Kerrang! Review Astoria gig

WayneFarro

Kerrang! have reviewed one of the astoria gigs it got 3 K's, sorry i only had a quick look so i can't remember which one or which page it was on, sorry! but i read the review and man, once again they wrote a load of rubbish. i laughed several times, i wasn't there but i know it was a load of crap. it annoys me that a magazine that loved paramore a year ago can now write stuff like this again. oh yeah they talked about the band being all about hayley again and the fact the guitarist (i assume it's taylor) doesn't get mentioned on their myspace page, that's cos he's not a permament member yet, they should do their research. i don't know, maybe it's cos Paramore have been fighting back against the bad press kerrang has been giving them. there rant over, it's really annoyed me.

pile of pish.

i picked up this weeks kerrang for a flick through at lunch today - lets just say i read about the first five lines of the paramore review. i stopped after that because i actually felt quite sick.

i only bother with kerrang if theres a poster or something i want in it.

apart from that, its just a big slagathon.

• Like 1

I actually bought Kerrang (shocking isn't it?) and here's the full review, since people are just saying it's a shite review without actually reading it.

PARAMORE,

Astoria, London: 06. 09. 07

KKK

TENNESSEE TEENS BRING BRIGHT WHITE SMILES TO THE CHARING CROSS ROAD

Last Year when Paramore played London's Mean Fiddler, right next door to the Astoria, Hayley Williams wore a T-shirt that read: 'Paramore Is A Band'. And yet (malicious?) rumours persist that this is not quite the case: smart ass kids on internet messageboards suggest that the Nashville group were put together simply because their record company felt it would be more credible to launch a group than it would a solo artist. Maybe, maybe not. What is without doubt, though, is that if Paramore is a band it's one that belongs to it's lead vocalist. The musicians surrounding Hayley Williams - there with the Duracell hair, standing no bigger than a triple-A battery - could disappear into the ether and the audience would hardly notice the switch. The guitarist who isn't Josh Farro doesn't even get a mention on the band's own MySpace page: go figure.

Paramore offer an evening of wholesome entertainment. Any more wholesome and this would be like watching High School Musical, let alone Avril Lavigne. With this comes good and bad. It's not always necessary for a band to address it's audience as "motherfucker"; the fact that tonight's headline turn are no more dangerous than a packet of crisps isn't itself a problem. Williams is a strong presence, her enthusiasm might not be quite infectious but it is attractive. Between songs you may have trouble understanding a single word she says and she doesn't quite know what to do with herself during the instrumental sections, but she still holds the show together with some style. The energy quotient in the room is high. The people looking at her make as much noise as she does.

But what of that noise? The real problem with Paramore is the songs and fact that many of them - most of them, even - are not good enough. This evening has lots going for it: it has energy, it has enthusiasm, it has a sense of fun that is its own reward. What it doesn't have is a melody that can be recalled during the tube ride home. What Paramore needs is a sense of pop brilliance on which to rest all of their other charms. Without this, they have Hayley Williams and Hayley Williams only. And that, really, ain't gonna cover it.

Read it and then comment. Yeah it might be a shite review but it has it's points. Without Hayley Paramore would be nothing.

I bought Kerrang too cos I went to the Gig on the 6th, and wanted to see the pictures anyway lol.

The review was obviously written by someone who doesn't really like Paramore. You can tell this by his comments about the new songs etc.

Personally, I thought it was great to hear the new songs, especially Thats What You Get, Crush Crush Crush, I like even more after seeing those songs performed live. And great to see Hallelujah again! And when it rains.. and pessimist etc..heh.

The only point the reviewer had, was that there is a guitarist playing (who was there in camden as i recall) who we don't really know who he is. Oh and yeah.. of course u need Hayley for Paramore.. that's obvious though, isnt it?

I had a look at the review of the Mean Fiddler show last year in kerrang - 5 stars, and what a surprise, different reviewer. Looking back.. the songs performed with keyboard and just Josh playing, like Franklin or My Hero were really good, and I think they should have included a couple of songs with keyboard on this tour.. maybe When It Rains ?

I'm moving away from the point there though. It's a matter of opinion if the gig is good. Personally, I thought the london gig was great, and even better than the gig in Portsmouth the week before.

but you could say any band would be nothing with out their front man/woman...

True. But Hayley is the main part of Paramore. Bands often replace frontmen with other guys but who could replace Hayley?

I'm not going anti-Paramore here, it's just it really annoys me when people instantly say bad stuff about people/magazines who don't give Paramore five star reviews and can't take negative reviews about the band without saying something stupid like: "[insert whoever did the review] sux!!!11" Especially people who won't even read bad reviews just because someone tells them it's a bad review.

I'm not going anti-Paramore here, it's just it really annoys me when people instantly say bad stuff about people/magazines who don't give Paramore five star reviews and can't take negative reviews about the band without saying something stupid like: "[insert whoever did the review] sux!!!11" Especially people who won't even read bad reviews just because someone tells them it's a bad review.

i compleatly agree with you on that.