Osama bin Laden killed

Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden dead: U.S. officials

Osama bin Laden was killed in Pakistan and his body has been recovered by U.S. authorities, U.S. officials said Sunday night.

President Barack Obama was to make the dramatic announcement shortly in a hastily called, late-night appearance at the White House: That the mastermind of the September 11, 2001, attacks was killed in an American-led operation in a mansion outside Islamabad.

It is a major accomplishment for Obama and his national security team, after many Americans had given up hope of ever finding bin Laden.

A crowd gathered outside the White House to celebrate, chanting, "USA, USA."

Obama's predecessor, George W. Bush, had repeatedly vowed to bring bin Laden to justice "dead or alive" for the September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington that killed nearly 3,000 people, but never did before leaving office in early 2009.

U.S. officials said that after searching in vain for the al Qaeda leader since he disappeared in Afghanistan in late 2001, the Saudi-born extremist was killed and his body recovered.

Having the body may help convince any doubters that bin Laden is really dead.

He had been the subject of a search since he eluded U.S. soldiers and Afghan militia forces in a large-scale assault on the Tora Bora mountains in 2001. The trail quickly went cold after he disappeared and many intelligence officials believed he had been hiding in Pakistan.

While in hiding, bin Laden had taunted the West and advocated his militant Islamist views in videotapes spirited from his hideaway.

Besides September 11, Washington has also linked bin Laden to a string of attacks -- including the 1998 bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania and the 2000 bombing of the warship USS Cole in Yemen.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCATRE74107920110502

It's about damn time. It's not often I'm happy to hear someone has died, but this is one of those rare occasions. Good riddance.

I can't even explain how I felt when it was finally announced that he was indeed dead. I'm just remembering the last ten years and how it seemed like this day would never come. It's comforting to know that he's gone, but at the same time, it's still a little scary to think what extremists might try to do to avenge him.

I guess I'm not really celebrating his death as much as I am glad that families of those affected by September 11th and all of his other terrorist acts now have some sort of closure. As many people have stated tonight, a lot of people died for us to get this one man. Don't forget them.

Certainly a very rare event. I felt as if he was going to die of natural causes. Old age. No....He was blown to smithereens!

Not sure what to make of it really. Don't think I care too much, However if my family died I would feel different.

I just thank God that he's dead. But then it's really dangerous when you think of the consequences. There's going to be loads of precautions at airports etc. It's not the end now that he's dead, but there's justice. I'm not so much as celebrating, but I'm just really glad! Good riddance to him.

I couldn't believe it at first, I was on my way to take an exam when I found out, to be honest I'm not sure it's gonna change much, that kind of organisations surely prepared someone to take over...

On the other hand, the aftermath is gonna be really really serious, I think threats have already been issued...

I was leaving Bamboozle last night and I saw all the tweets and I got a text. I thought everyone was joking. I thought this would never happen. Took them long enough to catch him

I think hes death reduces like half the terrorism in the world :???::???:

Unfortunately, no it won't. If anything, it will increase for a period while his followers retaliate. Osama's death, while deserved many times over, will realistically do nothing to decrease terrorism as someone else will just step up to fill his place in the organisation.

Still glad he's dead though.

Yes, terrorism will never leave us.

Talking of terrorism. Thought I'd share this story.

Terror suspects held at nuclear plant: UK on alert after Osama bin Laden's death

Five men from London are being questioned on suspicion of terrorism after being seized close to the Sellafield nuclear site, police said today.

They were arrested as the country was put on full terror alert in case of reprisals for the killing of Osama bin Laden in Pakistan by US special forces.

According to sources the men were filming and were of Bangladeshi origin. The Met said its anti-terrorism officers were being kept informed. Inquiries will be made in London in connection with the arrests.

Dramatic details emerged this afternoon about the raid on Bin Laden's compound on Sunday. Contrary to early reports the al Qaeda leader was unarmed when he was shot in the head and chest and his youngest wife survived the gun battle. One of Bin Laden's sons was also killed.

David Cameron warned against stoking a row with Pakistan despite mounting criticism that Bin Laden, the most wanted man in the world, remained undetected for years in a town 60 miles from the capital.

The Prime Minister said: "If we turn away from them ...  you are left with a nuclear power in danger of massive extremism and massive instability."

Met officers reviewing security in the capital urged the public to look out for anything suspicious. Boris Johnson warned of the "risk of blowback from hotheads and idiots" in the wake of the Bin Laden assassination.

Ministers urged Britons around the world to stay away from crowded places that might be targeted by terrorists. The CIA warned that retaliation by al Qaeda was virtually certain.

Scotland Yard said. "The Met continue to urge the public to remain vigilant and be aware and to report any suspicious behaviour which may be terrorist-related.

"The threat level to the UK remains unchanged at severe, which means that an attack is highly likely."

The Mayor said he believed that al Qaeda did not have the capacity to mount a "big spectacular" but told LBC radio that the risk of retaliation remained real.

"I do think we have to be realistic and over time accept that there will always be a risk of blowback, of repercussions, of hotheads and idiots who do decide to mount some form of retaliation. All you can say is that our preparations are as thorough as they ever have been."

Foreign Office minister Alistair Burt warned Britons to be more aware, adding: "There might be places that they would avoid in terms of large crowds, potential demonstrations and things like that ... but we have nothing to indicate a specific threat."

Police sources said the arrests in Cumbria were not part of a long-running inquiry. The men were held purely because of what officers saw as suspicious behaviour.

The five men were held in a check on a car by the Civil Nuclear Constabulary who police the Sellafield site. The men, in their twenties, were arrested under the Terrorism Act. They were kept in custody in Carlisle overnight before being driven to a Manchester police station for questioning today by the North West Counter Terrorist squad.

Very dangerous. And it's probably just the start.

Yes, terrorism will never leave us.

Talking of terrorism. Thought I'd share this story.

Very dangerous. And it's probably just the start.

Things like these arrests bother me. Not because of what the 5 men were doing, although it was a little suspicious given the timing, but because as far as I can tell, they were doing nothing illegal. Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not familiar with all the laws of the UK, but it is not illegal to stand on public land and film a nuclear site. As suspicious as that action may be, it's not illegal. These men were arrested and are being held under the "Terrorism Act" simply because someone found what they were doing suspicious. That ability to arrest and hold someone simply because they look suspicious to you is a very dangerous power to give to anybody and is a huge infingement on a persons civil liberties. And people accept it because they have been pumped full of fear of the threat of terrorism, but start giving away any of your rights and it becomes a very slippery slope to loosing the rest of them. It's already begun to an extent.

Imagine if you will, you're at a protest against certain actions taken by the government. A completely legal action, but by this completely legal action you have left yourself open to arrest and detention. It is very easy in such a case for officers to say you were "acting suspicious" and arrest you under the terrorism act, not because you really were acting in a manner that implied threat, but simply because they don't want to deal with you. And unless someone happened to catch the whole thing on tape, there's nothing you can really do about it. It's already started. I saw video of protestors being arrested, their lawyers had told them to write their phone numbers on their arms so if they happened to be detained at the protest, they would have the laywers phone number handy. What were they arrested for? Simply because the police found having phone numbers written on them as suspicious. Think about that, police were arresting people for having phone numbers written on themselves. If that doesn't make people concerned about the amount of rights we are giving away to the authorities, it should.

And the story above is yet another example.

I vividly remember where I was on 9/11. I have a very foggy memory of where I was when I found out Bin Laden was killed as it was 5:30 AM and I was still half asleep.

There's a couple of things that piss me off about this. Number one being I really want to see the pictures and videos as proof and that this isn't some sort of bullshit hoax, but putting my cynicism aside, I'm pissed off that Obama only saw a 9 point approval bounce from this. The man has had the best week of his presidency and he only gets 9 points from Obama Bin Swimmin' being killed? Are you fucking kidding me? This minimal bounce confirms that there are millions of people out there who couldn't give a flying fuck if he put a billion dollars in their pockets tomorrow, they'd hate him just because he's him. This country is so goddam polarized it's sickening.

I think I'm one of the few people who thinks this is complete bullshit. There's absolutly no proof surrounding his death besides what the people who saw it saw.

I think the whole idea of this effort was to put American's minds at ease about it, I think they purposely waited ten years to say he was dead. I don't believe it, not one but. Give me proof, give some solid reasoning to believe it actually happened, not just hear-say.

all i have to say is that people celebrating his death is disgusting, you should never celebrate someone being killed, you can celebrate the removal of terrorism and tyranny but to actually celebrate a human beings passing is disgusting.

I think I'm one of the few people who thinks this is complete bullshit. There's absolutly no proof surrounding his death besides what the people who saw it saw.

I think the whole idea of this effort was to put American's minds at ease about it, I think they purposely waited ten years to say he was dead. I don't believe it, not one but. Give me proof, give some solid reasoning to believe it actually happened, not just hear-say.

c6tt5.jpg

Seriously, what would be the point of waiting 10 years to release the information he is dead? You say it was to put American's minds at ease, but then why wait so long? They could have put their minds at ease ages ago. Why wait 10 years? The point of waiting to tell people that someone is dead would be to release the news at a time that would be advantageous to the current administration. That time is not now. What advantage would there be in releasing that information at this particular time? None. The next election is still over a year away, the news won't have much impact on voters by then. The President isn't ebroiled in any type of scandal that they would need to release imformation like this now to take people's minds off it. So again, why wait until this particular moment to tell people he's dead? Because until this particular moment, he wasn't dead, that's why.

all i have to say is that people celebrating his death is disgusting, you should never celebrate someone being killed, you can celebrate the removal of terrorism and tyranny but to actually celebrate a human beings passing is disgusting.

qpoux3.jpg

I agree with you Defiance, I was always told to never take the Law in my own hands , I don't understand why this is ok for him, he was a human being, yes despicable, evil but that's not the point, I was relieved when I heard he was dead but really felt uneasy when I saw the people cheering on the streets, I cannot imagine the pain they've been through but still it doesn't sit well with me

If it's the people who had family members killed and lives affected because of his terrorist plots, I can absolutely understand why those people are celebrating his death, in a sense. Yeah, it's strange that anyone would celebrate a death like that, but he destroyed so much for those people and anyone affected by murder generally feels that way. It's almost part of the mourning process and a huge form of closure.

I did yell at my younger brother, who was seven years old on 9/11, when he wanted to go to Ground Zero and celebrate Osama Bin Laden's death though. That was just uncalled for. He wasn't affected at all and doesn't remember a damn thing about it (he told me he was in 3rd grade when it happened, but he was even wrong about that). He wasn't going to mourn or get closure, he was just being a douche.

wow clearly think you are the big man, you have no idea.

A big man? No not really, unless you mean physical size, then I suppose I'm fairly large.

As for my veiw point on this situation. Bin Laden was a horrible man. I can understand why he was angry with and wanted revenge on the US, I really can. But the thing is that he chose to get his revenge by the slaughter of many innocent men, women and children and that obviously is unacceptable. And now the man that helped slaughter many innocents is dead, and while his death won't really do anything to stop terrorism, he is still dead as he deserves and can no longer take part in that kind of activity himself. And so yes, I celebrate his death. One less murderer on this planet is always a good thing. Goodbye and good ridance.

ztcjo1.gif

If it's the people who had family members killed and lives affected because of his terrorist plots, I can absolutely understand why those people are celebrating his death, in a sense. Yeah, it's strange that anyone would celebrate a death like that, but he destroyed so much for those people and anyone affected by murder generally feels that way. It's almost part of the mourning process and a huge form of closure.

I did yell at my younger brother, who was seven years old on 9/11, when he wanted to go to Ground Zero and celebrate Osama Bin Laden's death though. That was just uncalled for. He wasn't affected at all and doesn't remember a damn thing about it (he told me he was in 3rd grade when it happened, but he was even wrong about that). He wasn't going to mourn or get closure, he was just being a douche.

id like to think most Americans would understand that celebrating his death makes them no better than the terrorists who celebrated the deaths of thousands of Americans, but hey from the country that brought you George W Bush, what do we expect apart from blind ignorance and complete idiocy, anyone ashamed of celebrating another human beings death should be ashamed of themselves.

id like to think most Americans would understand that celebrating his death makes them no better than the terrorists who celebrated the deaths of thousands of Americans, but hey from the country that brought you George W Bush, what do we expect apart from blind ignorance and complete idiocy, anyone ashamed of celebrating another human beings death should be ashamed of themselves.

I'd like to think that most Americans understand the difference between celebrating the death of a terrorist and the murderer of thousands of innocent people, and celebrating the death of thousands of innocent people. And someone who groups those two together displays the igonrance and idiocy that they like to claim others possess, in my opinion.

How can I say this in an unoffensive way....

Bin Laden was to America as Adolf Hitler was to the Jews. Public enemy #1 and more.

He was a sub-human piece of shit who deserved way worse than what he got. And he was a pussy ass motherfucker to boot. While he's encouraging young Muslims to go and kill themselves in the name of Jihad, what was he doing? Being a fucking asswipe hiding out in a million dollar mansion built specifically to house and protect him in Pakistan, and don't tell me Pakistan didn't know all about it. This douchebag wouldn't blow himself up in the name of Islam, he would have impressionable young people do it for him. He was a mass murderer and a cowardly piece of scum. To make it worse, he made life miserable for all the peaceful Muslims who actually practice their religion as it's taught, not as it's bastardized by radicals.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm about as Democrat as Democrats come. I'm in favor of giving the poor and middle class a fair shake and telling the upper class to go screw and pay their fair share. I'm also in favor of peace and totally against war unless absolutely necessary, but when someone sends people into my neighborhood to start shit, I want them taken care of by people entrusted to protect the neighborhood. On September 11th, these douchenoggings came into my state and wreaked havoc that haunts us to this day. Not Saddam Hussein, he was an innocent victim in all of this, but Bin Laden and his ilk, they get what they deserve. I just wish his death was more gruesome, to match the gruesome and untimely deaths of all those who were taken too soon when they were just going to work and trying to make a living.