Your chance to express your love for Paramore!

thebeatch

Do you want to express your love for Paramore? Have you always wanted to tell the world* how much this band means to you? Here’s your chance!

Oh, hello, by the way. Bea and Frida here. We are two students from Sweden. We study at the University of Linköping, and we are currently writing an essay on fan culture. Our essay is partly focused on Paramore. We chose this subject because just like you we are fans of alternative rock music, and we find the fan culture around this genre very interesting. In our essay we will be writing about fans’ reflections and thoughts on being part of a fan culture.

This is where we need you guys! For our study, we are looking for fans to interview through e-mail. We’d love to hear your opinions on the band and the fan culture you are participating in.

So, here’s the deal: you can live anywhere in the world. It doesn’t matter how old you are. You will be totally anonymous (which means no one will ever know who you are). We have prepared 8 questions about the fan culture around Paramore. An example of a question is: “Describe what Paramore means to you. Try to explain why you feel this way.†This question, and the rest of them, will be sent to you as a private message on this forum. You don’t have to answer right away; think about the questions and your answers, and then reply to us within a week. That means you will have plenty of time to write down your love for the band on paper (even though it’s not really paper ;)).

If you have the time, please help us out! We really need you. We can’t write our essay without your thoughts. You guys on this forum really seem to have a genuine interest in Paramore and their music. It’s obvious that you love them to bits. We only need you to write it down for us. :)

For those who want to answer our questions, reply to this thread saying “I’m in!†or something, or send us a private message. Replying to the thread or sending us a message doesn’t mean that you will have to participate, it just means that we will send you some more information about this. You can also send us a message if you’ve always wondered how to say â€I love Hayley’s hair†(or other necessary phrases) in Swedish. ;)

We are looking forward to hearing from you guys! :)

Take care

Bea and Frida

* This is really not a lie. In Sweden, the kind of essay we are writing is an official document. That means anyone (who understands Swedish) will be able to check it out and read your thoughts on fan culture. How cool is that?

• Like 1

I'll help you guys out!

I love this.

If you want I could help spread the word about this via Tumblr and the Paramore Fan Club...?

Hey Catie! Thanks a bunch! We'll send you the questions in a couple of days, tops.

If you would like to spread the word, that would be awesome! Very much appreciated. People can contact us via e-mail (bea.karlsson@gmail.com) in case they are not members of this forum. :)

I'll help you too guys but I'm swamped with work at the moment, can this wait until this weekend ?

Yay! Thanks! Yes, of course. Forgot to write about by what date we need answers and stuff... But as for now we're not in a rush. :) So, if you want to, we can send you the questions on Saturday or Sunday, and then you have one week to reply. :) Is that ok?

You are the best! I didn't have the time to read over breakfast this morning, but I'll read you answers right now 'cause I'm so excited. :D

And Ludi, did you get the message? :)

yes! I'm going to answer now :D

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! I hope you're all doing great. Just wanted to let you know that our essay will be done in the next few days. I'll post the abstract (in English) in this thread. If anyone wants to read the whole essay (or have a look at it or try if Google Translate makes any sense), just give me a shout. :)

Take care and smile at someone today!

Hey guys! Our essay is finally done. Here's the abstract for you all to read:

---

â€I’m not obsessed, I’m dedicated!†– Adolescents’ identity process in a fan culture: a qualitative interview research through e-mail

The purpose of this bachelor thesis is to examine fans’ opinions on participating in the fan culture of the two rock bands Paramore and My Chemical Romance. The thesis focuses on whether fans find that taking part in the fan culture has influence on their identity process, and in what way. Interviews with a qualitative approach were made with 16 fans in total. In order to be able to interview fans from all over the world, we made the interviews through e-mail.

Our results show that fans of Paramore and My Chemical Romance spend a lot of time on everyday activities related to the bands, especially on the Internet. This means that fandom is a big part of their lives. The fans emphasize how important the social aspect of participating in the fan culture is, and that the fellowship is significant to them. These persons’ identities are also influenced by the fact that they are fans. The fans consider the bands a security in life. Many fans express that their attitude towards life has become more positive thanks to the bands’ music. For example, they have realized that it is important to follow their dreams, and to dare to be themselves.

---

If anyone wants to read* or look at the whole essay, I've made it available for download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?is2rat20ttdv88o. We even put a pretty Paramore photo in it!

Thanks to everyone who showed interest in our study. To those who participated: our essay would've been a bunch of blank pages without you. Thank you!

* Who knows, maybe if you use Google Translate, it will make some sense?