2010-11-16 Birmingham IEM Recording

Tailschao

Please read a copy and paste of the info file below. The notes/comments are important before you download (because after reading most people probably won't want to download anymore!)

Links are at the very bottom of the post.

Proper complete AUD audience recording and HD video recording will be posted later. AUD probably later today, video will take a while.

Info File:

----------------------------------------

Paramore

16th November 2010

LG Arena, Birmingham, England

Incomplete IEM Recording (technical interest only, unsuitable for listening for pleasure)

Zac Farro's monitor feed.

16Bit 44.1Khz, mono.

Lineage.....: Zac's IEM Transmitter > Icom IC-R5 > Zoom H2 (24/48) > Adobe Audition 3 > CDWav > Traders Little Helper

This is not a recording that is suitable for normal listening please. There are problems with it, see below. I'm only making this availible for: people who are enormous Paramore fans and want to experience (part of) a show from a different point of view, people who are bootlegging/audio nerds like me, and I suppose people who play the drums would find this interesting too.

This is a recording of Zac Farro's In Ear Monitor feed from the start of the show up until Decode. Unfortunately, he'd been experiencing some sound quality problems so when he went off for the quiet/acoustic part of the show they did something to his transmitter and I lost the feed. I didn't know I'd lost the feed 'cause I wasn't listening to it while taping.

So that's problem number one, it's only the first half of the show. Next problem is that Zac's IEM feed sucks big fat donkey balls. It basically consists of a BIG LOUND ANNOYING BEEPING METRONOME (capitalised for emphasis), then the drum kit loud just underneath... and that's basically it. A tiny tiny tiny bit of Hayley's vocals, and a tiny bit of one guitar. Don't know whose guitar. Unfortunately I was tuning frequencies during the final roadie mic test/setup so I didn't know whose feed was what or what was in each. If I'd have done it properly and got to outside the venue for soundcheck with a proper big-ass antenna I could have listened to all the feeds at my leisure and decided what to use. Oh well.

Honestly I don't know how Zac can play with this in his ears. Hayley is so low down if I were him I'd probably lose track of what verse we were on.

Reception is mostly pretty good. A few bursts of annoying static but not too many. There's more in the last 3 songs than the first few.

I've included over 11mins of preshow backstage chatter (all of what I was taping after I set my frequency), just for the hell of it. There's some mildly amusing crew singing towards the start and end, including some song about some guy called joey smoking a cigarette. Who knows man, who knows. Bear in mind the reception here is worse because the house lights were up so my receiver was in my lap. I transfered it to my upper shirt pocket once the lights dimmed and the show started. There's more interferance during the pre-show bit.

This is my first real attempt at IEM taping, and I've been just successful enough to make me want to drive up to Mancs on Friday and see if I can get anything better there. Not gonna be able to, but I want to.

I was also doing an Audience audio recording and video taping at the same time as this. Both those will be posted shortly, but this requires the least processing, so it's first.

I actually really enjoyed the show. Paramore are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, and to be honest I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Especially as I was glued to my spot with a video camera in my eye, antenna poking out my shirt and more wires than I care to shake a stick at dangling down around me. But pretty awesome. A bit short. Not, like, really short, but 85mins is at least an hour too short for any concert IMO.

Tracklist:

0. Pre-Show backstage chatter

1. Intro

2. Ignorance

3. Feeling Sorry

4. That's What You Get

5. For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic

6. Emergency

7. Playing God

8. Decode

I hope someone has some use/interest in this :smile:

--------------------------------------------------------

FLAC Link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1617882/PMR-2010-11-16-IEM-TC-FLAC.zip

MP3 Link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1617882/PMR-2010-11-16-IEM-TC-MP3.zip

Please do not make CDs from the MP3s - in fact, please do not re-encode or convert the MP3s in any way. If you want to make a CD or some other encoding or converting, please use the FLACs.

This is pretty cool to hear, so thanks for posting it. It's awesome hearing things from Zac's perspective, and it's cool how they have the time changes set up so perfectly. Plus I'm a nerd and I started taking note of the time signatures, haha.

Also, I don't know if it's because I've been playing drums for 14 years or because I know these songs like the back of my hand, but either way, I didn't get lost in the songs once, so I understand exactly how Zac doesn't screw up. :P

This is pretty cool to hear, so thanks for posting it. It's awesome hearing things from Zac's perspective, and it's cool how they have the time changes set up so perfectly. Plus I'm a nerd and I started taking note of the time signatures, haha.

Also, I don't know if it's because I've been playing drums for 14 years or because I know these songs like the back of my hand, but either way, I didn't get lost in the songs once, so I understand exactly how Zac doesn't screw up. :P

I'll take your word for it - I've never picked up a drum stick in my life, nor have I ever played live in a band, nor do I know the songs as well as if I'd been playing them for years, so I'm basically talking out of my arse TBH.

On a somewhat related note, quick DVD sample:

Not too shabby overall, IMO.

Epic thread, actually the most interesting one I've seen in months here. Thanks for posting this.

I'm a member of the Andy Sneap forum (if you're unaware, very well known producer/mix engineer/tracking engineer/mastering engineer in the heavy metal realm, so basically a bunch of metal fans interested in production hang around there) and Gearslutz.com (which is indeed, another audio production based forum board), so it's safe to say this is quite relevant to my interests :mrgreen: I'm not a pro audio engineering or anything, just a hobby of mine and I tend to be into hobbies that suit a somewhat obsessive, fairly introverted person like myself haha.

If anything, a click track (which is what that "BIG LOUD ANNOYING BEEPING METRONOME" is actually called) probably makes it easier to know where you're at, because everything is completely consistent this way. Playing songs over and over and over again helps a lot too obviously.

I wish more bands would use click tracks live, I much prefer the songs being in the same tempo as the studio versions.

Even just slightly speeding songs up can play havoc with the performances. Perhaps not as much in this genre of music, but I listen to a lot of metal, and an example that comes to mind is the "Live at Budokan" DVD by Dream Theater.

Mike Portnoy speeds up the song by seemingly 10bpm more than the studio version, and because of this John Petrucci plays the solo quite sloppily at some points, because the solo is already insanely difficult at the studio version, let alone having your manic drummer speed it up. The band has never played with click tracks as far as I'm aware, which is strange given the type of music they play and how technically demanding it is.

Anyway, I digress.

Zac is definitely a great drummer. Fantastic technique and tight timing.

Judging from the guitar parts being played, I'd be pretty certain that's Josh. That 3 string arpeggio thing is a dead giveaway.

Always a bit weird hearing that muffled thump of the kick drum. So used to hearing a mid scooped, attack-y type kick haha.

LOL yeah, I know it's technically called a click track. But I've heard many click tracks that just click - and this one has beeping in it :mrgreen:

I realise it's presence is helpful and everything, but it's still annoying from a (bootleggers') listening perspective.

I'm pretty sure Zac has some big subs behind him filling in the kick drum. It does sound very quiet on this, but if the air is thudding around him he probably doesn't need any reinforcement in his ears.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Guys. Does ANYBODY still have either of these files? I don't know if anyone will see this post, but I HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO have this recording!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is seriously the coolest thing I've ever seen ever. I perform a lot with iem's so this is the most interesting thing to me and i would LOVE to hear it.

Anybody who could give me any information on how to get this, PLEASE help me out here!!

• 6 months later...