- Music Request Thread -

Just wondering if there is any plans to remove this?

If it's not to be removed is there any plans for it to be improved?

Maybe make it private so only members can see it?

The reason why I ask is that a lot of forums that I frequent are starting to get cold feet about the idea and are quickly removing their media request topics and I was wondering where the administration stands on this topic?

Thanks

- Lee

Yeah - when that thread started up, we were a lot smaller and it was really about sending around a few songs here and there to introduce people to bands...and the boards weren't open so anyone could see them.

Now things have changed a lot and you raise some really good points. We're definitely for BUYING music and supporting the artists that make it and against sharing leaks and things that are for sale...so honestly, you're right that this thread does go against a lot of that. It's why we always said it wasn't for sharing full albums, just introducing people to artists and the like - but even then, it could get us in a lot of trouble.

Hmmm.

You could like, delete the current thread and all its incriminating linkage, start again and perhaps add a disclaimer like "pf.com does not endorse or condone blah blah blah not responsible for links shared etc." and insist its all done through either PMs or personal e-mails ? Would that work or would it still land us all in trouble ?

Yeah - the problem is I can't make just that one thread members only - and even then, we're somewhat liable for it. It's not like it's hard to join the boards.

We'll probably wind up shutting it down. It really goes against a lot of what we promote here - and although I'm all about people discovering new bands, it's a pretty fine line between that and stealing music unfortunately...and the labels don't show a lot of distinction between the two when they go after people.

Also if you want to promote a band there are sites like Myspace and Youtube. They are both great if you want to check out a new band.

Because I live in Denmark we don't have the opportunity to buy some of the new bands that are popping up in The US. unless they are on a big record company. So I am using Myspace and youtube a lot to check out new highly rated bands and if I like them I buy them.

So what I am trying to say is that I don't find the thread neccesary because you have so many opportunies to check bands legally.

I think best way is to lock it. You could make this thing that only people with a certain postcount can post in it like punkdidasters does, but to the copyright owners it doesn't change anything much at all. Music of big bands is pretty easy to find after all, both legal and illegally. As for the smaller bands we could ask just in the threads like is already been said and send it trough PM or email. It sure is fun and all this thread, but if I have to choose between losing the music request thread and losing PF, I'd take the thread.

I think we'll continue to have the thread, but we're going to continue to monitor it carefully to ensure that people aren't sharing entire albums or anything like that.

It's for finding out about and trying out new bands or bands you haven't heard before. And, of course, if we get a request from anyone that we take it down or any of the content within the thread, we will.

Sounds good.

I say just close it. Music is something worth buying. Saving a couple of bucks isn't worth losing an entire forum, and possibly getting an extremely expensive lawsuit at said-forum's management.

I agree with you that music is worth buying but some kids have got so used to getting music for free off the internet that they either don't see the point or just don't want to go out and buy the bands CD's.

And having no money isn't an excuse because you can save the cash in order to get the CD's in the end. I am so glad that ISP's are starting to clamp down on people download music because I don't want to see the end of going into a store and buying a CD and just having something physical in my hands.