Just a few suggestions

Hi! So, I've not been a member long, I know, but I do have a few suggestions.

1. Set size rules for signatures--I know sometimes I'm having a great time on here, but I have limited access and can only use 200MB a day. The size of some of these graphics forces me away from this site alot. Most sites I'm came across have a 200(tall)x500(wide) limit on images, and a limit on about how high it can be including links and text.

2. Since there are probably younger members here, I just thought it might be prudent to have people rate their links. Like maybe if it's a link to something that has a lot of swearing or something, it would be M, while something else could be 12+?

That's all for now. I just thought I'd post it for you guys to think about,if nothing else.

Suggestions are always appreciated thanks!

We do have a size limit for signatures. I'm not sure exactly what it is though but we can check into it. We also like to tell people to keep their signatures to a minimum but sometimes people don't know or listen.

Do you mean rate their post or topic? It never really gets too crazy with cursing or inappropriate content though. Here and there you'll get a random curse word.

I know sites that have a limit on signatures, and it helps, but it's usually to keep people from creating a huge amount of space to scroll down on the page, not for internet connection purposes. But I can see why that would be frustrating to you for loading so much data that doesn't relate to the content being posted. My recommendation would be in the "forums" tab in your Settings, there is a little check box for signatures. Just check it to disable signatures and then they won't show anymore for you. But a signature limit wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea, it would just be a matter of where do we set that limit? And how big is too big of a signature? I'm usually a fan of just having one or two lines of text in a signature, but on PF I have an image which might be a tad large. It's something I usually never do, but I might even take my current signature down since I've had it up here for a while and it is pretty big. But I've always been a fan of small and subtle signatures (just not here haha), but I know many people on PF probably prefer to have a giant signature, so I can't really decide for everyone. Easiest thing to do in the meantime is just turn signatures off.

Do you mean rate their post or topic? It never really gets too crazy with cursing or inappropriate content though. Here and there you'll get a random curse word.

No, I just mean when they link offsite, like to a picture of text thing or whatever. Like if I linked here it wouldn't matter, but if I linked here it would need a 12+ rating. Just so a 12 year old doesn't get sent to a site that uses excessive language or whatever.

As for size of sigs, maybe 200x500 or even like 500x500 or something? 200x500 is what's used on most sites I belong to, though that doesn't mean it would be right for this site.

Oh, and I've taken your advice, I'd forgotten about that option. Thanks Bitter!

No, I just mean when they link offsite, like to a picture of text thing or whatever. Like if I linked here it wouldn't matter, but if I linked here it would need a 12+ rating. Just so a 12 year old doesn't get sent to a site that uses excessive language or whatever.

As for size of sigs, maybe 200x500 or even like 500x500 or something? 200x500 is what's used on most sites I belong to, though that doesn't mean it would be right for this site.

Oh, and I've taken your advice, I'd forgotten about that option. Thanks Bitter!

A rating for external links that go offsite is possible, but I don't think we'd really allow any links to bad sites to begin with, so we'd remove it before any children go clicking around. We also assume that by viewing this website, you're accustomed to band websites, so any links to music sites in general are at about the same level of maturity as here, so it's pretty trusted. But it's certainly something to consider.

As for the signature size limits, I'm definitely not against it. I don't see any negatives for imposing a limit. But I don't make the decisions, so that one will have to be up to the other admins to debate, but I don't see why there shouldn't be one. It will reduce scrolling on each page, and improve loading times by a few milliseconds, and keep topics a little cleaner in terms of images and clutter.

And I'm glad you found the ability to turn signatures off helpful. I would have forgotten about that feature as well if I didn't just recently have to look it up for a customer of mine for similar purposes, so it was fresh in my memory.

Could be a limit on 70kb or so.

People will just have to be forced to use the right file types.

I took you sig Lily, your original sig is 150kb, I got it out as 28kb using JPEG at 60% quality. It's not really noticeable.

Original:

Paramoresigbyrisingtempesttda.png

lilyfiresig.jpg

^Compressed:

Not really a big difference, but it allows you to surf at least 5 times longer :)

... if anyone did that.

70 kb? haha holy shit, i'd be screwed, the size of my current sig is almost 200 kb haha.

i know that saving a sig as a jpg file instead of png can make it a lot smaller, but on some graphics it actually makes a difference. and some even require to be saved as a png. i tend to like to save all my graphics as png files, in fact i've been saving all of them as pngs for years.

but if there's really a need for a limit, either to resolution or size, i think everyone can live with that.

If we did have to set a limit on signature sizes, I'd probably do it by actual pixel sizes instead of file size, to be honest. Not everyone knows how to decrease file size or what the difference between png and jpg is, so just giving a set sig size is good enough. But at the same time, we rarely have to deal with someone who comes along and makes their signature the entire size of the page. Everyone here pretty much just sees what size everyone else's signature images are and goes from there. If someone does make their sig huge, we've always come in and asked them to change it. But if your problem is just because it uses up your limited bandwidth, then definitely turn off signatures when you have to worry about that. You can also change the boards to a different skin that's much less image-heavy. We have a few of those.

As for the link rating, I don't think that's necessary. Like Dustin said, if you're here, you're more than likely on other boards that have similar language, and if we do come across a link that leads somewhere inappropriate, we delete it as fast as we can. In the past, if someone has linked to another site that does contain some content that might not be appropriate for younger fans but is relevant, then they always mention it as a note. I think that's better to do than start dealing with a link rating system now.