The Grammys 2011

Erin

Just something Hayley posted in response to someone on LJ today that asked her why she went with pink feathers on the dress:

"nah we originally were gonna do red feathers but the feather place only had certain shades of the specific feathers we wanted... pink or black! and naturally, i went with what was the loudest.

i'll add also that my entire goal when we go out for a red carpet is to have people look at me and wonder "who the hell is that" "why does she think THATs okay" hahah because that's what gets remembered. i.e. gwen's fuzzy blue bra at the vma's way back when. this is why i never wear anything plain. or why i don't just do something that's "pretty". i've got my whole life to try and be pretty i'd rather have fun and be ridiculous while i can get away with it! "

Eh. Much like Gaga, I think her "What the hell is this" atitude is just childish.

The Grammy's are a sacred occasion in the world of music and some of the most talented people in the world are there, and are the foundation of the awards. To try to degrade that to a publicity contest is very... immature.

Obviously when it comes to the industry everyone is looking for publicity. But to try so blatantly, that's when it gets distasteful.

You're right. But unfortunately that's how the media works and how people get attention now a days. I say if people go to an award show or out in the public where they know they'll be judged for how they look why not have fun with it!

I don't see the Grammys as anything different that the prom, where people get dressed up to have a good time and get some compliments. Also, the Grammys used to be a very prestigious event. Now they're pretty much a joke to everyone in the industry because the people voting for them are a bunch of out of touch 60 year olds. lol

Well, apparently, I was mistaken in my assumption that Hayley dresses the way she does at awards shows because she wanted to have a little fun dressing up and just had an odd sense of style. I figured trying to stand out had something to do with it as well, but it would appear that's the entire reason she dresses like that during awards. Can't say I'm to surprised though, nor does it change my opinion of Hayley at all, after all that's the name of the game in the entertainment industry. Get noticed and you get publicity, get publicity and you grab the public's interest, get public interest and sales often increase.

Eh. Much like Gaga, I think her "What the hell is this" atitude is just childish.

The Grammy's are a sacred occasion in the world of music and some of the most talented people in the world are there, and are the foundation of the awards. To try to degrade that to a publicity contest is very... immature.

Obviously when it comes to the industry everyone is looking for publicity. But to try so blatantly, that's when it gets distasteful.

That attitude is not childish (although I think Lady Gaga does take it a bit to far, but you can't knock results I suppose) and the Grammy's are not a sacred occasion. The Grammy's like every other awards show is (from the point of those that run the awards) about getting a whole bunch of famous people together in a room which means lots of people will invariably tune in which means high ratings and high add revenue. And from the point of celebrities attending, they get the publicity of the red carpet, get to co-mingle with other celebs and make new connections that might help their career at some point down the road, and if they are lucky enough to win an award they get the satisfaction of being told they're the best and the "prestige" of being introduced as "Grammy winning artist so and so".

Don't get me wrong, I like watching awards shows. I like seeing my favorite celebs being interviewed or wondering if they are going to win the award they are nominated for. I like the performances. Let's be realistic though, they are business events, not sacred occasions. And you can't expect the celebrities to treat it as anything but what it is, and part of a celebrities business is promotion. Promote their movies, promote their music, and promote themselves. So no I don't think the attitude of dressing strangely to get attention is childish at all. The only reason I don't like it sometimes, is that when they take it to far (which Haley borders on doing sometimes) they get the attention they want, but they look retarded.

Was I the only one who noticed that Hayley saying "I'd rather have fun and be ridiculous while I can get away with it!" and "my entire goal when we go out for a red carpet is to have people look at me and wonder' who the hell is that' 'why does she think THAT's okay' hahah" was her laughing and making her statement less serious? Who doesn't want to get noticed when they take the time to put an outfit together for a public event? Except Hayley wears what she likes and thinks it's hilarious when fashion snobs look at her like she's crazy. The girl's having a blast! Hence having fun and embracing her odd sense of style. Everyone's taking her statement so literally and seriously! lol

Was I the only one who noticed that Hayley saying "I'd rather have fun and be ridiculous while I can get away with it!" and "my entire goal when we go out for a red carpet is to have people look at me and wonder' who the hell is that' 'why does she think THAT's okay' hahah" was her laughing and making her statement less serious? Who doesn't want to get noticed when they take the time to put an outfit together for a public event? Except Hayley wears what she likes and thinks it's hilarious when fashion snobs look at her like she's crazy. The girl's having a blast! Hence having fun and embracing her odd sense of style. Everyone's taking her statement so literally and seriously! lol

I'm not saying that she doesn't have fun at these events, or even that she might not have some fun while dressing a bit oddly, but her statement "i'll add also that my entire goal when we go out for a red carpet is to have people look at me and wonder "who the hell is that" "why does she think THATs okay" hahah because that's what gets remembered." makes it clear (to me at least) that the reason she dresses as she does at awards shows is to grab attention and be remembered. Again that's not to say she doesn't get a bit of a kick out of dressing that way, but the reason she does it to grab people's attention. And there's nothing wrong with that. That's not a criticism of Hayley, it really doesn't matter to me why she dresses oddly sometimes. Whether to grab attention, or to have fun, or if she lost a bet. It doesn't change my opinion of her, just my opinion of why she chooses the clothing she wears to awards shows.

Fair enough. I think we can agree that she enjoys dressing up in weird outfits for both fun and to get attention. I don't know, the first time I read your post it sounded like you meant wanting to stand out was a bad thing, but I know what you mean. For me, reading a lot of posts on LJ where people were asking her, "Well this person said your outfit was ugly, and this magazine gave you an F for your dress... what do you think about that?" I just guess I see her statement as more of trying to stand tall even though everybody was unintentionally (I hope unintentionally, at least) bringing her down. She's just proud of who she is and how unique she is, and that's one of my favorite things about her. When she starts coming to award shows wearing a swan dress or in a giant egg/cucoon thing, then I'll question her motives, haha.

Whether people consider it prestigious or not, regardless of who is voting, the awards are very sacred to people that win them, people that aspire to win them, and those who have won one. Either way nothing I say will change anyone else's opinion, though my opinion is that purposely going OVER THE TOP for the attention so blatantly is disrespectful to those who take these awards seriously.

Yes you are. Everyone else loves it. Freak. :evil:

Haha off course, I believe you. :rotfl: Especially the pink ..

But actually it's normal to dress like that at award events, but I prefer Hayley's outfit more than Lady Gaga's at de VMA's I must say .. haha.