why do paramore classifieds as emo sometimes?

nilleboy

omg.

i totally agree.

i hate how people call bands emo.

when theyre far from being emo.

and i hate how people say emo is short for emotional.

when its clearly not.

and i tell peple over and over again it means emotive hardcore.

but they dont get it through their heads, so ive just given up.

because my best friend wears heavy eyeliner, is pale and she has jet black hair.

she wears stripes and skinny jeans, and converse.

and everyone goes;

are you emo?

and she's like;

no! jeez.

i hate it so much.

last week my friend told me thatshe was talkin to this dude. and out of now ehre shes like GOD I LOOVE PARAMORE. and he was liek "ppsshh.paramore SUCKS there just an emo version of avril"

.....and my friend and that dude have no clue of the references of hayley and avril over the years hahaa soo i found that ironic. but anyway.....ive neverrr seen then as "emo", if anything there pop punk...thats what ive always seen them as.

People shouldnt really get worked up about the whole emo thing...because if you ask any person that likes to judge and call you emo they pertty much dont even know you or have a clue what emo is...Its just a word that everyone throws around as a cheap insult these days...but really ALL bands must be emo by what people describe it as? which to me emo just is pointless stupid and overrated...Whocares what type of music you listen to if it sounds good listen to it! thats the whole point of music is to like it and can somewhat relate to it...argh i hate stereotypes and this whole emo thing...It's rediculous and something people worry about...The word is so used these days A bum on the street could be labelled emo...or even a dog.. o_O

It seems a lot of society hears the word "Emo" and immediately thinks of the words goth, suicide, angsty teen, or even sometimes homosexuality. It's just more misconstrued titles tied to a word that ignites the passion of hatred in some peoples minds, people love to be able to hate something. Happens to everyone even the most open-minded individuals. Paramore is a bit scene sometimes especially Hayley, which is why they are flipping amazing and different. The negative or misinturpreted opinions surrounding the word emo are pretty much beyond the point of altering, so I myself wouldn't even worry if someone decides to reveal their ignorance on the subject with negative insults.

• 3 weeks later...
I disagree that "true emo" is gone. Jimmy Eat World just released their sixth album (Chase This Light), which is probably one of the best emo albums since 2005's Plans by Death Cab for Cutie and their last album Futures in '04. Many people get into heated debates about genres, which I do think is silly, but Jimmy Eat World is definitely one of the founding bands that really shaped what emo truly is. Until bands like Jimmy Eat World stop making music, that's when emo will be dead. Sure, we did have to wait for about two years to know that well written, well thought out, far from generic emo is still out there, but, if you ask me, it was well worth the wait.

you cant kill an genre. you cant say that "punk rock" is dead or "crunk". but Jimmy Eat World isnt emo I really dont understand the emo part about them? and Death Cab For Cutie is pure Indie Rock.

emo is emotive/emotional hardcore but the most band who is called emo today is indie rock or pop punk band with songs about heartbreaks and relations. and then they are the scene-emos like alesana, chiodos and so on who really wants to be label as emo.

the closest you can come the genre today is hardcore.

but I really dont understand why anyone call paramore emo when its clearly pop or maybe pop punk all populair music today is about feelings and love

at college yesterday i was in a computer room listening to paramore REALLY loud on my ipod (i was kinda pissed and upset needed to blow my ears out, you know how it is) and my mate joe taps me on the shoulder and points to someone across the room, so i took at my head phones and he said "just cause you are emo and want to slit your wrists, doesnt mean we all do" i just said "get fucked" (even though my tutor was sitting like right next to me) and turned it up. some people are pathetic. :roll:

My sister calls me emo sometimes too (i don't know if she really mean it) but only cause I listen to this pop/punk bands that are like similar to fall out boy and so then called emo the wrong way.

And I don't understand the emo part on JEW either. Maybe static and clarity or a bit emo inspired but since bleed they've more like been the indie way. Not that they're an indie band, i don't know it's hard to put JEW in a genre.

you cant kill an genre. you cant say that "punk rock" is dead or "crunk". but Jimmy Eat World isnt emo I really dont understand the emo part about them? and Death Cab For Cutie is pure Indie Rock.

emo is emotive/emotional hardcore but the most band who is called emo today is indie rock or pop punk band with songs about heartbreaks and relations. and then they are the scene-emos like alesana, chiodos and so on who really wants to be label as emo.

the closest you can come the genre today is hardcore.

but I really dont understand why anyone call paramore emo when its clearly pop or maybe pop punk all populair music today is about feelings and love

Obviously, I disagree. A genre can die. Who plays hair metal nowadays besides the old hair metal bands going back on reunion tours or someone covering their material? No one, because no one is creating new stuff.

And as for Jimmy Eat World not being emo... really? Cause I thought their entire archive proves that they were. Also, the band's sound hasn't changed too much since Bleed American-- Futures and Stay on My Side Tonight are both angsty, heavy LPs and EPs. If you made the agruement that they were not just emo, I could agree with you, but just saying JEW is not emo and then not backing it up with any proof doesn't really say they aren't just because you said so.

Also, to me, Death Cab's Plans is on the emo side... Their sound to me isn't all that indie. Pop and light rock, yes. Emo... lyrically, yes. And Ben Gibbard's tone and witty vocals definitely make me feel like they could possibly be emo because they're whimsy. They're like a lighter version of SDRE mixed with Minipop's melodies. So to me, that's emo. They're not whole out emo, I guess I should've said that in my earlier post, but I didn't since I thought I was defending emo as a credible genre listing DCFC and JEW. But I guess I obviously pissed some people off by doing that.

this is debateable -.-"

people always call me emo since i listen to paramore and crap.

which, im not, obviously.

there was this kid in my homeroom he used to call himself emo. he used to dress up in all black and slit his wrists fro no apparent reason. he actually had an ok life so i didnt understand. i asked his step-sister whats wrong at his home...she had no idea, she told me he was fine. but i figured out he turned "emo" bc he broke up with my best friend which he called "love" which, in fact, is pretty stupid since by tht time we were SUPER young to be loving people. im talking 5th grade! so later on, i gave up trying to help him, and i gave trying to tell the counselor what hes been doing to himself. so by this time he has labeled HIMSELF emo, gothic, punk, and the ever-hated nickname he gave himself emothic. -.-" i told him to hurry up and talk to the counselor before his lifespan was as thin as his veins and yeah, he eventually did. now worst of all he labels himself "Ghetto" which, in fact, is strange...

thats what i hate about labels these days, they can really kill you :\

• 2 years later...
Ugh....the police got me again

Haha, and to answer your other post, I think people have kind of stopped with calling Paramore an emo band. However, if you listen to some old-school emo like Jimmy Eat World (now what they do is just considered rock, but it used to be considered emo) and Sunny Day Real Estate, you'll hear some similarities.

Emo wasn't always about being depressed, wearing dark clothes, and whining about it. It used to be about jeans, t-shirts, the occasional sweatervest, and good rock music. Boy do I miss that. :P

i think the word"emo"has been used so many times its now not used properly to describe something.when we think of it now,we usually think of teens with crazy hair splitting their wrists and crying.thats actually not what emo is.i used to be offended when people called paramore emo but now i agree with them.ignorant people still think its all about cut wrists etc.but actually its expressive rock music that would usually tell a story,usually of the artist itself.sound like paramore?so really theres a difference between emo music and emos.even though im not an emo,i do listen to a lot of emo music because i like variety.so dont get paramore confused with emos okay?(no offense to emos btw if i did offend them in any way):)