Photo editing softwares?

PlayingHades

Ah, so ive been looking at some of you guy's icons and banners, wallpapers, in the images board, and I was wondering, what programs do you recomend? At the moment i use gimp, and im confused about how you get the 'lighting' effect. well it looks like lighting anyway xD It's like a random brightness in some spots of the avatar/image.

I was also wondering what programs besides gimp do you recomend using for editing images?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

well i used GIMP and it was alright, not too bad. i did fine with it. i wasn't sure how to do anything really lol

but then i got photoshop lol

ps im moving this to the graphics section

Well if you get your program's screenshot, I can tell you how to get 'lighting' efect. I'm using Adobe Photoshop CS2. It's really so useful. If you can't understand anything from GIMP or you can't make anything, you have to use Photoshop I think.

Anyway, just post here the program's screenshot and I'll try to understand what can you do to making a 'lighting' efect. ;)

oookkaaay, just there's a brush thingy on 8th line, so you should click on it. Then make a new layer on your stuff. Later, choose what do you want light's color. And click on the stuff. :lol:

Well, I don't know how works CS5 really. :lol: It should be more useful than CS2, right? :lol:

Thanks it worked ;D

I have another question, if that's ok, the examples basically in your signature, how it's two seperate images, but she's like cropped out of one image, and in the other. i don't know how to do that, ive been trying to learn for awhile, but i just can't figure out how :P do you know how to do that, and if you do, do you mind telling me?