The Book Thread: What are you reading?

thebrowncoat

i am reading uglies by scott westerfeld (i have about 100 pages left im on like 320 of 425)

there are four books i think uglies is the first, then pretties, then specials, and then extras... i think thats how it goes.

i liked that book. it was interesting in my opinion. :P

the edition with like 1000 pages (no lie) bored the crap out of me though.

Hehe, i could never have read that, that's too long xP

I liked it too, it's good, but sad ..

• 3 weeks later...

BC_1416948848.jpg

Description

The Tudors is an intimate, delicious, and daring drama revealing the early years of Henry VIII, an idealistic, lustful tyrant torn between bedding wives and mistresses and conquering Europe. This is not the story of the old, fat Henry you've read about in history books.

At eighteen, the throne and the entire world became his. Young, sexy, and the most powerful man of his time, the king was known for his good looks and athletic prowess. He was so arrogant that he despised dealing with the consequences of his actions. King Henry executed people with little excuse, and single-handedly tore apart the Roman Catholic Church, the most powerful institution in medieval Europe.

I'm actually not that kind of guy who loves reading, but this book is damn good. :P

• 2 months later...

9780859654272.jpg

Description:

Heath Ledger was one of the most charismatic actors of his generation. After establishing a high-profile Hollywood career at the age of 21 with the lead in A Knight’s Tale, Ledger pursued a series of increasingly diverse, often subversive roles that belied his image as a teen idol. Edgier films such as Monster’s Ball gave tantalizing hints of his talent, but it wasn’t until Brokeback Mountain that he proved beyond question the full extent of his abilities.

His sudden death rocked the film industry and threw a poignant shadow over the body of work that has now become his legacy. Here, Brian J. Robb explores Ledger’s relationships with actresses Michelle Williams, Naomi Watts, and Heather Graham, recounts the making of Brokeback Mountain and the film’s impact, and charts Ledger’s increasingly troubled state of mind.

Heath Ledger: Hollywood’s Dark Star paints a memorable portrait of a compelling and intense young man whose loss will be felt for years to come.

Sorce: click.

51A2K2S2KTL_SS384_.jpg

Green River, Running Red By Ann Rule

Veteran crime writer Ann Rule is uniquely qualified to chronicle the grisly career of Gary Ridgeway, the man convicted of being the "Green River Killer," the most prolific serial killer in American history. Not only is she one of the more successful true-crime authors, but for nearly 20 years, Rule was exceptionally close to the case, reporting on it for a Seattle newspaper, preparing a long-delayed book on the subject, and living within a few blocks of the strip of highway where most of Ridgeway's victims were abducted. In Green River, Running Red, Rule lends unique humanity to the string of murders that haunted the Seattle area throughout the '80s and '90s by exploring the lives of the dozens of young women who fell into prostitution and were ultimately murdered. Similarly, she catalogues Ridgeway's troubled and bizarre life in such a way that the reader becomes uncomfortably familiar with Ridgeway, although it's never truly clear what drove him to commit such heinous crimes. Along the way, she traces the decades-long struggle of the law enforcement officials assigned to the case as they tracked down countless leads, questioned innumerable suspects, and explored multiple theories that came up empty before finally cracking the case through a series of technological advancements and a little luck. But the most disturbing aspect of the Green River killings (named for where the first victims were found) is how they occurred in relatively plain sight, with Ridgeway, seemingly living an unremarkable life, dwelling and working within a few miles of where his lengthy killing spree took place and evading capture for years. Rule skillfully weaves herself into her account, relating the psychic and cultural impact of the case as it evolved, but she never takes the spotlight off Ridgeway, his eventual captors, and the women who died at his hands.--John Moe

Horus Heresy: Horus Rising

It's got an amazing monologue about how religion is a fairytale, and the best thing Mankind (More specifically the Emperor of Mankind) did, In the 41st mellenium, was release itself from the shackles of religion and unite as one.

"Great actions have shaped our society' date='" Sindermann said. "The greatest of these, physically, has been the Emperor's formal and complete unification of Terra, the outward sequel to which, this Great Crusade, we are now engaged upon. But the greatest, intellectually, has been our casting off of that heavy mantle called religion. Religion damned our species for thousands of years. From the lowest superstition to the highest conclaves of faith. It drove us to madness, to war, to murder, it hung upon us like a disease, like a shackle ball. I'll tell you what religion was... No, you tell me. You, there?"

"Ignorance, sir."

"Thank you, Khanna. Ignorance. since the earliest times, our species has striven to understand the workings of the cosmos, and where that understanding has failled, or fallen short, we have filled the gaps, plastered over the discrepancies, with blind faith. Why does the sun go round the sky? I don't know, so I will attribute it to the efforts of a sun god with a golden chariot. Why do people die? I can't say, but I will choose to believe it is the murkey buisness of some reaper who carries souls to some afterworld."

His audience laughed. Sindermann got down off of his podium and walked to the front steps of the stage, beyond the range of the vox mics.Though he dropped his voice low, its trained pitch, that practiced tool of all iterators, carried his voice with perfect clarity, unenhanced throughout the chamber.

"Religious faith. Belief in daemons, beleif in spirits, belief in an afterlife and all the trappings of a preternatural existence, allexisted to simply make us all more comfortable and content in the face of a measureless cosmos. They were sops, bolsters for the soul, crutches for the intellect, prayers and lucky charms to help us through the darkness."[/quote']