Hayley - One Life One Chance

Catie

Go straight-edge! Really the only reason I started claiming edge was because when people asked me if I wanted a drink or a cigarette, saying, "No thanks, I'm straight-edge," ended the conversation. There was no pressure after that, and I'm surprised people respected that. But for the kids who don't want to get into all that stuff and don't have such supportive friends, I'm glad Toby's going around talking about it to let them know they don't have to and they're not alone.

I've talked to Hayley about straight-edge and how she doesn't claim it but it's still basically the lifestyle she lives, and I think that's awesome!

That was a really great video. I definitely agree with everything Hayley said. Drinking or doing drugs is not something anyone has to do. You choose it for yourself, and if you don't want to, then don't. I think it's a lot easier to respect people who turn down a drink, rather than make fun of them for not. I will never understand people who make a big deal out of drinking or drugs.

Also, Hayley is beyond adorable at the end of the video. But you already knew that.

i could go on such a big rant about this right now lol. for me personally, i drink, i'm gonna be bluntly honest, i have done drugs recreationally.. but i'd die before becoming an addict. i would never want to or would do them on a daily basis. ever. and to be honest i really don't think there's anything wrong with what i'm doing now. i'm not doing it cause i wanna be "cool" i'm not doing it cause i'm being pressured into it. i'm not doing it to rebel. i'm doing it cause occasionally i want to. i'm not harming anyone. honestly for me, i don't care what people do.. if they drink, do drugs, or don't do either, or just drink but no drugs... i really don't care, personally i'm not gonna judge people for doing what they want to. obviously it's devastating if people become drug addicts. but on a simple level, i'm not gonna judge anyone or put anyone down for their choices or beliefs in life. i'm a open minded person and i'd never force anyone to drink or do drugs just cause i might. yeah i might not always agree with other people's beliefs but i can just sit back and accept their opinion. What i love about hayley is that she has her set of beliefs, of opinions, she doesn't drink, do drugs, smoke, whatever. but she doesn't judge anyone else for it, she might not agree with it but she's not gonna shove her beliefs down other people's throats, she doesn't drink anymore cause she felt pressured into it and she didn't like it, which is completely understandable, i respect that i really do, i didn't really drink properly, well get drunk until i was 16/17, because i wasn't ready. i truly believe that no one should be forced into doing something(like drinking, having sex etc). if you don't want to or you're not ready or whatever, that is totally your decision. what annoys me is when people are all high and mighty and act like their better everyone else cause they don't drink or whatever and then put everyone else down for it. i couldn't care less.. you don't see me going around putting down people who don't do all that stuff.. i respect that if people don't wanna do that then that's their decision, whatever. haha. so much not having a big rant. lol.

i could go on such a big rant about this right now lol. for me personally, i drink, i'm gonna be bluntly honest, i have done drugs recreationally.. but i'd die before becoming an addict. i would never want to or would do them on a daily basis. ever. and to be honest i really don't think there's anything wrong with what i'm doing now. i'm not doing it cause i wanna be "cool" i'm not doing it cause i'm being pressured into it. i'm not doing it to rebel. i'm doing it cause occasionally i want to. i'm not harming anyone. honestly for me, i don't care what people do.. if they drink, do drugs, or don't do either, or just drink but no drugs... i really don't care, personally i'm not gonna judge people for doing what they want to. obviously it's devastating if people become drug addicts. but on a simple level, i'm not gonna judge anyone or put anyone down for their choices or beliefs in life. i'm a open minded person and i'd never force anyone to drink or do drugs just cause i might. yeah i might not always agree with other people's beliefs but i can just sit back and accept their opinion. What i love about hayley is that she has her set of beliefs, of opinions, she doesn't drink, do drugs, smoke, whatever. but she doesn't judge anyone else for it, she might not agree with it but she's not gonna shove her beliefs down other people's throats, she doesn't drink anymore cause she felt pressured into it and she didn't like it, which is completely understandable, i respect that i really do, i didn't really drink properly, well get drunk until i was 16/17, because i wasn't ready. i truly believe that no one should be forced into doing something(like drinking, having sex etc). if you don't want to or you're not ready or whatever, that is totally your decision. what annoys me is when people are all high and mighty and act like their better everyone else cause they don't drink or whatever and then put everyone else down for it. i couldn't care less.. you don't see me going around putting down people who don't do all that stuff.. i respect that if people don't wanna do that then that's their decision, whatever. haha. so much not having a big rant. lol.

+1

Preachy, "I'm morally superior to you" straight edge people and drug addicts are two kinds of people that can fuck right off.

The former type because no, they are not fucking superior to me (in fact probably inferior because they'reclose minded, arrogant cunts) and the latter, because they ruin it for the people like me and you who choose to just use drugs responsibly without harming others.

Interestingly enough, I'm going through kinda the same train of thought as her (well, I am basically the same age anyway, heh).

I used to drink to fit in and would drink even at times when I didn't feel comfortable doing, and also engaged in sexual activity when I was really wasted that I later regretted and got pushed into doing things I didn't want to do.

I did used to smoke cigarettes, but that was my own personal decision (in retrospect, of course a very stupid and money wasting decision). I first quit smoking in late 2008, but continued social smoking (well, cos it didn't cost money cos I just got them off other people), but quit entirely for health reasons and one day just finding it an ultra repulsive thing to do.

Kinda over the whole party thing too. Last party I went too, one of my best friends got really wasted and ended up having sex with this really gross chick, which he later regretted and some chick got super wasted and slashed both her wrists.

I didn't drink at all that night, so really saw the effects of what alcohol can do to you in binging quantities.

Have had 4 beers in the last 2 months, and don't plan to drink for a few months yet.

I'm a musician, and of course, like 99 per cent of musicians, I'm fucking broke, so I have a choice of spending my money on booze, or actually using my money for things that will contribute to me having a better life. I chose the latter.

I still smoke pot on occasion (key word, occasion, I'm not stoned all day, every day), because unlike alcohol and cigarettes it never ever makes me feel like shit physically, or about myself and I'm just a really peaceful, perceptive person when I'm stoned.

Funnily enough, I used to be super anti-pot, but then I actually tried properly for myself, and it made me so much more open minded about it. I like the fact that if I said to Hayley that I smoke pot, she would be cool with it, and just say it's not for her, and I'd be totally cool with the fact it's not for her.

To me the only people who make a big deal out of the people drinking alcohol or taking drugs is the people who DONT do them.

Not necessarily. I actually know a kid who was straight-edge until he got to college. Then he went from preaching about straight-edge to preaching about how drinking and partying was awesome and everyone should do it. He even told me that being drug-free was lame. I think it's just a personality thing.

Yeah i definitely see your point Ross because there are alot of people who don't do it and make a big deal about it but also I don't think that is always true saying they're the only ones who make a huge deal over it. I know so many people that brag and make huge deals about them going to parties drinking and smoking (weed). It's apparently the 'cool' thing to tell everyone and make a huge deal about it.

Personally, I don't care. If someone wants to party then go ahead if someone wants to be straight-edge or just not do those things than thats cool too! It doesn't really matter to me and won't change my opinion of you. Unless the drinking gets to the point where my dad is than theres a problem. Also, I just hope people are responsible about it because I know how it feels to loose someone due to car accidents by drunk drivers so thats a big deal for me. As long as people are responsible i don't have a problem with it at all.

To me the only people who make a big deal out of the people drinking alcohol or taking drugs is the people who DONT do them.

word. im pretty anti-drugs, but i don't have anything against people who experiment or whatever - it just does not appeal to me and never will.

That's you tellt. I totally see what you mean too.

haaaa. aye, it looked better before.

i agree. i know few of those people. the worst thing is when they try to moralize you, come on :roll:

Yeah i definitely see your point Ross because there are alot of people who don't do it and make a big deal about it but also I don't think that is always true saying they're the only ones who make a huge deal over it. I know so many people that brag and make huge deals about them going to parties drinking and smoking (weed). It's apparently the 'cool' thing to tell everyone and make a huge deal about it.

Personally, I don't care. If someone wants to party then go ahead if someone wants to be straight-edge or just not do those things than thats cool too! It doesn't really matter to me and won't change my opinion of you. Unless the drinking gets to the point where my dad is than theres a problem. Also, I just hope people are responsible about it because I know how it feels to loose someone due to car accidents by drunk drivers so thats a big deal for me. As long as people are responsible i don't have a problem with it at all.

People bragging about smoking weed?

Now that's just fucking retarded. Maybe I just live in a cave or something, but I always assumed it was a drug that was looked down upon by most of society and not perceived to be cool at all to use it.

In terms of never fitting in well when I was at school, being a total dork, sorta shy and awkward, and until this year, skinny for my whole life, I'm pretty much the definition of "uncool" yet I still smoke it.

Hell, partly what drew me to it was that a lot of the users don't give a fuck about "cool" or not, they're just really open minded people and peaceful, and I loved that aspect about it. There seemed to be no ego about it, no pretentious bullshit.

I also used to smoke cigarettes, so certainly throws out the idea only the "in crowd/popular/cool" people smoke.

Never understood being proud and loud about a cigarette smoking habit. I wasn't proud of it at all......if anything I was ashamed at the time to smoke and still am ashamed about having been a smoker.

i've met meet people who bragged about drinking and stuff too, at school, not everyone did, it was only a minority of idiots in my year who were attention seeking, insecure idiots basically. both sides of the argument of straight edge and not straight edge both "brag" about it.. they probably do it as much as each other.. which is wrong really cause people should be able to respect other people's opinions and leave it alone. anyone who feels the need to brag about something like that and put others down about it is obviously in need of attention and very insecure.. cause the majority of people who drink, don't really think anything of it, if people don't drink people don't really care.. if they're happy with that, whatever, i think some people use it as a charade for their insecurities and problems they have. and also at that age (13-16) people wanna fit in, and unfortunetly some people think they need to do that through drinking.. but i've found when i got to college, people don't make a big deal out of it and respect other people's business.

don't get me wrong i'm not like "pro drugs" or anything, i've watched a friend from college go through drug addiction, she changed into a totally different person in the space of just under a year, but she had a really difficult home life as well.. so it's not like that helped. but she's alright now. but if people wanna do them recrerationally then i don't see the problem, i don't think it's cool or whatever, i just do it cause i find it fun. i don't see the problem if it's not harming anyone and it's not turning into an addiction. it's great that you have your beliefs, which i totally understand. but you're not gonna put other people down for not sharing your belief.

i've met meet people who bragged about drinking and stuff too, at school, not everyone did, it was only a minority of idiots in my year who were attention seeking, insecure idiots basically. both sides of the argument of straight edge and not straight edge both "brag" about it.. they probably do it as much as each other.. which is wrong really cause people should be able to respect other people's opinions and leave it alone. anyone who feels the need to brag about something like that and put others down about it is obviously in need of attention and very insecure.. cause the majority of people who drink, don't really think anything of it, if people don't drink people don't really care.. if they're happy with that, whatever, i think some people use it as a charade for their insecurities and problems they have. and also at that age (13-16) people wanna fit in, and unfortunetly some people think they need to do that through drinking.. but i've found when i got to college, people don't make a big deal out of it and respect other people's business.

don't get me wrong i'm not like "pro drugs" or anything, i've watched a friend from college go through drug addiction, she changed into a totally different person in the space of just under a year, but she had a really difficult home life as well.. so it's not like that helped. but she's alright now. but if people wanna do them recrerationally then i don't see the problem, i don't think it's cool or whatever, i just do it cause i find it fun. i don't see the problem if it's not harming anyone and it's not turning into an addiction. it's great that you have your beliefs, which i totally understand. but you're not gonna put other people down for not sharing your belief.

Ueah you're right i think it's really stupid to brag either way about it. I don't tell anyone if I do those things or not because I believe it's not anyone's business but my own to know.

I was just saying most of the kids I know that drink/do drugs talk about it constantly and brag about it all of the time. I also know people who don't do that and brag about that also.

Oh, you are totally right. I don't think anyone should be put down because their beliefs aren't the same. I actually hate it when people do that. As i said before, i dont really care i'm not the type of person to put someone down if they decide to do drugs/drink or if they decide not to. As long as people are safe, it's all good. It doesn't change my opinion of them at all. Thats their choice.

This video is great, it's made me respect Hayley even more.

And I understand what she's saying. A lot of my friends drink even though they're pretty young to be doing it and I've hardly ever drunk alcohol before, since my parents haven't let me. But my friends have been arranging parties and things recently which will involve quite a lot of drink, and I've been looking forward to so to finally be allowed a drink. But this video has really showed me that the only reason I want to drink is because my friends are doing it. Although I don't think I'll ever go straight edge I can't see myself ever being a 'partier' or someone who drinks a lot, especially at a young age like some of my friends.

• 1 month later...