previous Conservative leaders who won elections had over 40% of the vote. (I'm actually extremely unhappy with the Conservative gains in Wales, but I won't rant about that now :P But on the plus side Labour won by 10,500 votes here over their nearest rivals, the Lib Dems 8-))

The Lib Dems despite having 6million votes overall will have less than 60 seats in parliament compared with the 250+ seats Labour have with about 9 million votes.

If I were Nick Clegg I wouldn't side with either party. Instead I would remain neutral and as a result Labour would remain in power. The Conservatives would be pissed, and I would say to change the voting system so the Lib Dems can have more seats in parliament. Making them stronger in the long-run. Another election in 6 months time, and boom the Lib Dems could have more power.

Re-Election think of all the people that didnt get to vote and got turned away only seems fair...Since this is such a mess.

If they dont side with anyone is a re-election not held within a couple of weeks?

Off topic ish:

Someone called me at work today wanting to register for the election and i was like uhh it was yesterday and they were like oh! was it! Where was he living lol!

If they dont side with anyone is a re-election not held within a couple of weeks?

Not sure to be honest, I'd be guessing it'd be a few months time. Would take a huge amount of work to send out 30million+ ballot papers all over again.

being nick clegg this weekend can't be easy - the maths tell him to go with cameron, while his parties policies (i think) are far closer to labours'.

i wouldn't say im anti-tory, i cant even vote yet ffs, but a government with them in power could mean big problems up here; there is only one conservative seat in scotland so clearly my country does not want this 'english' government that could well be ahead of us. saying that, i do think it would be a more practical option for the lib-dems to team up with them. whatever happens, we're going to need another election this year to (try to) establish things and i don't think anyone really knows what the outcome will be. perhaps the tories will manage a majority if they do some financial good this year while lib dem may will gain a good chunk more seats thus making them the opposition. i feel as if i want to contradict myself a bit hah, but everythings so up in the air right now i'm not totally sure what my opinion is. but i do think gordon brown should step down, probably to let david millaband fill his shoes. of course that leaves us with a leader that has not been elected, but he could turn on doing a pretty good job - which could leave labour with a majorty in a re-election.

who the fuck knows. how about eddie izzard for labour leader? that would work.