The Book Thread: What are you reading?

thebrowncoat

^^ EWWW! that book is so blah. I really like Steinbeck's style of writing, but i greatly dislike the plot of that book. East of Eden is a lot better.

I just finished Farenheit 451 for school. I would like to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, because I've heard a lot about it, as well as Brave New World. but i have no time =/

^In Her Shoes, the movie with Cameron Diaz. I like all of Jennifer Weiner's books.

The last book I read was East of Eden and I just thought it was amazing. I'm going to look into some more Steinbeck books. I've already read, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, and Grapes of Wrath.

I'm trying to balance out my chick lit books with things of more substance haha!

That sounds interesting. What is it about?

From amazon.com:

Edwards's assured but schematic debut novel (after her collection, The Secrets of a Fire King) hinges on the birth of fraternal twins, a healthy boy and a girl with Down syndrome, resulting in the father's disavowal of his newborn daughter. A snowstorm immobilizes Lexington, Ky., in 1964, and when young Norah Henry goes into labor, her husband, orthopedic surgeon Dr. David Henry, must deliver their babies himself, aided only by a nurse. Seeing his daughter's handicap, he instructs the nurse, Caroline Gill, to take her to a home and later tells Norah, who was drugged during labor, that their son Paul's twin died at birth. Instead of institutionalizing Phoebe, Caroline absconds with her to Pittsburgh. David's deception becomes the defining moment of the main characters' lives, and Phoebe's absence corrodes her birth family's core over the course of the next 25 years. David's undetected lie warps his marriage; he grapples with guilt; Norah mourns her lost child; and Paul not only deals with his parents' icy relationship but with his own yearnings for his sister as well.

It's a fantastic book.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter is actually the first book on my list of books that I'm going to get soon. I don't know much about it but it was recommended to me on amazon.com and I read the description and it sounded good.

It's sooo fantastic. The writing is beautiful and the imagery it creates is wonderful. It's so vivid in my mind it's almost scary how real it feels. Definetly a must read.

From amazon.com:

Edwards's assured but schematic debut novel (after her collection, The Secrets of a Fire King) hinges on the birth of fraternal twins, a healthy boy and a girl with Down syndrome, resulting in the father's disavowal of his newborn daughter. A snowstorm immobilizes Lexington, Ky., in 1964, and when young Norah Henry goes into labor, her husband, orthopedic surgeon Dr. David Henry, must deliver their babies himself, aided only by a nurse. Seeing his daughter's handicap, he instructs the nurse, Caroline Gill, to take her to a home and later tells Norah, who was drugged during labor, that their son Paul's twin died at birth. Instead of institutionalizing Phoebe, Caroline absconds with her to Pittsburgh. David's deception becomes the defining moment of the main characters' lives, and Phoebe's absence corrodes her birth family's core over the course of the next 25 years. David's undetected lie warps his marriage; he grapples with guilt; Norah mourns her lost child; and Paul not only deals with his parents' icy relationship but with his own yearnings for his sister as well.

It's a fantastic book.

It's sooo fantastic. The writing is beautiful and the imagery it creates is wonderful. It's so vivid in my mind it's almost scary how real it feels. Definetly a must read.

Thank you :D I will definatly have to take a gander at the book. It sounds extreeeemly interesting.

I used to read Gossip Girl and The A-List. I'm so sick of those ugh. just like, wayyy too much drama

I'm so lame. Harry Potter The Half Blood Prince. Good so far I guess.

i LOVE harry potter! love the HBP. my fave tied with the third one. i read it in 2 hours the day it came out. i'm hoping to beat that when the new one comes out.

^In Her Shoes, the movie with Cameron Diaz. I like all of Jennifer Weiner's books.

The last book I read was East of Eden and I just thought it was amazing. I'm going to look into some more Steinbeck books. I've already read, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, and Grapes of Wrath.

I'm trying to balance out my chick lit books with things of more substance haha!

i've read most of East of Eden. i LURVE it, or what i read of it =] haha this was like, 2 years ago.

you should check out the movie version with james dean in it. it's AMAZING. he portrays Cal to the tee.

i'm reading Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

i'm glad i heard about this book... cuz it's really good...

its cool how i heard of it too!

someone bought this book for hayley for her birthday...

and well, i saw it at boarders and i thought...

'since paramore is the best band and hayley's my hero... i should read it...'

lmao... but it's a great book!

i'm reading Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

i'm glad i heard about this book... cuz it's really good...

its cool how i heard of it too!

someone bought this book for hayley for her birthday...

and well, i saw it at boarders and i thought...

'since paramore is the best band and hayley's my hero... i should read it...'

lmao... but it's a great book!

i LOVE that book. Actually, all of Sarah Dessen's books are great. if you really like this one, you will probably like them all. =] haha

I used to read Gossip Girl and The A-List. I'm so sick of those ugh. just like, wayyy too much drama

i LOVE harry potter! love the HBP. my fave tied with the third one. i read it in 2 hours the day it came out. i'm hoping to beat that when the new one comes out.

I keep forgetting to read more of it. I read like, 170 pages in a few hours and then I stopped for a few days, I should probably pick it back up tomorrow.

i've read most of East of Eden. i LURVE it, or what i read of it =] haha this was like, 2 years ago.

you should check out the movie version with james dean in it. it's AMAZING. he portrays Cal to the tee.

I didn't realize it was a movie but thanks for letting me know! Maybe, I should have figured that since SO many more movies are adapted from books then people even realize.

The last book I finished was House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III

I don't have any books right now. I'm trying to wait until after my finals are over to buy some more so theoretically I will be studying for them and reading textbooks instead.