The Pope visiting the UK

RenegadeRoss

We never have debates or opinion threads really on here. I was just intersted in to what peoples opinions of this are?

I dont know TOO much about it, but ive heard the tax payers are paying for this? IF this is true then im not too happy. Im not a religious person and i generally dont care for the pope visiting here so why the hell am i paying for it? Why does it even need to be paid for? Someone please enlighten me.

We never have debates or opinion threads really on here. I was just intersted in to what peoples opinions of this are?

I dont know TOO much about it, but ive heard the tax payers are paying for this? IF this is true then im not too happy. Im not a religious person and i generally dont care for the pope visiting here so why the hell am i paying for it? Why does it even need to be paid for? Someone please enlighten me.

The Poop can gtf.

He's making the trip a 'State visit' (cause the Vatican is, legally, a State, but that's an argument for another day) instead of a 'pastoral visit'. Basically because of this, we're paying (probably nearer double this figure) in excess of £20 million to fund this man coming here to tell us how to live our lives - which no other head of State would be allowed to do. He doesn't need our money to come over (recent estimates put the wealth of the Vatican at approximately $50 billion). The thing is that no one has said we we NEED to pay for it, just that we HAVE to - which leads back to the point about being a State (they're taking advantage of a treaty signed by Mussolini meaning they get the benefits of being a State without any of the responsibility - something which needs addressed). I think most of the costs will be the policing of the events. No tax payer should ever have to foot the bill for a religious figurehead travelling here. Simple as that. If he wants to visit us, brilliant, I couldn't give a fuck, hope he has fun. If he wants US to pay for it because he can make us do that, then I've got a problem.

FTP really.

I couldn't care less if he popped over for a wee visit, then that's fair do's, folk can go see him and he can have a blast telling them what to do, but it's that fact tax payers who aren't religious or aren't catholic have to pay for this creepy man they don't give a shit about. It's utterly ridiculous. What difference is him coming over gonna make? Stupid.

Yeahyeah, sorry about that Ross.

I just didn't liked it when I heard the Pope was trying to hide what some paedophiles priests (somewhere in the UK) had done, only to keep a good image of the catholic church.

He should've accepted that even the people that are representing God aren't all good people, and instead of trying to hide their crimes, he should've directly denounced them and present his apologies to the victims and their families.

You can't be the head of the church and not assume that sort of stuff, that's just disgusting. -_-

I'll be brief here... I know that the pope was part of the Hitler Youth when he was a child, and regardless of whether it was by choice or by force, I cannot respect anyone who had any association with the nazis. I admire the fact that he obviously turned his life around, and I guess the way he was able to do that was through religion. But, I truly believe that organized religion has caused more harm than good, globally, and the pope is a part of that.

I'll be brief here... I know that the pope was part of the Hitler Youth when he was a child, and regardless of whether it was by choice or by force, I cannot respect anyone who had any association with the nazis.

now really, though. i'm not a fan of the pope either, but that's a bit of a crap argument. membership of the hitler youth was absolutely compulsory by the time the pope was 14, and at the height of Nazi success no less. Just because somebody was forced to join a disgusting branch of the nazi regime doesn't mean that he agreed with what they stood for. i'm not saying the catholic church did a lot to stop the nazis at the time, especially following the signing of the concordat, but considering the pope is now the pope i can assume that the final solution/euthenasia/murdering of the disabled/mentally ill etc. are all things a religious person such as the pope would be thoroughly against.

i don't like the pope because he's basically the figurehead of everything i hate about religion. so you could hate him for that, or disrespect him for his taste in music or his stupid popemobile - but refusing to acknowledge anyone because of what they were forced to do when they were 14 is a biiit ridiculous. just sayin'.

He never attended any meetings which led to his family being disadvanted under Nazi rule, so he done his best. Better than death, eh?

The problem with the Pope (the position and the man) is that the 'modern' Roman Catholic church refuses to progress in this modern and more secular age. Still backing the segration of schools (which, in my opinion, is the root of sectarianism for years past and to come), the backward stances on abortion and homosexuality (which admittedly is a lot more polarising in opinion and down to yourself and your own moral stance but I find their steadfast refusal to contemplate a serious consideration an embarrassment to anyone, let alone those of Christian faith) and saying contraceptives, namely condoms, "aggravates the problems" of HIV on a trip to Africa was nothing short of outrageous.

inb4 bigot.

I'm glad his trip was a £20million 'great success' at the taxpayers expense, I would hope so at that cost, but can any one off the top of their head even remember anything he said?