How would you respond to U2 fans’ harsh criticism of Paramore?

Para-RIOT!

Hey guys. I don’t know if I told all you Parawhores this. But not only am I a big Paramore fan, I’m also a big U2 fan. I belong to a U2 fan forum called Interference. At one point, one of the threads on the forum actually had a rather long discussion on Paramore. In this particular thread, a bunch of U2 fans took turns bashing Paramore and their cover of Sunday Bloody Sundy. They even dismiss Paramore as being “emoâ€.

Here is that thread-

http://u2.interference.com/f189/emo-band-paramore-covers-sunday-bloody-sunday-191772.html

Of all the remarks posted on this specific thread, the most scathing comments that stood out to me are the following-

“I think they should cease making music.â€

“Disgusting and shithouseâ€

“I really dislike this cover.â€

“Annoying accent, and they all have the same haircut... PHAIL!!!!! dos every emo band think they get credibility by covering this?â€

“WOW...I never really knew how bad Paramore was until now. Not a good cover at all.â€

“I'd say they're more of a Scene band than an Emo band.â€

“They are a pop band, like Mcfly, Scouting For Girls, Rascall Flats, No Doubt, Panic At The Disco and Avril Lavinge and some of Maroon 5's, Linkin Park, Hoobastank and Fall Out Boy's stuff. If they were real rock stars they would more stylistic and emotional in their delivery and they wouldn't try to iron out all their flaws. They think perfection is more important than being emotional.

Plus her voice is just ordinary, similar vein to Toni Braxton type voice where it's got some quality and some people love it, but she doesn't overpower a pop song like someone who has an unusual voice (like Alanness Morressette) or a great voice would. But then for RnB voices you do need really great voices or very unsual timbres (rather than just a pretty sweet voice or a slightly grating voice like Rihanna).â€

What do you guys think of all these U2 fans’ putdowns of Paramore? How would you guys respond to their overwhelming condemnation of Hayley and the boys?

I don't really care or worry about what fans of other bands think of the bands I listen to. If they don't like them, fine. I don't really care for the music U2 has released in recent years, so I guess we're even there? Not even like we have to be though.

I didn't even read what these fans had to say about Paramore. I'm beyond over thinking that I have to worry about someone else's opinion of the music I like. I left that behind in high school. Just accept that not everyone likes the same music, and they don't have to either. That's why there's so much music out there, and that's what makes it so amazing.

I'm not too bothered about what other people think. I personally cant stand Bono because the guy is an absolute clown. Telling people to "give us your fuc*ing money" during Live Aid while he's sitting there with millions does my nut in. Everyone has opinions. i like Paramore and that's all that matters to me.

Yeah it doesn't really bother me. Why stress myself out about it? It's not my problem. They're the ones wasting their time bashing a band they don't like. Everyone has their own opinions. If they don't like them I don't see the big deal. I don't like U2 either so it's okay lol

I'm not really that bothered. I love both bands, and these people are just shallow minded.it's fine for them to have their opinion, but I bet half of them have just listened to "Sunday bloody Sunday" and judged straight away without giving paramore a chance.

I know I'll never get the world to see everything my way, as much as I might try (hehe), but it's fine. I know not everyone can like Paramore. Just like how not everyone can like U2. But some choose to be more vocal about it than others. I know someone is hating on Paramore somewhere in the world, and I'm OK with it. Do I agree with them? No. But I don't expect them to agree with me, either. That's how people are. So I'll live with it... for now ;)

I've always been of the mind that if it sounds good, I'll listen to it. This is why I am a huge Paramore fan and also a pretty decent amount fan of U2. I remember seeing U2 on their Elevation tour at Madison Square Garden a number of years ago and having a really good time. But I will say that those U2 fans who said all those negative things about Paramore are complete fucking douchebags. People need to learn, if you don't like it, just don't listen and leave it at that. No one wants to listen to someone talk shit about something they like. It's music, not a fucking game. You go to a game, you talk shit to the other teams fans, that's normal... because sports is a fucking competition, music isn't.

That is all.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

21eu72d.jpg

2i1p6rc.jpg

You're no better than the U2 fans that's insulting Paramore. You're doing the same thing what they're doing now. Come on, I thought we were better than that, and I thought we knew better. I mean, I thought the fans of Paramore weren't so judgmental. But I guess each to their own and it's your opinion, and I can't change that.

I don't care what other fans of other bands think of Paramore. Why should I care what they think? I love Paramore and that's all that matters. But I guess I could understand where they're coming from. That song was about a day that was such a travesty for the Irish in a way, and protesters were killed because of what they believed in. I guess it annoys them that some random American band redid it, and I bet they think Paramore doesn't know what the song is truly about. I didn't know Paramore did a cover of that song. I love it, though.

I think Bono is a great man. I think he has done so much than anyone else has. I don't think he thinks he's all that, and I also think he's a great singer. I love their music. I have one of their CDs.

• 2 weeks later...