Board Update Question

What would be the recommended donation? I'd donate what I could but I'm not exactly made of money ;-)

Recommended donations are anything that's at least $1. Honestly, we're not asking for much, but if not enough people donate, we might need to have a bake sale or car wash to afford the rest, haha.

Aside from the boards obviously being better and benefiting everyone, would there be any personal advantages to donating?

Personal advantages. I could go on and on about this. Glad you asked.

In addition to a much more advanced and user-friendly system, IP.Board is full of user-created content, or Applications, as they are known to those who are savvy enough to catch this hip lingo haha. The limits are endless, but right out of the box, IP.Board provides a full reputation system with no trickery needed to get it to work.

It has customizable profiles. What does that mean? It means you can personally change your profile background to any image you want, even have it tile, or position it how you want, similar to Twitter backgrounds in a sense.

The design of IP.Board is very sleek, and I personally will skin the forums to match the website, and include the header links to other parts of the site, so when you come to the forums, you aren't leaving PF, you will still be well within reach of the whole website.

IP.Board is the first forum software to feature huge amounts of social networking capabilities. You can send a topic, post, status update, and more to twitter, facebook, stumbleupon, digg, email it, buzz it, send to readdit, and print. It makes social networking easy. You can even log in through twitter or facebook connect right to IP.Board on PF. Never again will you forget your login and have no alternatives. As I mentioned slightly above, there are status updates. These work exactly like Facebook. You update your status, and anyone can see it in their timeline. People can comment on your status as well. And another feature just like Facebook, are notifications. You will receive a notification when someone comments on your status, sends you a private message, and more. You can adjust the settings for notifications however you want, to also include a notification when someone quotes you in a post, or replies to a topic, etc. IP.Board is FULL of social networking perks. No sacrifices needed. It's all built in, so posting to twitter or facebook is 1 click, no having to go through a ton of pages to authorize anything.

Sidebar. A collapsable sidebar is included with IP.Board. This sidebar will display on the right side of the page, and you can customize it to display top posters, status updates, a mini calendar, latest topics, latest gallery images, and all kinds of things. This is indeed also customizeable, so you can order the contents of the sidebar however you want. We can also add and remove content from it, and even make our own custom content specifically for PF. For those who don't want a sidebar, just click the X next to it, and it goes away.

Easy PMs! Have you ever wanted to PM someone from inside a topic, or from the forum index, but find yourself have to find the person's username...then go to their profile...then click send a PM...then go to a page where the PM is typed up, then send it. That's a lot of steps, huh? Well with IP.Board, all you have to do is click the arrow next to someone's name, and a popup will display options such as...email them, PM them, view their content, add them as a friend, and even their # of posts, status updates, etc. all in a little box that overlays the board when clicked, and the best part is, if you choose to PM them or send them any notification, it is done all within the box, never leaving whatever page you are on, even after sending the message, so you are never taken away from the content you are viewing.

I can easily go on for hours about this, but I'd rather you ask specific questions so I can go into detail about those. I guarantee you will love this. Just let me know what you want to know, and I'll definitely answer your questions.

I work directly with the company that makes this software as a Community Developer, and I can assure you there are some amazing FREE application downloads that we have available and many more coming in the near future.

Arsey joke comments by you aside ;-)

Merely a question rather than a suggestion. There's only roughly about 150 members on here daily, as far as I see, so they'd all just donate a dollar in a perfect worldand hey presto, done. Now we all know that's not the case. But if there was some form of incentive, maybe more members would be enticed into donating. I was hardly asking for a section to be named after me or anything. Though I wouldn't knock it. 8-);-)

I thought of this as well and discussed it with Chriss. However, we do know that many people are young, and don't have access to a PayPal account, or a credit card, or don't have permission from their parents. There are also people who just don't like to donate, and that's ok, since it is a donation, not a requirement, but yea, we just hope we can get enough donations from people. We don't know what the tally will be, but we hope people will be able to.

This sounds pretty good, however is it worth $140? :P

If I were to show you what makes up a forum software, you would be amazed. I know I was when I first got involved years ago. There are literally tens of thousands of files necessary to make IP.Board. There is THAT much that goes into coding something as complex as this. IP.Board is actually even cheaper than vBulletin (our current software on PF). vBulletin is also internally imploding, which is why a move to IP.Board should be done soon before all hell breaks loose within the vBulletin company. But I'll save that info for another time ;)

Actually, a free application called IP.Chat comes with IP.Board but it only allows up to 5 people at a time to talk. For an additional price, you can add more people, but luckily, there's free alternatives, including a built in IRC application, and shoutboxes. My fellow Community Developers and I even release IP.Shoutbox, a free shoutbox for IP.Board. Lots of possibilities that all work very well.

Full list of applications are here: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/category/103-applications/

Wish there was a way to sift through them, but I am actually in the middle of redesigning the Resources section of Invision Power Services...so I can't reveal that stuff yet ;)

Also, almost forgot to mention, Invision Power Services has an iPhone/iPod touch app!

This app allows you to add all your forums that you visit (that use IP.Board) to a list, and visit those forums through the application and view all of them on a very easy to use mobile iPhone native interface. It's a thing of beauty. You can post, make topics, view profiles, send messages, view gallery, downloads, blogs, status updates, etc. SO much stuff from a mobile app. It's much easier than trying to view a full forum on a phone and having to constantly scroll and tap to click on tiny buttons. And it's FREE. All IP.Board forums work on it, so once we update PF, you can use the app to view PF with no added work done by us. It will automatically work perfectly with the app.

EDIT: forgot to mention, an Andoid and Blackberry app is also in the works!

Dustin's the ninja in the databases, as demonstrated by my custom user title, haha.

And dang at the IRC chat. I haven't used an IRC chat since I was 14! It would be cool though.

I keep forgetting things. Forgive me. Here is an overview of the iPhone app: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/311218-ips-introduces-iphone-app-for-ipboard-communities/

But let's say you DON'T have an iPhone or iPod touch right now? Easy. All IP.Boards come with a mobile skin that looks exactly like the iPhone app. All you have to do, when using a mobile device using the internet and viewing the board, is to choose "Mobile" in the skin selector at the bottom of the page, and the site will automatically work in a mobile-friendly way, exactly like the iPhone app.

Dustin's the ninja in the databases, as demonstrated by my custom user title, haha.

And dang at the IRC chat. I haven't used an IRC chat since I was 14! It would be cool though.

hahahah it's so true lol

Also, almost forgot to mention, Invision Power Services has an iPhone/iPod touch app!

This app allows you to add all your forums that you visit (that use IP.Board) to a list, and visit those forums through the application and view all of them on a very easy to use mobile iPhone native interface. It's a thing of beauty. You can post, make topics, view profiles, send messages, view gallery, downloads, blogs, status updates, etc. SO much stuff from a mobile app. It's much easier than trying to view a full forum on a phone and having to constantly scroll and tap to click on tiny buttons. And it's FREE. All IP.Board forums work on it, so once we update PF, you can use the app to view PF with no added work done by us. It will automatically work perfectly with the app.

EDIT: forgot to mention, an Andoid and Blackberry app is also in the works!

this would actually make my life SO much easier

it's a huge hassle to check up on the boards while i'm on my iphone but i do it fairly often

There's also a video chat app. Not sure how well it works, but it looks like Jessica Alba uses it too! Haha, see her there in the corner? (Okay, maybe it's not actually her.)

352q1rt.png

I like the iPhone app too. I have an iPod Touch, and it's difficult visiting the boards on it. That'd help a lot.

is there an app or something that would let us use our own emoticons?

i think that would be pretty neat tbh

You can add emoticon packs just like importing a skin. You just download the emoticon pack, and there is a simple import method the admins can do. So to answer your question, yes, there is. You just can't have your own separate emoticons than anyone else. That's a nice idea, though. I may pass that along to my friend who makes modifications. Unless one is already made, in that case, I might look it up lol

It's very, VERY VERY easy to add in a bunch of emoticons.

I am really interested in this whole developing/designing stuff and I know how some Admin CPs work so I really liked everything Dustin had to say haha.

I can't wait to get into all sorts of website/developing stuff like this after college.

This all sounds really amazing. It would be great to see this on here. As for donating, I'm not sure yet. It's a "maybe" as of right now. We'll see.

Soooo....

Long story short, even though Brent had originally decided that it'd be okay to ask for donations from you guys, he thought it over, and after talking to Dustin about the board conversion, he decided it was unfair to ask you guys to pay for any of it.

That said, he has decided to cover the entire cost of switching over the boards, which actually goes past what we were looking for donations to cover, because he is awesome!

So instead of sending money, wait until after the boards have been converted, and send your PMs to thebrowncoat thanking him. :)

Thanks to everybody who was willing to reach into their own pockets to help the boards. It was very, very much appreciated!