Board Update Question

Hey all,

Several of us mods/admins/regular members have been discussing how much of a change these boards need. Besides just that the chat and games sections don't work, we're running an old version of vBulletin, and I think we can all agree that the layouts and themes leave much to be desired.

Dustin (aka Bitter) and I have been discussing this since at least January or February, and we recently talked to Brent about how switching the boards from vBulletin to Invision Power Boards would benefit ParamoreFans a lot.

He agreed with us completely, so with that said, we would like to go ahead and make the switch. I think the best part of all of this is that we won't lose any information in doing so. We'd get to keep everything we do love about the boards but improve everything we agree could use some major fixing.

The problem we're running into is money. It's $149.99 to make the switch, and we don't have the money to do this just within the admins and mods, so I would like to ask all of you this:

If we promised a switch to newer, better message boards, would anyone be willing to donate money towards it?

It doesn't have to be a big donation, $1 if you can, more if you'd like, and no one will be made to feel guilty if they can't contribute (I think plenty of us can relate to being poor students, myself included). We'll do our best to cover what donations don't, but we definitely need some help.

If we make the switch, it shouldn't take very long, and Dustin will even be skinning the boards so that they match the main site, free of cost to us.

Here's a link to the Invision Power website, which shows everything we could potentially do for the boards if we make the switch, so feel free to look around, and then let us know what you think about this whole donation idea:

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/

There's nowhere to donate to yet because we all wanted to propose the idea first before we asked for anything.

EDIT:

Soooo....

Long story short, even though Brent had originally decided that it'd be okay to ask for donations from you guys, he thought it over, and after talking to Dustin about the board conversion, he decided it was unfair to ask you guys to pay for any of it.

That said, he has decided to cover the entire cost of switching over the boards, which actually goes past what we were looking for donations to cover, because he is awesome!

So instead of sending money, wait until after the boards have been converted, and send your PMs to thebrowncoat thanking him.

Thanks to everybody who was willing to reach into their own pockets to help the boards. It was very, very much appreciated!

Arsey joke comments by you aside ;-)

Merely a question rather than a suggestion. There's only roughly about 150 members on here daily, as far as I see, so they'd all just donate a dollar in a perfect worldand hey presto, done. Now we all know that's not the case. But if there was some form of incentive, maybe more members would be enticed into donating. I was hardly asking for a section to be named after me or anything. Though I wouldn't knock it. 8-);-)

What would be the recommended donation? I'd donate what I could but I'm not exactly made of money ;-)

You'd be allowed to donate whatever you deem appropriate. If you want to donate $0.50 to $5, it's up to you. We're certainly not asking for anyone to donate $140. :P

Aside from the boards obviously being better and benefiting everyone, would there be any personal advantages to donating?

Dustin would be the better person to answer this because he works with IP Boards every day, but check out these links. I think they're pretty cool features:

- Private conversations (that aren't PMs)

- Customized profile pages

- Status updates

- The possibility of Twitter and Facebook integration.

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/features/profiles.php

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/features/interaction.php

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/features/integration.php