Beauty tips (skin treatment, hair and other stuff)

iOta

Acne in general sucks. And it's really frustrating when nothing seems to do the job, so I hope that works out for you!

My current routine is to clean my face in the morning and before bed. I shower in the mornings, so I use a cleanser like this or this one, followed up by a toner (x) and moisturizer (x). At night, if I haven't worn any makeup (or in the morning when I don't shower), I will start with an astringent (x) and finish with the toner and moisturizer as well as the ZapZyt treatment gel. If I have makeup on, I use Ponds products (x). Occasionally, I use Target's scar gel on brown spots left over from acne. And sometimes it's just good to give your face a break. I try to limit the benzoyl peroxide to what I need.

thanks, i hope so too!

my skin is rather sensitive (suspicious i have rosacea as well) and i'm lazy so i only wash my face in the evenings and keep my routine as simple as possible. sometimes i'll do a quick rinse with warm water in the morning if i'm going to be putting makeup on but i honest to god don't even remember when the last time i used makeup was. lately i've been using this cleanser with my clarisonic and this moisturiser but once accutane starts properly drying me out i'll probably switch to this and this and see how those work, with some aquaphor on spots where i really need it.

toner and scrubs usually bother my skin and topical acne treatments haven't worked for me because my acne is too deep so i don't bother with those at all anymore. sometimes i use clay masks like this one but again i'm lazy so it's rare haha. i should probably invest in a good sunscreen but my skin hates chemical sunscreens and mineral ones that aren't gross feeling are hard to come by.

• 4 months later...

^ i'm so excited for the craft, i think i'm gonna preorder it next time i have money in my account

what other ones are you looking forward to?

i have two bobbi brown books i bought a couple years ago and one or two on cosmetic ingredients and skin types but idk what else is out there

Le Beauty Exorcist by Gregory Arlt, Your Beauty Mark by Dita von Teese, and there was another one I saw an advertisement for the other day but I don't remember what it's called. Cameron Diaz has a new one that just came out called The Body Book that I don't necessarily want but would like to read. 

I've read a couple of the Bobbi Brown ones and I learned a lot of things from them. Lauren Conrad's books are alright and there were some interesting tidbits in them (like the face mapher website has some stuff that is in her books), but they are aimed more toward someone who is just starting out with makeup and hair. I haven't really read any others and part of it is because I want something that reflects my style, which I think The Craft and LBE will do.

And I'm currently having major hair envy:

a3702ca48ace11e3ba25129d09c8e96a_8.jpg

Demi-Lovato-New-Pink-Hair-Pre-Grammys-Pa

tumblr_mw75lqLNgW1s2917jo1_500.jpg

oooh thanks for the suggestions! i'll look into some of those

i really want to properly get into makeup this year since i've collected some really nice eyeshadows and i got a full brush set for christmas

still sort of on the hunt for foundation though, never worn it before and i feel weird dolling everything else up without it since my skin is far from flawless by itself

GEMMA GEMMA GEMMA

i have existence envy when it comes to gemma styles

i'm torn between this

tumblr_mronftU1pE1s8dmr6o1_500.jpg

and this for my hair personally

tumblr_ms3sf8nJLy1rie27io2_500.png

No problem! I'll keep my eye out for more books/interesting websites. 

I've been using makeup for a few years now, but I started realizing last year that I was doing a lot of things wrong. There are still things I need to brush up on; I could use more work on foundation (which I'm okay at, but I still haven't mastered covering up spots) and even blush (which I only just started attempting to use). Both of those things are really nerve wracking to me, as well as really using eyeshadow. During my "scene phase" in high school, I would use tons of eyeliner but I've definitely toned it down a lot since then. But apparently what I'm doing now isn't working for me as well, because my mom tells me it doesn't look like I'm wearing any (when is okay if you want a really natural look, but I want my eyes to stand out at least). I'm really scared of mascara as well, because I feel like all my eyelashes will fall out every time I use it. XD And the #1 I want to get down is filling in eyebrows. I'd just really love to have makeup figured out by the end of this year.

And I like the colors in my hair now, but it's hard not to get bored. I want to leave the top alone because I finally have my natural highlights back. My ends might be light enough to use a bright color. I don't want to get too dramatic because it needs to be able to grow out quickly or be an easy fix (jobs and internships, blah). I think I'll just do something over spring break. 

Maybe you can visit a makeup counter and ask them about foundations. I know Sephora at least will do your makeup if you ask them to help you. If you really like what they use, you can buy it. 

I can see why you are so tied up between them. Jade has amazing hair as well as Lily Collins/Clary, but you might be able to combine the two if you wanted! You could use a brown-red with ombré. 

i was definitely heavy handed with eyeliner in my 'scene' phase too haha (also my 'i'm avril lavingne' phase)

i wore a lot of eyeshadow too but it was usually only one colour, i never did a proper smokey eye or anything and i'd love to learn how to do that

i switched to gel eyeliner when i started wanting to wear makeup again and i'm still trying to get the hang of it

maybe you're using too drying of a formula? or not getting it off properly? mascara is one thing i've always been alright with because i don't need much of it

blush i've never really worn because my face is usually pretty red (suspicious i have rosacea lol fun) and without foundation to cover that up it's like overkill haha

i have a really nice one i'd like to get some use out of though

foundation has always been my number one enemy because i have no idea what to look for in a formula or coverage and my skin type can be a nightmare and COLOUR is so hard to match for me

i got a few samples at sephora a while back though and i think i found one i like

going to try it a few more times just to make sure before i drop that much money but i think i finally have a winner

see on the one hand i really want jade's hair because i've never had that done that to mine before and i've always wanted to go somewhat blonde and it would look more 'natural'

problem is i'm going grey :neutral: which is why i want to colour my hair in the first place, so i'd need to colour both the brown AND blonde, and i'm not sure i trust myself to get the blonde right so i'd probably want a professional to do it which will be expensive

at least with the red it's just one colour and i could do it myself no problem and i know from experience that i look good with red hair

it's a tough call :(

also growing out fringe is really annoying

Hmm... I don't think I ever had problems removing it but I never thought to try a different formula. Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have a brand of eyeliner you like?

I hope the foundation works out for you! It took me awhile to find one that I liked. I'm always the palest shade and I don't know whether to be proud or mortified. XD

That does make it tough. :\ If you really want to do it soon, maybe just go with red until you can afford to do something more like Jade's. 

Ugh, I know how you feel! It took mine forever to grow out and I haven't had any cut again since. I am trying to grow out all of my layers as well, and I'm almost done. 

no problem! i don't know if it'll actually make a whole lot of difference but it might be worth looking to

i use mac fluidline, usually in blacktrack but i also have it in midnight blues which is like the most gorgeous thing i've ever seen

i almost don't want to use it so i never run out because it was a limited edition that i had to find on ebay haha

i usually am too haha, if it's even pale enough at all

but i'm pretty sure the concealer i've been using is actually a tad too light? which is absolutely shocking to me i didn't know that was possible

yeah maybe

i'm going to grow it out a bit more before i decide on colour

i haven't had a trim since october? and i really need one because my ends are starting to split but my usual hairdresser is on maternity leave and i'm nervous about possibly seeing someone else lol

i like having lots of layers because my hair is really thick but MAN growing out fringe after ten years is annoying

i've always had it on the longer side (like cheekbone level) but right now it's at that awkward stage where it's not quite fringe but doesn't blend in with the length either

I'll check it out, thanks! I just found out about this website, and they have the most amazing lipsticks but I don't know if I could pull any of them off. 

Having to grow hair out just sucks in general. :P

My hair gets SUPER dry in the winter, so I have to use like two different heavy conditioners every night and a leave-in conditioner, plus hair oil and it still looks bad. One year it got so bad I had to cut it to my shoulders and growing it out was a pain. Any tips for that? I don't use straighteners or curling irons.

no problem! i wish i could pull off lipstick at all haha

truuuuuuue omg

this is the longest my hair has been in about ten years even though i've been saying i want to grow it out since like 2009 because i always get so annoyed with the inbetween that i just cut it again

determined to actually see it through this time :P

yikes, my hair tends to be really dry too (especially now that it's winter in the canadian mountains and i'm on accutane lmao i am literally a human desert right now)

hmmm....the only things i can really think of is maybe there's too many silicones in your conditioners? because they can build up over time and if you have too much coating your hair moisturising ingredients can't penetrate properly

do you use a clarifying shampoo ever? that might help if there's build up, and then use like straight coconut oil or something as a treatment after

also it could be your water

the chemicals used to filter water like chlorine and fluoride can be really drying

maybe look into a water filter for your shower head? i've wanted to myself but they can be pretty expensive

a humidifier or something in your room could possibly help too if you tend to be dry all over

have anyone ever used mousse or something for volume?

my hair is flat as hell at the roots and it bugs me :(

You can do it! I get the urges to cut mine all off as well, but I've worked to hard to do it!

I think I'm due for a trim, so I'm going to try to get one in this weekend.

Those are some interesting points. I'm not very conscious of how ingredients affect the body. I use this brand for both hair and body products (not only does it all smell amazing, but they're like the only cruelty free brand I can find in most stores?). I do a vinegar rinse every once in awhile to get rid of any build up, but I will look into a cleansing shampoo when I go to the store tomorrow. 

Same here about the flat hair. I just need a make over, tbh. :P
I don't have any real experience with mousse, but anyone who does, please give us some advice. :)

my ends are splitting so bad but i still don't have it in me to book a trim haha

i started looking into ingredients a few years ago because i had so many issues with my skin and hair and scalp

i've heard about that brand a lot but i've never actually used it, never tried a vinegar rinse either but i've always meant to

idk i switch my products around a lot, really the only thing i've consistently used is moroccanoil but i just ran out :neutral:

same tbh :P

i need to do something with my hair and my makeup and my clothes and everything

• Like 1