Congresswoman, Federal Judge, 9 Year Old among 12 Shot.

craven moorehead

A federal judge was killed and a congresswoman gravely wounded Saturday in a shooting outside of a Tucson, Arizona, grocery store, according to police and government officials.

In all, six people died and 12 were wounded in the shooting, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Arizona, according to Rick Kastigar, bureau chief for the Pima County Sheriff's Department.

President Barack Obama later said Chief Judge John Roll of the U.S. District Court for Arizona was among the dead.

A 9-year-old girl also died in the attack, according to authorities. The child, whose identity had not been released, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Full story here: http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/08/arizona.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Why do so many people see killing innocent people as a way of solving their problems? Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some people?

My thoughts are with the families of all the victims, and I hope those wounded can make a full recovery.

Today I started researching what it would take to move to Australia. I've considered this many times but never actually thought seriously about it. No matter how directly or indirectly related the events may be, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to live in a country where the politicians, deliberately or not, suggest to their followers that they should take up arms and kill people who disagree with you, and then the followers actually go ahead and do it. This isn't America anymore. This is Iran, this is Afghanistan, this is a fucking mess. We're facing down a civil war of extremists against extremists and anyone who wants to be a rational voice in the middle gets blocked out by the vitriol on both sides.

Haha I've considered Canada a lot of times, but I really want to get as far away as possible. I'll miss my hockey and Moosehead though :( If Australia falls through, we'll definitely look at Toronto.

toronto? really? might as well stay down there if that's your plan hahaha

no offence to toronto but it's very americanised compared to the rest of the country

Today I started researching what it would take to move to Australia. I've considered this many times but never actually thought seriously about it. No matter how directly or indirectly related the events may be, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to live in a country where the politicians, deliberately or not, suggest to their followers that they should take up arms and kill people who disagree with you, and then the followers actually go ahead and do it. This isn't America anymore. This is Iran, this is Afghanistan, this is a fucking mess. We're facing down a civil war of extremists against extremists and anyone who wants to be a rational voice in the middle gets blocked out by the vitriol on both sides.

I know exactly what you mean. The extemism needs to stop. I find it shocking that grown adults can't grasp simple concepts that kids learn when they're 5. Like sharing, compromising, just plain getting along.

But I think that the middle/rational voice isn't neccessarily blocked out. I think it's that were are too, well, calm and rational, to have ridiculous protests and yell and act stupid, which is unfortunately what gets you heard.

I was so sad when I heard this, it's just horrible.

Oh goody, my favorite bigoted moron is back at it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9Q_s0WOog&feature=player_embedded

Anybody else think the shooter had the wrong target?

OK, maybe not even the WBC members deserve to be shot, but I would love to see them receive a well deserved beating sometime.

WBC is part of the reason I'm longing to get the hell out of America. I know that it'll bug the shit out of my family, and I know that being an expat will definitely not be the easiest thing in the world, but I just know that there's so many loonies out there, this country is going to hell in a handbasket. I've seen the writing on the wall since 2000.

America is only worth it if you're already extraordinarily wealthy.

the thing I hate most about politics is that I developed an interest in it, back in the early 2000's. Once you have an interest in it, you can't not have an interest in it. And yes, it's very dirty and there's an insane amount of hate being lobbed both ways. But at this point, I've reached the conclusion that both sides are crazy (one side more so than the other), there's no hope of it ever changing, and that's why I'm moving to Australia.

I agree with what you're saying and I can't tell you how many times I've threatened to move to Canada. But when I think about it I don't think I could really do that. I'm sure this is going to sound terribly cliche but I'd like to think that there is something I can do to make a difference and change this. I'd rather stay and try to make my country the best it can be than give up and leave it.

The first improvement would be if you could buy Vegemite in an American supermarket.

But seriously, I always think of ways that I could contribute to making it better here, but aside from becoming president and firing the entire congress by executive order, there's probably nothing I can do. So running away to another country is a great second choice.

You can vote. Or start a blog. Or go to rallies. I went to the Rally to Restore Sanity and with all the poeple that were there, and that watched it online and on tv, it's obvious the majority of Americans are civil, intellegent people. They just aren't vocal enough, I guess because we're too civil :P We need more things like that to get heard. The reason you hear all the extreme stuff in the media is because those are the people who are really vocal about things.