OFFICIAL RIOT! DISCUSSION THREAD

kerrie

i don't actually think you can judge the album after one listen and compare it to awkif.

we have all played that album over and over since 2005 and have grown to love it so much.

i don't think you can compare riot! to it after one listen.

I am going to take the time to listen, but I knew as I listened to it I will not like it as much as AWKIF. When I listened to AWKIF I loved everything about it first time through. This album was dissapointing to me. I think I will like it more after I become accustomed to it, but it will never be AWKIF in my eyes. I say that with certainty.

im actually so gutted at how much this album has disappointed me.

when it rains is so so good though.

i hope it grows on me but i really dont think its going to :[

Same, bro. It's not like I want to feel this way, I just do. I am not going to hide it. Can't like everything, even if it's your favorite band putting it out.

Based on the 15 second previews, i like it a lot.

I was thinking this on my way home, how would you describe the AWKIF vibe??

Cause i was trying to describe it while i was in my car, and i couldn't. This album is way different, but i still love it. Born for This, Misery Business, For a Pessimist.... I love all those, and i like all the previews...i guess some people would have rather prefered them to do a more "dark" record, i guess... dunno. The truth is that this album, to me, sounds fresher, and i love that too.

Im sorry you didn't like it, i really am, because i know the feeling, some albums just "get you" and others don't. But i dont think it is gonna be a letdown for me

I've heard the whole songs and my opinion hasn't changed, We Are Broken is terrible, I really don't like it and it will not grow on me. I agree with people who are saying AWKIF just got me straight away, cos it did. With Riot!, sure I like a few songs, but its not that same feeling. I feel like I'm pushing myself to like it because they're my favourite band. It's a well written album I think, I just don't like how clean it sounds, the lack of distortion of the guitars, the poppyness of it.

I'm sure people will disagree with me, most of you probably will, but that is my opinion and I don't think it's gonna change.

Ok, I think of these three words everytime I think of Paramore...

Energetic, emotional, fun.

A creed the band has lived by. I feel like this album doesn't cut it when it comes to that. Sure, some songs are very good (I really like 'That's What You Get', you know, besides Hallelujah, BFT, MB, and Pessimist), but as a whole, the album doesn't have that energy Paramore has always brought to the table. I know I am not alone in my thinking, and I know some people are gonna love it.

I know Paramore well enough (not personally, but you get what I mean) to know where their potential is and what they can do with it. I feel like this album doesn't hit it square in the nose. It's not a complete flop, not at all...but when I take the album overall and think about it, at the end I am just dissapointed.

I've heard the whole songs and my opinion hasn't changed, We Are Broken is terrible, I really don't like it and it will not grow on me. I agree with people who are saying AWKIF just got me straight away, cos it did. With Riot!, sure I like a few songs, but its not that same feeling. I feel like I'm pushing myself to like it because they're my favourite band. It's a well written album I think, I just don't like how clean it sounds, the lack of distortion of the guitars, the poppyness of it.

I'm sure people will disagree with me, most of you probably will, but that is my opinion and I don't think it's gonna change.

Dude you took the words I've been trying to express and said it way better. I completely agree.

Ok, look - everyone's entitled to their opinions - but I think some people are a little out of line here.

We're not going to tolerate bashing the band or particular songs. If you don't like a song, say why - don't just say it's horrid and leave it at that. Let's have open discussions around why people like or dislike songs. Personally, I love "We Are Broken" - the lyrics are so honest and powerful - in fact, the lyrics on the whole album are a big step forward from AWKIF...you can hear the truth and the honesty in every line and I think it's phenomenal.

I think it's very hard to compare it to AWKIF right out of the gate like this...first of all, when you first heard AWKIF, it was probably your first time hearing Paramore. So there was something new and different and exciting about that. Secondly, at this point, we've all listened to AWKIF hundreds of times...you've grown with those songs. You have memories associated with those songs. They've taken on new meanings for you. And that will happen with Riot! too if you give it the chance.

I will agree that Riot! is a cleaner, more pop album than AWKIF...and I'm not surprised that some of you, particularly long-time fans, are struggling with that...just as I think it's going to attract tons of new fans because it is a more accessible sound.

But in listening to it, I think it's a brilliant record. There's a crispness to their sound that simply wasn't there on AWKIF. The playing is better, Hayley's voice is significantly stronger, the lyrics are phenomenal and, imo, the songs themselves are every bit the equals, if not better, than the songs on AWKIF.

It's definitely a different record...they didn't try to do the same thing they did on AWKIF and it shows...but I think taking this new direction shows courage...and this is exactly the record they wanted to make. It's ok if you're not totally into it, but please don't bash them or particular songs - say what you don't like or why you don't like them...they worked INCREDIBLY hard on this record and it says and is exactly what they wanted it to be.

in fact, the lyrics on the whole album are a big step forward from AWKIF...you can hear the truth and the honesty in every line and I think it's phenomenal.

rock n roll baby dont you know that were not alone now i need somthing to sing about

:/

I never really meant to slate the songs, well I meant to slate We Are Broken because to me it doesn't represent them much, it's too...I can't explain it. I just don't like it. I think the other songs are really well written, good songs with good substance, I just don't like how some of them are recorded. I'm sure they'll be amazing live though.